Boat insurance

Ianey

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I need to insure my new liveaboard widebeam and wondered if anyone would recommend good insurance company.... But if you recommend a company, please could you say the reason why you're recommending that particular company?

Thanks

Ianey

Hi there,

I need to insure my new liveaboard widebeam and wondered if anyone would recommend good insurance company.... But if you recommend a company, please could you say the reason why you're recommending that particular company?

Thanks

Ianey

For ease of arranging cover we are currently with Craft insure-

The true measure of course of an insurance co. (of any type) is how quickly, efficiently and fairly they deal with a claim - fortunately we haven't had to do that yet so can't make a comment.

Craft Insure linky

Saga was very competitive for one of our boats, although you do need I think to be 50 plus to qualify.

Some have suggested there are too many exclusions in their cover, but looking at policy small print I found no greater evidence than with other insurers.

Unlike quite a few you can go on connecting tidal waters (e.g. Thames in central London), without needing to tell them, and there are no obvious restrictions on towing other boats.

I'm not apparently allowed to tow water skiers though, which will disappoint some on here who think we tend to race from destination to destination. :rolleyes:

Oh, thats good to know. I am with GJW Direct and they wanted to see my survey (done in September) as the boat is over 20 years old. They then ask for one every seven years. I thought this was standard and didn't realise some companies would not demand it so often.

Edited by Starcoaster

Hi there,

Thanks

Ianey

We have been with Euromarine for more years than I can remember but certainly well in excess of ten or fifteen years. I got my renewal today and never shop around. There is always a real; person on the fone and no button pressing. My brother in law bought a boat six years ago and went with them. A couple of years ago he was forced into a bridge arch by another boat and damaged his cabin, nothing major it cost him a grand to get it fixed. We talked and he asked me if I thought his insurance would cover it I said No chance you should be a better driver :lol: . He contacted them and told them the facts and they said send the bill in and they immediately settled it without question so it seems they pay out when needed.

We have been with Euromarine for more years than I can remember but certainly well in excess of ten or fifteen years. I got my renewal today and never shop around. There is always a real; person on the fone and no button pressing. My brother in law bought a boat six years ago and went with them. A couple of years ago he was forced into a bridge arch by another boat and damaged his cabin, nothing major it cost him a grand to get it fixed. We talked and he asked me if I thought his insurance would cover it I said No chance you should be a better driver :lol: . He contacted them and told them the facts and they said send the bill in and they immediately settled it without question so it seems they pay out when needed.

Thanks for your reply, it's service like this that I was looking for.... Real service when in the moment of need....

Thanks again

Ianey

Towergate Mardon are good.

They do liveaboards (some don't) and also do the contents cover.

They don't do a huge price hike each year for existing cutomers, and you can negotiate a little reduction sometimes.

Also gave us no problems when we asked for cover for trading.

.........Dave

If Matty suddenly found himself in Europe without having planned it - I suspect he'll have taken a wrong turning somewhere

If he had planned it - I'm sure he would have arranged insurance to cover

I can go as far as the Thames Barrier, any further and I would have to take further cover, however, this was not expensive. I did look into this because I fancied doing the Barking Creek SPCC trip.

But will they cover tidal waters and Europe I wonder? Craftinsure do btw.

I'm with Craftsure too and have no complaints. Everything is done online and this keeps premiums highly competitive.

Its odd that if they cover tidal waters, yet charged me extra when I went from on the Severn from Sharpness to Portishead?

I'm quite happy with them so far, but its not til I have a claim that I will know for sure.

Prefer not to have to find out actually!

Brian