single handed boating lock mate remote control

colin1325

Featured Posts

I once saw someone tie the centre line (attached to the roof not gunnel level) to the last bollard below a deep gu lock then empty the lock. The boat tipped over so far i could see the underside of the counter. Not very professional looking.

Boats are meant to roll a bit, but if it went so far over it looked hazardous then it probably wasn't ballasted properly.

Edited by blackrose

OK leave Carl alone, we know he was on his way back from the pub!!!

He is not the first or the last to become a victim of someone elses stupidity.

Actually I was on the way back to Cropredy, after delivering a boat to Napton Narrowboats to have it's bent skeg straightened.

Or it was tied using the centre line which in the circumstances was wrong. I do know about ballast.

Perhaps using only a centre rope in those circumstances was wrong, but that doesn't detract from how invaluable a centre rope is for single handers in many situations. To be honest I've done exactly the same thing at locks & never had a problem, but often I put out a bow rope too.

Edited by blackrose

• 1 year later...
Wouldn't it be best to learn how to single hand a boat through a lock? Not sure if there are any courses on it. Whilst like some people I have a gadget-fetish and would think a remote controlled boat awesome, seeing someone expertly take a boat through single hand using ropes would be just as good a sight. (IMO :lol:)

I though this was a brilliant idear, being not so good on my pins now, it would just save all the up and downing on the locks, I am desperate to know where I can get it from.

mary 1

I regularly use the centre line in locks when working single handed, but it is a matter of experience and judgement as to how slack it should be to prevent the boat being pulled over, Coupled with that is diligent observation to ensure that any mis-judgememt of line length is dealt with promptly before it becomes a threat to the safety of the boat.

There have been several instances where others at the lock have expressed alarm that the line would be to tight, only to admit later that my judgement was pretty accurate. Neverthe less I am always grateful for the concern of others, better safe than sorry.

I might fit another one so that both are taking the strain or get something welded on.

Mike, if "Black Rose" was mine, I would use a centre rope on each side, with an eye welded as close to the cabin sides as possible, as the roof is less likely to deform there because of the profile (roof/cabin side) . It might look less nice then a single rope in the middle of the roof, but will be much stronger.

Cheers, Peter.

hi all any one here know if the remote tiller and throttle system is available in the market place yet ? i will soon be a single handed canal person so to speak and may need some help.

judging by the few comments i have read here it seems that all is not rosy red on the canal today . I imagined that fellow boaters would be well a little more considerate than the picture beginning to form in my mind already. perhaps road rage is coming to the canals . any help on finding the remote system would be appreciated colin

Isn't fly by wire (for want of a better desciption) somewhat missing the point? I though the whole idea of inland boating was to get back to a simpler and slower pace of life?

I reckon with experience a conventionally handled boat would be just as quick as using some fangled remote system.

To much to go wrong in my opinion.

For a single-hander, or those with disabilities, a remote control could be a god-send. I've seen it in action (albeit briefly, mind you) and saw a demonstration of what happens in the worse case of it loosing power - it all defaults to Neutral with the tiller ahead. Fairly impressive bit of kit.

Edit to add - it's all 'positive action', too. Unless you press the remote switch to do something it defaults, again, to Neutral and tiller ahead.

Edited by Chris J W

Mike, if "Black Rose" was mine, I would use a centre rope on each side, with an eye welded as close to the cabin sides as possible, as the roof is less likely to deform there because of the profile (roof/cabin side) . It might look less nice then a single rope in the middle of the roof, but will be much stronger.

Cheers, Peter.

Thanks I will certainly consider that option.

Mike