Alternator loose wire?

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Hi,

just noticed that there is a green wire to my leisure battery alternator which is not connected to anything. It leads to the ADVERC battery management box and according to the manual should be connected to the "F" terminal. There is no terminal near it but I notice that inside the small slot (arrowed) there is a piece of metal which bears the marks of being soldered and the cable is the right length with a bend to reach. Batteries seem to be charging OK but I guess the wire is there for a reason.

What is the wire for and should it be just soldered to a piece of metal. I have worked out that F stand for Field and I guess the piece of metal is connect to the field winding. However, looking for advice before I do anything.

wire.jpg

Thanks

Martin

If you don't have a copy the ADVERC instructions can be found online here

http://www.adverc.co.uk/cm/files/pdf/Adverc_installation_basic.pdf

Sensible advice.

OP, just because it looks like it came from somewhere, don't assume it did. Guessing is a sure fire way to set something on fire.

The green wire should be connected to the field brush. Since this is the main field control wire the alternator will work with internal regulator only until its connected allowing the Adverc to take over.

Which field brush the green wire goes to depends on whether positive or negative field control. Most are negative though with one brush at battery volts. Its the other one the green wire goes to, but see instructions to identify.

From your description that sounds like the field sensing wire for an external alternator regulator. The alternator in your picture looks like a Lucas A127 which does not have an external F terminal. The Field wire is usually green (although I have seen white ones) and normally enters the alternator through the opening indicated in your photo. The wire is normally soldered to the rectifier terminal immediately below the opening. Soldering it is a pig, as the terminals are usually stainless steel, I always order the rectifier with the field wire already fitted.

I am basing my observations on the set up we have on our boat, which has a Sterling Advanced Alternator regulator installed, I can only assume that it would be the same on an Adverc.

Sensible advice.

OP, just because it looks like it came from somewhere, don't assume it did. Guessing is a sure fire way to set something on fire.

Yes obviously. That's why I posted the question.

Martin

From your description that sounds like the field sensing wire for an external alternator regulator. The alternator in your picture looks like a Lucas A127 which does not have an external F terminal. The Field wire is usually green (although I have seen white ones) and normally enters the alternator through the opening indicated in your photo. The wire is normally soldered to the rectifier terminal immediately below the opening. Soldering it is a pig, as the terminals are usually stainless steel, I always order the rectifier with the field wire already fitted.

I am basing my observations on the set up we have on our boat, which has a Sterling Advanced Alternator regulator installed, I can only assume that it would be the same on an Adverc.

That sounds like what I'm staring at. So effectively my adverc is not controlling the alternator at the moment.

I agree soldering it will be a pig. I'll see if I can get a replacement rectifier with the wire fitted.

Thanks

Martin

Sensible advice.

A tip for non technical people like myself:

Take close-up photos of all major electrical components to show the wiring. Then when you need to do any maintenance, or if a wire/cable comes adrift, you will know where it should go.

Yes obviously. That's why I posted the question.

Martin

That sounds like what I'm staring at. So effectively my adverc is not controlling the alternator at the moment.

I agree soldering it will be a pig. I'll see if I can get a replacement rectifier with the wire fitted.

Thanks

Martin

These people will supply you with one with the wire already attached :- Vehicle Electrics. 166 Stockfield Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham, West Midlands. B27 6AU Tel: 0121 7060688

They do trade on eBay as well, but if you can't get one, let me know, and I can let you have the regulator off a defunct A127 alternator in my workshop.

These people will supply you with one with the wire already attached :- Vehicle Electrics. 166 Stockfield Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham, West Midlands. B27 6AU Tel: 0121 7060688

They do trade on eBay as well, but if you can't get one, let me know, and I can let you have the regulator off a defunct A127 alternator in my workshop.

Quite reasonably priced too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290714186281

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Hi,

just noticed that there is a green wire to my leisure battery alternator which is not connected to anything. It leads to the ADVERC battery management box and according to the manual should be connected to the "F" terminal. There is no terminal near it but I notice that inside the small slot (arrowed) there is a piece of metal which bears the marks of being soldered and the cable is the right length with a bend to reach. Batteries seem to be charging OK but I guess the wire is there for a reason.

What is the wire for and should it be just soldered to a piece of metal. I have worked out that F stand for Field and I guess the piece of metal is connect to the field winding. However, looking for advice before I do anything.

wire.jpg

Thanks

Martin

Any auto electrician should be able to fix it for you, no need to but a new one.

If it is the Adverc wire then that indicates the alternator has been changed so it may now have a 14.4 volt regulated output. If so and as long as you are not using a basic split charge diode or have charging circuit problems then refitting the cable may well be a waste of time and money unless you also tweak the Adverc to make it give an even higher volatge. Doing that might lead to excess gassing. Advercs are normally set (for wet open cell batteries) to 14.4 to 14.5 at the battery, volts so if your regulator is already providing that you will not gain anything.

If it is the Adverc wire then that indicates the alternator has been changed so it may now have a 14.4 volt regulated output. If so and as long as you are not using a basic split charge diode or have charging circuit problems then refitting the cable may well be a waste of time and money unless you also tweak the Adverc to make it give an even higher volatge. Doing that might lead to excess gassing. Advercs are normally set (for wet open cell batteries) to 14.4 to 14.5 at the battery, volts so if your regulator is already providing that you will not gain anything.

Thanks Tony.,

I Have now removed the regulator and can clearly see where the wire has been attached to the right hand terminal. Still has a loop of wire in the solder looks like wire has simply snapped under stress, probably from vibration. I'll try to reconnect it.

Many thanks for your advice.

IMG_2737.jpg

Martin

Thanks Tony.,

I Have now removed the regulator and can clearly see where the wire has been attached to the right hand terminal. Still has a loop of wire in the solder looks like wire has simply snapped under stress, probably from vibration. I'll try to reconnect it.

Many thanks for your advice.

IMG_2737.jpg

Martin

The connection has broken because the green wire has not been anchored to prevent strain on the connection.

I suggest a longer wire (multi-strand) and find some way of anchoring it to prevent movement near the connection. A small cable tie might fit. Sleeving the wire where it emerges will prevent chafing against the alternator case and also provide some strain relief.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Bought one from their ebay site. Very good quality with soldered connection set in some sort of gel which will ensure it doesn't come lose.

Martin