Unpleasant hire boater

J R

Featured Posts

When the rain stopped earlier today, we decided to move the boat and ended up moored outside the George at Bathampton on the rings for lunch. We did not go to the George. A couple of spaces behind us was an Anglo Welsh hire boat called Golden Oriel. As we had finished our foood and were preparing to move on there was a very loud bang at the stern followed by a further thud. It shook the cups and saucers such was the inpact. Going to the bows to see what was going on, the hire boat speeded past. I said 'You have just hit my boat' expecting red faces from the boat and a 'sorry'. No problem there as it happens and even experienced boats sometimes have lapses. The response from the offending boat was 'so' to which I replied 'you have just hit my boat!' His reply was 'you are a f*****g d**k head' to which I replied that I was not, to which he gave me the finger followed by narrowly missing the bridge hole.

My family were offended by his agressive responsive, as no doubt were the families with young children who were feeding the ducks and taking a stroll. I telephoned the hire base to report the incident and the person on duty who was very apologisitic and helpful explained that 'Mr Harvey has hired from us three or four times and thinks he owns the canal. It will be reported to the base manager on Monday'. I pointed out that a tin of paint at Mr Harveys expense would not go amiss. Only did the touching up of the scrapes and bangs two weeks ago!

We moved off a few minutes later and planned to turn around at the winding hole just before the swing bridge which we did without incident. During this I noticed a boat 100 yards or so away between the winding hole and the swingbridge was right accross the canal therefore blocking it. Thought that they were mooring/unmooring and as it obviously was a livaboard boat thought that they would be ok. A couple of minutes later it was clear that the boat was not moving and that it had broken away from its moorings. It is something that has happened to most of us no doubt including us (other kind people have helped us when we have been away in the past), so started to reverse back down the canal in order to retrieve the boat. Some people on bikes on the towpath called over to us to say that there was a boat adrift. 'Thanks; reversing to sort it out'. When I arrived at the boat and started retrievel a Sally Narrowboats (hire) boat came in the opposit direction. Their reaction was to pull their boat into the towpath side and offer to help out. How kind and refreshing. Their help was gratefully accepted. An adjacent livaboard pointed out that Golden Oriel had sped past a few minutes earlier, no other boats had passed in either direction, and consequently caused the livaboard boaat to be cast adrift.

Mr Harvey is due back at the Anglo Welsh, or is it Anglo Bash, base at 9.00 am on this coming Saturday hopefully without upsetting any more considerate folk.

My family were offended by his agressive responsive, as no doubt were the families with young children who were feeding the ducks and taking a stroll. I telephoned the hire base to report the incident and the person on duty who was very apologisitic and helpful explained that 'Mr Harvey has hired from us three or four times and thinks he owns the canal. It will be reported to the base manager on Monday'. I pointed out that a tin of paint at Mr Harveys expense would not go amiss. Only did the touching up of the scrapes and bangs two weeks ago!

Mr Harvey is due back at the Anglo Welsh, or is it Anglo Bash, base at 9.00 am on this coming Saturday hopefully without upsetting any more considerate folk.

He has alledgedly committed a public order offence. Section 4A of the Public Order Act 1986 creates the distinct offence of intentional harassment, alarm or distress. Under section 5,1 a & b

The offence is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he:

A. uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

B. displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

This is a summary offence. It is punishable with a fine not exceeding £1,000.

Maybe someone could pass on the information to Mr Harvey. I am sure that any complaint made to the appropriate police force could get someone to meet Mr Harvey on Saturday and to offer Mr Harvey some advice.

edited twice to get rid of the unintentional smiley... (B)

Edited by Mick and Maggie

I am sure that any complaint made to the appropriate police force could get someone to meet Mr Harvey on Saturday and to offer Mr Harvey some advice.

surely several smiley,s were accidentally deleted from the end of this , its a good joke.

surely several smiley,s were accidentally deleted from the end of this , its a good joke.

Is it?

Are you firmly in the camp that says that nothing should be done about people who engage in low-level bullying behaviour towards their fellow men?

I have to ask the question though;

If the hire company KNOWS how this person behaves, why on earth have they accepted his booking?

• Greenie 1

Is it?

Are you firmly in the camp that says that nothing should be done about people who engage in low-level bullying behaviour towards their fellow men?

I have to ask the question though;

If the hire company KNOWS how this person behaves, why on earth have they accepted his booking?

Because they are in the business of hiring out boats and he has the cash to pay for one.

The camp i am in is the one that believes approaching the police with such a story and expecting them to take any action is taking the piss , i am sure more important things are there to be dealt with.

A complaint to the hire base is already made , he has asked for can of paint , end of story , get on with the boating and this very minor incident will or should be forgotten before the next bridge hole , life is to short.

I assume you got the right base, as they knew who you were talking about. One problem is there are three Anglo-Welsh Bases within about eight miles, and each is a mini-franchise which simply takes the hirers they are sent, with six or seven boats, they can do little else.

I think what is frustrating is that the base clearly know this guy, and are not in a position to refuse him. In view of this, note your conversations and take it up with Anglo Welsh HQ.

Because they are in the business of hiring out boats and he has the cash to pay for one.

Yes, they are in the business of hiring out boats. They are NOT however in the business of doing so indiscriminately.

They brobably don't take all male or all female parties, due to potential damage, and if they had any sense, they would appreciate that the costs involved in dealing with the fall-out from such a hirer probably outweighs the profit they make.

• Greenie 2

The camp i am in is the one that believes approaching the police with such a story and expecting them to take any action is taking the piss , i am sure more important things are there to be dealt with.

A complaint to the hire base is already made , he has asked for can of paint , end of story , get on with the boating and this very minor incident will or should be forgotten before the next bridge hole , life is to short.

:D

I am with you all the way on this one, I have been whacked big time on several occasions over the years and whilst it can be a pain in the arse its no big deal to lose paint and yes the police have far more serious things to deal with and yes life is too short...there are rsoles in all walks of life but having dealt with some very major grief in my time this pales in to insignificance..........

We bumped into a pleasant hire boater this morning in the torrential rain.

We had just left Stockton Heath on the Bridgewater Canal when the steerer on an oncoming Middlewich hireboat lost control and started to veer across the canal directly in front of us.

Immediately our boat was put in to reverse very hard and we managed to get away with a minor head on bump with no damage or injuries to either party.

We had a laugh at all the heads appearing at the other boats doors and windows and joked with the steerer that we had just woken all his crew up.

He apologised for his mistake and both boats carried on to their destinations.

Steve

I am with you all the way on this one, I have been whacked big time on several occasions over the years and whilst it can be a pain in the arse its no big deal to lose paint and yes the police have far more serious things to deal with and yes life is too short...there are rsoles in all walks of life but having dealt with some very major grief in my time this pales in to insignificance..........

Being hit by another boater is a fairly minor irritation.

Being hit by another boater who doesn't bother to say sorry is more of an irritation.

Being hit by another boater who doesn't say sorry, and who adopts an attitude that he can behave that way if he chooses is a pain in the arse.

Finding that the self same boater launches into a tirade of foul language because somebody dares to take issue when bumped is a step too far, and crosses a line.

Being hit by another boater is a fairly minor irritation.

Being hit by another boater who doesn't bother to say sorry is more of an irritation.

Being hit by another boater who doesn't say sorry, and who adopts an attitude that he can behave that way if he chooses is a pain in the arse.

Finding that the self same boater launches into a tirade of foul language because somebody dares to take issue when bumped is a step too far, and crosses a line.

:(

Yes for some lucky people I would agree with you it may cross the line but for some of us who have dealt with massively more grief at work etc than some lucky people then No, to me it is trivia, just my view though..........

:(

Yes for some lucky people I would agree with you it may cross the line but for some of us who have dealt with massively more grief at work etc than some lucky people then No, to me it is trivia, just my view though..........

When you've dealt with enough crap in life, you reach a point where you are no longer willing to notch some stuff up as "trivia"

When you've dealt with enough crap in life, you reach a point where you are no longer willing to notch some stuff up as "trivia"

:)

Hi

Just sent you a pm but forgot to ask what the Peak forest is like now, we are coming up next year and not been there for about 18 years..............? :smiley_offtopic:

Alarmingly, I concur. There's such a thing as proportionality, and as unpleasant and annoying as this was, it doesn't warrant either the police time or indeed the ongoing inconvenience to the aggrieved who would, if a charge was made, undoubtedly end up wasting hours as a court witness only to see an unsatisfactory result. The defence would be 'I didn't intend to insult them - to me 'f*cking d*ckhead' is normal langauge, or possibly 'I have anger management issues - I was deeply ashamed of what I had done, and my bad language was an unfortunmate manifestation of my anger at myself for having handled the boat so badly'.

What we have always needed is one simple offence of 'Being a twat' in the opinion of two or more members of the public present at the time. £50 fine, sorted.

:)

Hi

Just sent you a pm but forgot to ask what the Peak forest is like now, we are coming up next year and not been there for about 18 years..............? :smiley_offtopic:

It is lovely. Easily the nicest section of canal in the country. Could do with some dredging, but apart from that, you will wonder why you haven't been there for so long.

It is lovely. Easily the nicest section of canal in the country. Could do with some dredging, but apart from that, you will wonder why you haven't been there for so long.

:cheers:

Great Ill let ya know when we are up there and go for a beer..... :smiley_offtopic::cheers:

jr, be assured, if said hire boater passes whimbrel while i'm out side, i'll be sure to point out the error of his ways with a boat pole. See you on saturday i expect

Craig

Agree with Gaggle; not worth reporting to the police.

To Magpie Patrick; do have the right base for Anglo Welsh.

To Craig/Whimbrele. See you Saturday. Do you need paint as well? :rolleyes:

Been hit by hire boats, as usual, so many times this year. Gave up counting in June! Don't usually moan; like to get on with it and be left alone. Fact of life; it can be a contact sport for wan't of a better phrase. But, Mr Harvey.................................?

Will update the board on the paint supply!

I only have a few weeks experience of being a boat owner verses a boat hirer...

The one and only time we've been hit hard with any real significance in that time has been by....

a private owner misjudging their entry into a lock....

and he apologised....

I only have a few weeks experience of being a boat owner verses a boat hirer...

The one and only time we've been hit hard with any real significance in that time has been by....

a private owner misjudging their entry into a lock....

and he apologised....

Which is as it should be.

Accidents happen, and an apology puts 99% of accidents right.

However, when people start to assume that they have a right to hit other boats, whether by genuine accident or due to gross neglect, and not offer an apology, they do need to be made to understand that their behaviour is not acceptable.

Which is as it should be.

Accidents happen, and an apology puts 99% of accidents right.

However, when people start to assume that they have a right to hit other boats, whether by genuine accident or due to gross neglect, and not offer an apology, they do need to be made to understand that their behaviour is not acceptable.

Dave - I think you miss the subtly of my point.....

as in, all that time I've never been hit by a hire boat and there are a good few 'canal time' boats on our stretch....

This is a subject close to my heart.Recently we were cruising on the thames near to lechlade,most of those that have done that end of the thames will know that its rather twisty turney,and most of the moorings are on fields using good old fashioned spikes.I know its a river,therefore deeper and wider.but a lot narrower than further downstream.We were safely moored up for the night.It was around 8.30pm and dark and raining.when we heard the sound of an engine coming on a bit fast.It was a narrow boat from Anglo welsh going flat out,music blasting out,and had about 6 guys standing on the roof,p**sed as farts and shouting abuse at us pearing out of our port holes.One shouted to us... "Do you wankers smoke weed all day?"

Due to their speed we we ripped off our pins,i was able to get my boots on just in time to jump to the bank before we started to drift away.

I know its a hot topic on here this sort of thing, but what is it about hire companies ??? do they not warn these idiots about the problems they cause with their speeds.One thing we have noticed every time we go on the Thames is that the Plastic boats with their 'suburban sea captains'have no respect for moored up boats on pins either.

I have contacted Anglo welsh on the Thames,and they will be having a word with the hirers,bit like shutting the stable door me thinks.

Dave