Rochdale Summit

by'eck

Featured Posts

Presently in Todmorden and intending to pass over Rochdale Summit on maybe Saturday morning before descending into Manchester. My probably outdated Nicholson guide suggests that passage over summit needs to be booked 24 hours in advance and is limited to four boats a day. Is this still the case and if so is it just a matter of phoning C&RT on 03030 404040?

Can I also presume overnight mooring is not allowed on the summit?

We went over in 2013, and the requirement to book, and any limit on number of boats had already been dropped by then.

It was still signed that you should not moor on it though.

Despite what the books or online guides said, the only booking we needed to make anywhere was for a passage through the Tuel Lane lock on a day it is not normally manned.

No booking is required now for the summit or Manchester.

Not sure about mooring though, there are some rings at the west side of summit. Dean will know but I think you can moor after the summit lock. The best moorings are opposite the sanitary station at Littleborough.

No restrictions on passage or moorings on the summit - there were several boats moored at west summit this spring. Best moorings are just below west summit lock, but do not moor in the pound below east summit lock, despite what it says - the pound tends to drain overnight.

No water at west summit, despite what Nicholson's says.

The Bird in Hand pub at east summit is closed.

The Summit pub at west summit isn't very good, but a good bus service down to Littleborough.

Edited to say, as you're headed that way, the Cross Keys canalside at Walsden is closed, and the other two pubs are rubbish. It's a bit of a desert up there! The Garden Centre is one of the best in the country, and sells fresh vegetables and other supplies. The café across the road is good, too.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

http://nb-triskaideka.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/it-all-went-downhill-quite-literally.html

The above is our experience coming down into Manchester. Beautiful as far as Littleborough, then in all honesty, awful.

A rather pessimistic view IMO.

Having travelled the Rochdale 3 times in the past 4 years I have to say it's getting better each year. The trip from Rose of Lancaster to Castlefield is a long day but never in my experience threatening. Going east from Irk Aqueduct the canal runs through some quite pleasant countryside. Admittedly Rochdale is the pits - dirty rather than perilous, (I once wrote to the Mayor and told him so) but the highlight is meeting the "gentleman's" morning drinking club at Lock 50, Moss Lower. These guys are usually there, happy, friendly and p*ssed, but always willing to lend a hand and chat. From Smithy Bridge to the east end it's all very pleasant. The summit is just spectacular, although I wouldn't want to encourage any southern softies to venture across.

Edited by Midnight

Just spend some time up there......wonderful ! Don't rush to get to Manchester. I would suggest the following...

Fill up with water at Walden.

Moor at Walden and enjoy the lovely scenery.

Fill up again, and leave Walden...head for the Summit. Moor up on the Summit for as long as you can, and enjoy the scenery...go for long walks up into the hills...it's lovely....

When you leave the summit......it's a days locking down to Littleborough...another water point...lovely pubs, restaurants....have breakfast at The Square.....fill up with water and leave Littleborough......and stop at SmithyBridge....and walk up to the lake...it's huge...great for spending time relaxing, eating fish and chips, icecreams etc.

Then.....you're ready to begin your travels down to Manchester....a days cruising to get through Rochdale...(filthy canal area)...and reach the Rose of Lancaster pub...great food....lots of cows, sheep etc in that area...a park.....

All of these stops are on the rail route..so you can also leave your boat and travel into Manchester for the odd day if you need.

No water points between Littleborough and Manchester New Islington marina.

You'd want to make it a one day cruise from the Rose..to New Islington.

At New Islington....things have improved a lot....but don't leave your boat with bikes on display....

From New Islington, it's a days locking down to Castlefield, onto the Bridgewater......which is a lovely canal...except enforcement has gotten a little militant recently.

enjoy :)

You'd want to make it a one day cruise from the Rose..to New Islington.

I would suggest all the way to Castlefield if you're fit and able. Especially after you highlighted the problems at New Islington Marina recently.

It's a long day but the three times I did it we arrived at about 5pm. Starting from the Rose it's a good hour to Failsworth top lock then about 5 hours down to Ducie Street arriving about 1pm, then it's another 3 hours down the 'nine'. That's a 9 hour day plus an hour's stop in Ducie street. Going west to east may take longer (uphill) but I only did it once when BW met you at Ducie Street at 8am.

I heard about the Thomas Telford quay but was not sure how to gain access other than reading Johnmck's blog. Dean do you know if there's a formal way to get the code?

Nice to hear you say nice things about Littleborough Dean. We're off back to live there imminently.

I was last there a month ago and did a little volunteering helping to tidy up the area around Durn lock.

There is a group called the Littleborough Canal Adoption Group who are making big efforts to improve the area.

Most of those who worked alongside me were non-boaters. just locals proud of their town. Great to see.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/sites/littleborough-adopt-a-canal-group

C&RT have been working on Durn Lock too recently putting in an A Frame

We did it this year from Manchester (Telford basin) to Rose of Lancaster, it was a fantastic day , hard work but everything worked fine, no serious problems and no locals that weren't friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Telford basin makes a fine mooring, We did come out backwards as I am not sure you could do the left turn from the basin towards Manchester in much over 40ft.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Manchester/@53.4792929,-2.2256287,88m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487a4d4c5226f5db:0xd9be143804fe6baa!6m1!1e1

looking at Google map it doesn't look quite as tight as it looks when you are actually there.

Please type of water up there at the moment. Was up there yesterday working on my boat, the red one next to swing bridge, pound below summit east. Seen several moored overnight on the summit, but Chelburn wharf, below summit East, is nice. There's aa basic shop on the estate where I live, 10 mins walk from summit, walk down main Rd, fork right up Temple lane, left then right at end, onto drake Rd. Takeaway about to open too. Lovely shops and food in Littleborough.

Thanks for updates. Managed the summit today from Walsden in record time, ironically because a pound was drained near the top. A passer-by had phoned C&RT and their man was on site before I arrrived. He sorted problem and helped me through the top three with virtually no delay. Suggested I continue to Durn lock though, so 18 locks after start arrived knackered but elated this evening. No issues with running aground so far, in fact after the rain there has been too much water, often pouring over lock gates and making them difficult to open. Can't believe its so quiet though - no moving boats seen at all in last two days since Todmorden.

Was hoping to stop tomorrow night somewhere near Slattocks allowing for fouled prop etc. on passage through Rochdale - top or bottom of flight dependant on time.

ETA: Stupidly didn't get pumped out at Sowerby Bridge. Guessing next place will be Castlefields or failing that the marina near Waters Meet, as will be continuing south on the Bridgewater - any other suggestions nearer?

Edited by by'eck

Please type of water up there at the moment. Was up there yesterday working on my boat, the red one next to swing bridge, pound below summit east. Seen several moored overnight on the summit, but Chelburn wharf, below summit East, is nice. There's aa basic shop on the estate where I live, 10 mins walk from summit, walk down main Rd, fork right up Temple lane, left then right at end, onto drake Rd. Takeaway about to open too. Lovely shops and food in Littleborough.

Worth mentioning the water point adjacent to West Summit lock is marked as out of action.

Can't believe its so quiet though - no moving boats seen at all in last two days since Todmorden.

ETA: Stupidly didn't get pumped out at Sowerby Bridge. Guessing next place will be Castlefields or failing that the marina near Waters Meet, as will be continuing south on the Bridgewater - any other suggestions nearer?

At least half of the boats moving on the Rochdale are from Shire Cruisers - indeed I firmly believe that if it weren't for them the canal would be rarely open. Going across in April I met 2 moving boats in a fortnight.

Isn't there a pumpout at New Islington? Dean would know, and if he doesn't see this it would be worth calling in and asking - there seems to be always someone around.

Thanks for updates. Managed the summit today from Walsden in record time, ironically because a pound was drained near the top. A passer-by had phoned C&RT and their man was on site before I arrrived. He sorted problem and helped me through the top three with virtually no delay. Suggested I continue to Durn lock though, so 18 locks after start arrived knackered but elated this evening. No issues with running aground so far, in fact after the rain there has been too much water, often pouring over lock gates and making them difficult to open. Can't believe its so quiet though - no moving boats seen at all in last two days since Todmorden.

Was hoping to stop tomorrow night somewhere near Slattocks allowing for fouled prop etc. on passage through Rochdale - top or bottom of flight dependant on time.

pump out at New Islington.