Bakelite switches

Clodi

Featured Posts

I want to use some old 230v Bakelite switches for 12v light circuit. Quick question, do I need to do anything to widen the contact gap?, is there a minimum 'open' gap to stop any arching?

I know I've read about problems using mains switches for 12 volts but can't find it now I'm looking

7 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I want to use some old 230v Bakelite switches for 12v light circuit. Quick question, do I need to do anything to widen the contact gap?, is there a minimum 'open' gap to stop any arching?

I know I've read about problems using mains switches for 12 volts but can't find it now I'm looking

They could be DC switches anyway if they're very old. Check if they have knife action contacts.  I use one for a 12v lamp and one for my water pump, no problem.

18 minutes ago, Clodi said:

No problem with a low-current lighting circuit. 

Thanks, I'm using LED as well so I'm worrying about nothing as usual.

I've use mains switches in the past with no problems, there again I wasn't filling my head with loads of unnecessary information from the internet  ?

28 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Used throughout Zulu - 12v only and no issues - bit pricey even on eBay but IMHO well worth it if it suits your boat.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I use these all round the boat on 12v. Low current loads only . ( headlight one runs a relay rather than direct)

buying them second hand make sure the blades are not eroded and they have a good snap action.

there are loads available in france and australia in good order.

The only issue we had with these was due to the contacts being slightly rough, easily solved with a light abrasive.