Shoreline cables

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Hi all

I'm hoping someone with a bit of tech knowledge might be able to help here - I think we all know I'm useless at stuff like this.

Basically at our current moorings, we have the option to go on to shoreline as new meters are going in. We're thinking of going on during winter time and maybe to use occasionally even during 'summer' - the things like the tumble dryer, dishwaher etc which we normally have torun with the engine on.

I know this isn't great for the engine and I also know its more expensive in terms of using diesel for elec.

My question refers to the meters that are going in - basically they're not the normal, round 3 pin plug that most of you have ( I'm guessing). It's basically on a 3 pin normal house plug.

Basically, can I cut the 3 pin round socket connection off the end of my shoreline cable and replace with a normal 3 pin plug to plug into the shoreline box and then put the other end of my shoreline into the back of my boat like normal??

Cheers!

One hopes that the normal house socket is in some way protected from the elements! Rather than remove the round plug, why not make a short adapter lead with a round socket on one end that plugs into the existing longer lead, and a 13 A household plug on the other. That way you still retain a "normal" shore lead in case you move elsewhere. You can buy them ready made up in caravan shops.

Being picky and because you have said it the other way round (even though you may not have meant it) don't forget that its best to plug the lead into the boat first, then the other end into the shore connection, so that you are not carrying a live lead onto the boat, possibly dropping it into the water etc.

Edited by nicknorman

Hi sorry I did forget to mention that yes the boxes are protected in plastic casings - so the plug wud be protected from the elements.

Thanks for the tip about which end to plug in first?

So basically I can just chop the end off for ease and it will still give me all my electrics?

Also I am right in thinking once plugged into shoreline, you're not running thru the 12v and so items that are powered higher than my 1600w inverter will work via shoreline? Eg iron, motorised stand mixer which never runs on the right speeds via the inverter?

Cheers

Hi sorry I did forget to mention that yes the boxes are protected in plastic casings - so the plug wud be protected from the elements.

So basically I can just chop the end off for ease and it will still give me all my electrics?

Also I am right in thinking once plugged into shoreline, you're not running thru the 12v and so items that are powered higher than my 1600w inverter will work via shoreline? Eg iron, motorised stand mixer which never runs on the right speeds via the inverter?

Cheers

Yes but why not buy the proper conversion lead (cable). Much safer and waterproof.

Amazon link (just a sample not a recommendation) http://www.amazon.co.uk/car-motorbike/dp/B002CM9BK4

Depending on your set up all 240v items will be run on the shoreline up to the maximum the shoreline will supply, about 3Kw, (CHECK amps, ask installer) the inverter will be bypassed.

edit: fat fingers

Edited by bottle

Cheers

I assume that you have the means to connect the shore line to your boat which should terminate in a domestic type "fuse box" and that you are able to disconnect your inverter unless it is a UPS model. Oh and the possible reason your food mixer is naughty may be because your inverter is not a pure sine wave model.

Phil

sorry, spelling

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Although you can just chop the end off if the cable is 2.5mm then you will struggle to get it in a domestic 13amp plug. Even with a good quality 13amp plug (not available in most shops) its hard.

I would go for an adapter with a moulded plug as its better and safer.

except that one is not a moulded 13amp plug so is less water resistant than a moulded one.

But the OP states that they will be plugged into protected sockets:

there are protected sockets and protected sockets.

In fact even most blue connectors are only splash proof and not waterproof.

I would, and have always erred on the side of caution when it comes to outdoor electricity.

I thought that the IEE wiring Regulations Code of Practice for marinas said something like "All socket outlets must be to BS EN 60309-2 with keyways at 6R, protected to IPX4 minimum, coloured red if three-phase and blue if single-phase." Anybody got Part 7 of the regs handy to confirm- it should be in 709?

A 13 A household socket would not satisfy this so I would ask your marina operator why his installation does not conform to the IEE's Code of Practice

N

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill make sure I get one of those fly adapter leads.

I thought that the IEE wiring Regulations Code of Practice for marinas said something like "All socket outlets must be to BS EN 60309-2 with keyways at 6R, protected to IPX4 minimum, coloured red if three-phase and blue if single-phase." Anybody got Part 7 of the regs handy to confirm- it should be in 709?A 13 A household socket would not satisfy this so I would ask your marina operator why his installation does not conform to the IEE's Code of PracticeN

That's interesting, although we're not a marina as such, its farm end moorings and electricity is being provided out of the generosity of the land owner. We're lucky as we have toilet disposal on site, water and the option of elec. the farm end moorings next to us have nothing but the space you moor your boat with the nearest water point about a mile away!

I'm sure his response, if I questioned him about the elec conforming would be something along the lines of.....either use it or don't if you don't feel comfortable with it! To which I agree!

The units all have an RCDor some sort of safety trip switch on them too.

I suppose I will just have to be very careful with it all. It won't be something that's left plugged in anyway, as we mostly live off solar, so I'll see how we get on

Edited by lewisericeric

Here's an adapter with moulded plug:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Generator-Fly-Lead-Converter-Caravan-Hook-Up-Cable-13a-Plug-to-16a-Socket-/261175235449

Even if the plug is well protected from rain, splashes, I'd still prefer a moulded one to stop spideys etc taking up residence in the plug and causing nuisance trips.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I'm not sure if you're already doing this because the 13amp plug thing has thrown me, but make sure you're using blue arctic cable for your shore power lead. Ordinary cable is not adequately UV and temperature resistant. 2.5mm2 thick 3 core (for a 16amp supply).

Edited by blackrose

A dish washer?

A tumble drier?

Etc?

I have none, i must be living in poverty.

Am I the only one?

Glenn

I lived without them all for over a year on board after previously having them in my apartment and other homes I'd owned. Therefore, after a year without, I felt I could make an informed decision that life was easier with those appliances and chose to have them again.

Just because I live aboard a boat doesn't mean I have to life some sort of pilgrim lifestyle. I'm not on a boat to prove a point :)

And at the end of the day, there's enough cr@p in life to deal with, so why not make life easier where you can - I hate washing up and I can't be doing with stressing about getting clothes dry etc - so I solved the problem!

Edited by lewisericeric
  • Greenie 1

Careful....hookup is like a virus...when you connect it, you wont want to disconnect it :)))))))

Hope you're all doing well....your mooring sounds idyllic.

Hi dean. Great to hear from you, yes we're not too bad - sure you've heard news from M. The mooring is lovely - the views are amazing, are you still travelling around?

Hi dean. Great to hear from you, yes we're not too bad - sure you've heard news from M. The mooring is lovely - the views are amazing, are you still travelling around?

Yup:) We're back in the marina 1Nov :) Loving it.

I lived without them all for over a year on board after previously having them in my apartment and other homes I'd owned. Therefore, after a year without, I felt I could make an informed decision that life was easier with those appliances and chose to have them again.

Just because I live aboard a boat doesn't mean I have to life some sort of pilgrim lifestyle. I'm not on a boat to prove a point smile.png

And at the end of the day, there's enough cr@p in life to deal with, so why not make life easier where you can - I hate washing up and I can't be doing with stressing about getting clothes dry etc - so I solved the problem!

Seconded, we always said "we may live on a boat but we ai'nt camping"

Phil

• Greenie 1