Music & Food

Julesie

Featured Posts

Hello smile.png

My husband and I are considering the options of living on the water when our daughter leaves for Uni... in around 5 years time. This gives us plenty of thinking space to plan. I have just joined this forum today and wanted to ask a few questions.

My husband is a Grade 7 pianist and would love to get his Grade 8 in the next few years. He would love to be able to play the piano we have at home on a boat.... it has an iron frame and is obviously heavy. Is this an option? He really wouldn't like a keyboard, it's not the same. What would the neighbours say about the noise? He does play my favourite Chopin but also loves Jazz & Blues.

Gardening.... I love it and I grow fruit and veg at home, only on a tiny scale though. Is this possible on a boat? I suppose I could have some pots on board with toms, leaves, herbs and flowers... Do any of you grow food on board?

Internet access....my husband and I need to gain access to our computers due to studies and our work.... how would this work?

Thank you smile.png

Edited by Julesie

Welcome to the forum.

I think the biggest problem with a piano would be actually getting it into the boat .... I'd imagine most doors are too small to get one through - but someone will probably be along shortly to say they have done it. The other problem might be that the weight woudl tip the boat so you'd need to adjust the ballast.

Loads of people use mobile internet so that shouldn't be a problem

I woudln't know about growing food - but I seem to recall a thread on here a while ago about the possibilities

You couldn't get a piano through any of the doors on my boat, The roof would have to be cut away allowing the piano to be craned in, followed by re-fitting the roof and a serious re-arrangement of the balast.

One of the more up-market electric stage pianos may be a better option.

Edited by Kwacker

Yes, he did think about the more upmarket electric pianos, so that it an option. We did think about the ballast too on this upright iron framed mahogany beauty we have at home...

And regarding the mobile internet... thanks :)

Edited by Julesie

Welcome to the forum!

As I don't live aboard and am only on the canals when on leave, so the internet connection is less of an issue for me so I wont comment on that, only to say that there are a large number of live-aboard's and Continuous Cruisers who are regular posters on this forum so guess it is an easy hurdle to overcome.

With regards to the Piano I would also suggest having a think about the damage that damp can do to an upright piano. If you are thinking about a baby grand I would love to see one installed however unless you are thinking about getting a Widebeam rather than a Narrowbeam I think your options will be limited!

happy asking away there is a wealth of experience on this forum about all things "boaty" and a lot of things which are not!

Hi Julesie welcome to the forum.

Having owned a removal company for 17 yrs we have delivered pianos all over the country into some very odd places too.

You might be better looking at a piano like a 'Kemble Minx' search google pics.

They are much smaller than a standard upright but still have a good tone ( or so I'm told)

The piano is still heavy just smaller but the keyboard still has the same range as a standard upright.

As for noise, if the neighbours don't like it you can always tootle off, moor up, then return when hubby has finished ( try doing that in a house lol)

Although personally I would love the gentle piano sounds drifting over the water on a warm summers evening.

Good luck living the dream, you won't look back!

You will very likely have issues with getting the piano into the boat, you may have to look at having a hull designed for you with exceptional access, or having a hole cut in the roof to crane the piano in.

You may well have humidity problems, Piano's like a steady humidity a boat is a small room, in the winter humidity could be high with you all sitting with the doors closed, in the summer with a breeze and the doors open maybe the change in humidity will not be helpful.

The weight distribution is no problem if you know the boat from the start you can plan where the ballast will be needed, if you take on a second user boat the you should find something to move to keep the trim level

Good point about the humidity, I nearly ruined a great little guitar by leaving it tuned and uncovered on the boat for a couple of months.

It took not a little tlc to bring it back to playability.

I don't think the wild temperature variations on the boat (compared to my old house) helped either.

Hi and welcome aboard, if gardening is your thing why not seek out a marina with garden moorings such as we have. Our garden is 70ft X 50ft which means we can indulge in our hobby as well as boating. Our previous gardens were 1/3 acre and 1/2 acre so this tiny in comparison but easy to stay on top of while still being free to cruise as we know there won't be too much work to square it up when we get back.

Phil

Hi and welcome aboard, if gardening is your thing why not seek out a marina with garden moorings such as we have. Our garden is 70ft X 50ft which means we can indulge in our hobby as well as boating. Our previous gardens were 1/3 acre and 1/2 acre so this tiny in comparison but easy to stay on top of while still being free to cruise as we know there won't be too much work to square it up when we get back.

Phil

I have to say that one of the great advantages of living on a boat is that I don't have to worry about gardening at all .... there was nothing more annoying in my previous life than spending several hours cutting the grass, clearing up the cuttings, trimming the edges etc in the full knowledge that it a week or two it would all need to be done again... Nope if I ever have to return to dry land it will be to a flat or because I have won so much in the lottery that I can afford to employ a gardener estate manager to take care of that.