single handed boating lock mate remote control

colin1325

Featured Posts

hi all any one here know if the remote tiller and throttle system is available in the market place yet ? i will soon be a single handed canal person so to speak and may need some help.

judging by the few comments i have read here it seems that all is not rosy red on the canal today . I imagined that fellow boaters would be well a little more considerate than the picture beginning to form in my mind already. perhaps road rage is coming to the canals . any help on finding the remote system would be appreciated colin

hi all any one here know if the remote tiller and throttle system is available in the market place yet ? i will soon be a single handed canal person so to speak and may need some help.

judging by the few comments i have read here it seems that all is not rosy red on the canal today . I imagined that fellow boaters would be well a little more considerate than the picture beginning to form in my mind already. perhaps road rage is coming to the canals . any help on finding the remote system would be appreciated colin

Hmm i saw this on itvs waterworld series last year but havent heard anymore about it

Edited by challenger_33

I've been boating 20 odd years, most of it single handed. I've never needed remote control and, if anything, have got more help (needed or not) in recent years, purely because there are more boaters about,

Hmm i saw this on itvs waterworld series last year but havent heard anymore about it

I also saw this on waterworld and back in august i saw the same man coming down lapworth flight,he had an advert on the side of his boat about his remote control design but sorry i cant remember his or boat name,someone on here will know iam sure.

Wouldn't it be best to learn how to single hand a boat through a lock? Not sure if there are any courses on it. Whilst like some people I have a gadget-fetish and would think a remote controlled boat awesome, seeing someone expertly take a boat through single hand using ropes would be just as good a sight. (IMO :D)

Yeah, and it bets the question, do you really want you boat seting off without you?

- Is is possable,a nd i might do it for a laugh if i didnt have a boat that already keeps me very busy.

- However from a practical point of view, proberbly not a good idead i woudlnt say, not to rely on.

Comertially you can get electrickery power rudder solutions, however im not aware of a system that is actually wireless. Although making a system work that way would be very easy.

Daniel

Wouldn't it be best to learn how to single hand a boat through a lock?

Agreed. I can handle my 30 tonne widebeam on my own through canal locks, Thames locks & tidal reaches. I learned how to single hand through trial & error on an old Springer without a reverse gear. It's not that difficult - if I can do it anyone should be able to.

When you're single handed your centrerope is your lifeline. You don't need a remote control to take a narrowboat through a lock.

Do a search for "remote control" , will take you to earlier threads on this subject.

Neil

There is an inherent danger in going up a lock using a centre line for control, as Chris J W recently found out. Roof fitted eyes for centrelines are often very weak and if this breaks while you are slowing the boat down using a bollard you may well get it coming towards you very fast - you are likely to be in line with it. Non elastic rope will reduce the potential for injury.

I race model yachts using Futaba Radio control which is superb gear. Occasionally, once or twice a season, it goes wrong, the cause may be interference from an outside source, some one else switched on using the same frequency, battery failure, component break down....nahhhh, or even just a simple 'glitch'( switch off, switch on good, as new) Mostly the problems come from outside influence.

Futaba is one of the top R/C manufacturers in the world, but it still, sometimes, goes 't!ts up'

I would not like my home to be at the sharp end when/if it fails.

I understand this chap has tested his system extensively in all weather and has taken every step to ensure that it is, and will remain, reliable.

So does Futaba. :D

I race model yachts using Futaba Radio control which is superb gear. Occasionally, once or twice a season, it goes wrong, the cause may be interference from an outside source, some one else switched on using the same frequency, battery failure, component break down....nahhhh, or even just a simple 'glitch'( switch off, switch on good, as new) Mostly the problems come from outside influence.

Futaba is one of the top R/C manufacturers in the world, but it still, sometimes, goes 't!ts up'

I understand this chap has tested his system extensively in all weather and has taken every step to ensure that it is, and will remain, reliable.

So does Futaba. ;)

where's your sense of fun? :D

So does Futaba. :D

I race RC Cars and use a Sanwa radio with 2.4ghz spektrum module&receiver, eliminates interference and glitches. Best move I ever made and you can get modules for most of the more expensive radios. If anything should go wrong it also shuts itself down to a preset safe condition.

There is an inherent danger in going up a lock using a centre line for control, as Chris J W recently found out. Roof fitted eyes for centrelines are often very weak and if this breaks while you are slowing the boat down using a bollard you may well get it coming towards you very fast - you are likely to be in line with it. Non elastic rope will reduce the potential for injury.

So how do you single hand a boat if not with a centre rope?

I was recently aware of the amount of strain the eye was taking while the boat was coming up in a lock and wondered if it might snap one day. I might fit another one so that both are taking the strain or get something welded on.

Edited by blackrose

Never mind the "don't use the centre line", what about the "non elastic rope"?????

I thought light, inextensible string was something that featured in A level maths and was found nowhere else. Where does one purchase such stuff?

Mind you, with a bungee centre line you could take the boat into a lock and then s-t-r-e-t-c-h the rope to halfway down the pound. Then, when you opened the gates, your boat would twang into the next lock. Fantastic!

No offence intended btw, Mr Magnet.

Never mind the "don't use the centre line", what about the "non elastic rope"?????

I thought light, inextensible string was something that featured in A level maths and was found nowhere else. Where does one purchase such stuff?

Mind you, with a bungee centre line you could take the boat into a lock and then s-t-r-e-t-c-h the rope to halfway down the pound. Then, when you opened the gates, your boat would twang into the next lock. Fantastic!

No offence intended btw, Mr Magnet.

A kinetic recovery rope is always useful for getting a 7' boat through an undersized lock.

Nine of hearts, you are right. I should have said 'less elastic'. The elasticity of nylon rope is a bad characteristic in canal use, too much stored energy around waiting for an error to be made. Rope is available that is much less elastic and won't act as a catapult. Going up (GU) locks i get off with long shaft and pick up a rope from the top of the cratch then hitch it on the hold back pin.

my remote control unfortunately answers back and drinks beer.

although I have tried other remote controls out, but it tends to be me controlling the boat and then remote controlling the lock verbally (to novice friends or helpful passers by who would like to help)

solo locking really isnt that hard. its a great way to meet people as for some reason going solo and doing a lock makes you more approachable. well, it has in my case.

or maybe its my dog on the roof that helps.

you get a dog and train it?

I am sure that rules and regs somewhere states that it is inot permitted for a vessel when under power to be unmanned. If so, such remote control systems are either illegal or unnecessary.

I must check that out some time, (too tired just now)

rgds

rgds

solo locking really isnt that hard. its a great way to meet people as for some reason going solo and doing a lock makes you more approachable.

Yes, other boaters and onlookers often help with locks when you're solo (see other threads on the potential hazards of this).

I think I've only experienced a couple of occasions when parties of boaters coming up behind me have made their impatience & exasperation plain as they've stood staring, hands on hips, windlasses dangling, seemingly unaware that solo boaters have to control both their boat & the lock and by themselves, and apparently failing to appreciate that I wasn't able to work a lock as quickly as the four of them! :cheers:

Edited by blackrose

Yes, other boaters and onlookers often help with locks when you're solo (see other threads on the potential hazards of this).

I think I've only experienced a couple of occasions when parties of boaters coming up behind me have made their impatience & exasperation plain as they've stood staring, hands on hips, windlasses dangling, seemingly unaware that solo boaters have to control both their boat & the lock and by themselves, and apparently failing to appreciate that I wasn't able to work a lock as quickly as the four of them! :cheers:

I think after the first lock i would ask them if they would like you to get out of the lock as quickly as possible.

If they say Yes, they have just given you permission to blast off out of the lock and not close the gates or paddles :lol:

Simon.

This is another of those topics that comes up regularly every year or so, in my view it is not a good idea to promote it.. It is one thing for the odd 'Wesley' to come up with a system and get himself in the Waterways press but to attempt to market a system for anyone to fit to their boats borders on the foolhardy (there are a lot of people that can't drive their boat when they are standing on the back of it).

The thing is, that it is very easy to do and getting easier every year, you can buy all the bits you need over the counter. One thing is certain, the first time some idiot buys one and has a prang they will be quite rightly banned overnight.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...art=#entry57746