Unpleasant hire boater

J R

Featured Posts

I have never hit another boat nor pulled of such a shockingly poor manouvre as that.

PS: You may both need to get your eyes tested. The person at the wheel is male!!

really? not even when you were speeding? i thought someones boat got damaged

Might help if you stop trawling up sh*t from the past that has little relevance to the topic in hand.

This is more like the old forum keep it up filis,recently its been like logging on to the WI Cleethorpes branch. ps you've spelt manoeuvre wrong :rolleyes:

This is more like the old forum keep it up filis,recently its been like logging on to the WI Cleethorpes branch. ps you've spelt manoeuvre wrong :rolleyes:

While I can understand Phylis being a little fed up at people keep raising a one off incident inw hcih she admits she was a bit silly, I can only agree with the Cleethorpes WI sentiment, especially the lack of custom in the unStable bar...

Of course, because these heathens don't visit the unStable Bar, they have no idea what you are talking about.

Fancy a pint, Beelzebub?

Actually, now you mention it, what is he talking about?

A couple of years back I arrived at Rugeley and moored to then find, a couple of boats away the bloke who moors next to me in the marina in a state of shock. He had just been rammed in very similar circumstances to you, by a hire boats. He was cross ing the bridge and, looking down saw the hire boat - some days out from base and moored facing his boat putting their ropes on the boat and engaging forward gear with no effort to push off the bank. They rammed his boat head on, then went to reverse, backed and rammed again. By this time my friend had got to the towpath and as they backed again yelled at them to stop. Mr. steerer - a middle aged type yelled a string of filth at him and while he did his front end came out enough for the next ramming to bounce him into mid canal at which point he left a speed still hurling insults. My friend found his wife on the floor in a state of shock in the front well where she had been sitting making a rag rug until the initial hit put her on the floor where she rolled about through hits two and three. Later my friend wrote to the (well respected) hire firm giving them chapter and verse. His first letter cwas not replied to, his second got a curt note informing that he was too late to complain and anyway it was his word against the hirer.

I got a similar (verbal) response from some cretin at Anglo Welsh Wotton Wawen when I dared to say that two of his hire boats racing (on the South Stratford!) had ripped my pins out the ground and tore a safety rope to pieces. His sarky answer was that I should have leaped onto the boats and confiscated their keys. I had stopped to buy a card but after that we moved off on tickover across the basin to have the verbal pig come to the narrows and start screaming at us to slow past moored boats - we were amazed at his actions.

Mind you we did see a private from one of those marinas near Napton turn who also used the ram. In his case he wanted to moor and on more than one accasion we saw him seee a boat about to leave and then he simply drove into its space. The fact the boat had not fully left and so he hit two that we saw didn't bother him in his new shiney boat and he seemed oblivious to people yelling at him. I was rather hoping he might meet a couple of chaps I have met who floored boaters for such moves.

:blush:

...... is due back at the Anglo Welsh, or is it Anglo Bash, base

Round here AW are known as "Yellow Perils" and afforded as much space as possible, (somewhat unfairly I suspect). In fairness, such loutish behaviour remains fairly uncommon, which makes it all so much more remarkable when it does happen.

Round here AW are known as "Yellow Perils" and afforded as much space as possible, (somewhat unfairly I suspect). In fairness, such loutish behaviour remains fairly uncommon, which makes it all so much more remarkable when it does happen.

You sure you mean Anglo Welsh? Yellow Peril sounds more like Viking Afloat (and Ed Helps will thump me if he sees that!).

Only from the colour Ed...

I drive a heavy goods vehicle all over the country, and encounter this attitude all the time, it seems sadly it is now filtering through to the canals. we can now look forward to 50ft BMW and AUDIS

Along with narrowboats that move out to overtake another narrowboat but then their speed limiters kick in and they block the two nearside lanes....