Make your own ecofan!

Québec

Featured Posts

Given the heat generated on the many threads concerning ecofans, and not having looked Waterways World for ages, the article on how to make your own stove fan for less than the (currently reduced) price of the March WW is well worth the price for the entertainment value alone. :cheers:

Edited by Québec

Mine does.

Mine does. The test was to place a smoky joss stick in front of the eco fan. The smell got to the rear of the boat.

Can anybody please explain the science of Peltier plates?

It took me a while to understand gas fridges.

[quote name='jelunga' timestamp='1330675658' post='833875'

Voodoo and black magic!

sorry coat!

Peltiers are a lot easier than a gas fridge mees thinks.

They basically work on a wire thats made up of two alternating metals. When current is passed through it one junction heats and the other cools. Then you set the wire up so that all the 'hot' junctions are on one side of an insulator and all the cold junctions are on the other.

Eco fans work on using the reverse method (seebeck) where you apply hot to one side and cool the other and current is generated.

Peltiers are a lot easier than a gas fridge mees thinks.

They basically work on a wire thats made up of two alternating metals. When current is passed through it one junction heats and the other cools. Then you set the wire up so that all the 'hot' junctions are on one side of an insulator and all the cold junctions are on the other.

Eco fans work on using the reverse method (seebeck) where you apply hot to one side and cool the other and current is generated.

I can distinctly recall that when last at college (extreme moons ago) - I was peltiered with snowballs - - - the front side of me was cold, and the back stayed warm

But I didn't feel any electricity

Does that mean my Eekofan wasn't working?

Mine does. The test was to place a smoky joss stick in front of the eco fan. The smell got to the rear of the boat.

That's easy. It's exactly the same as a thermocouple, only the other way around

The Ecofan must be using a thermocouple by the way

Richard

We've found sticking the dog on top of the stove creates a pelt-aire effect. Placing joss sticks at regular intervals down the boat demonstrated conclusively that the air expelled while it howled managed to get right down to the back of the boat.

• Greenie 1

Mine didn't. Two big ecofans on the top of my big stove made no difference whatsoever. Perhaps they work better in the confined spaces of a narrowboat.

Have you tried the joss stick test without an ecofan? :unsure: The smell might get there by iteself...

Edited by blackrose

We've found sticking the dog on top of the stove creates a pelt-aire effect. Placing joss sticks at regular intervals down the boat demonstrated conclusively that the air expelled while it howled managed to get right down to the back of the boat.

:lol: mental pictures are a really bad thing :lol: :lol:

Mine didn't. Two big ecofans on the top of my big stove made no difference whatsoever. Perhaps they work better in the confined spaces of a narrowboat.

Have you tried the joss stick test without an ecofan? :unsure: The smell might get there by iteself...

I think you may be right. My boat is only 23 feet. When the fire is at the right temp, it's much too hot at that end, and chilly down at the bow end.

The ecofan goes a long way to equalising the temp, and of course at that short distance we can still feel the breeze the fan makes.

We love ours!

Our boat's 60'

When one end is too cool, I go to the chilly end, wife stays at warm end.

I ask wife to start talking

There's plenty of air circulation throughout the boat . . . temperature equalises after about three minutes

When wife runs out of things to say (5 - 6 hours) I return to the saloon.

You should have bought them from me! I have been offering a money-back guarantee on Ecofans for over 3 years now and haven't had one back yet! And I sell quite a few . . .

Ecofans

• Greenie 1

Our boat's 60'

When one end is too cool, I go to the chilly end, wife stays at warm end.

I ask wife to start talking

There's plenty of air circulation throughout the boat . . . temperature equalises after about three minutes

When wife runs out of things to say (5 - 6 hours) I return to the saloon.

You'll burn for eternity for that

You should have bought them from me! I have been offering a money-back guarantee on Ecofans for over 3 years now and haven't had one back yet! And I sell quite a few . . .

Ecofans

You keep telling us all they work when we know they dont. How many years have you lived aboard to not yet understand they are a pile of poo ? :cheers:

Perhaps they work better in the confined spaces of a narrowboat.

No sorry Mike - they are equally ineffective in a NB......

You've also got to ask - when you see the price of the spare blades and the motors where the hell the price of a complete one comes from, there's only the 'body' left to take the price to over a hundred quid... :o

Replacement blade kit - 2 gold (+£9.99) (+£8.99)

Replacement blade kit - 2 nickel (+£9.99) (+£8.99)

Replacement blade kit - 3 gold (+£11.95) (+£10.76)

Replacement blade kit - 3 nickel (+£11.95) (+£10.76)

Replacement motor kit - fits all models (+£9.99) (+£8.99)

Edited by MJG