Fibre Glass widebeam

Featured Posts

I met someone moving a fibeglass widebeam sailaway on Regents Canal in the summer which had been built by the company he worked for. I became very interested in purchasing this type of boat to live on. The gentleman gave me his card which I lost and I am unable to find any Fibreglass manufacturers. Has anyone got a steer.

Thanks  

6 minutes ago, johnlondres said:

I met someone moving a fibeglass widebeam sailaway on Regents Canal in the summer which had been built by the company he worked for. I became very interested in purchasing this type of boat to live on. The gentleman gave me his card which I lost and I am unable to find any Fibreglass manufacturers. Has anyone got a steer.

Thanks  

Virtually all GRP boats are 'widebeams' varying between 9 foot and 23 foot so look at ANY GRP boat manufacturer.

My GRP Cruiser is 14 foot beam.

It is Narrowboats which are the 'odd one out' - no one in their right senses would build a boat 7 feet wide.

• Happy 2

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Virtually all GRP boats are 'widebeams' varying between 9 foot and 23 foot so look at ANY GRP boat manufacturer.

My GRP Cruiser is 14 foot beam.

It is Narrowboats which are the 'odd one out' - no one in their right senses would build a boat 7 feet wide.

Precisely.

23 minutes ago, johnlondres said:

Thanks  

I have a 32 x 12 broads cruiser the difference under water to my widebeam is the broads cruiser is a proper boaty shaped boat!! It uses less power to move it handles better and when my widebeam has rotted and sunk I suspect that broads cruiser will still be floating!!

2 hours ago, johnlondres said:

Indeed ...Alan's 14 ft wide boat sounds great didn't know they came that wide.

GRP Cruiser :

Saloon

Dining Room

Galley

Master Cabin (Queen size, walk around bed, en-suite shower, separate en-suite toilet and wash basin, His & hers dressing tables , His & Hers wardrobes)

There is nothing like being on a 'fat' boat rather than a 'sewer-tube'

Never mind the length feel the width !!!

Versatility-35-15.jpg

Versatility-35-21.jpg

Versatility-35-24.jpg

Versatility-35-28.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Thing is, those are what I call proper boats, which is different from a "narrowboat", I know one can split hairs, but I'd rather live on a nice proper boat than a "widebeam". The steel narrowboat is specifically designed to survive the rough and tumble of cruising on canals. I'd never buy a widebeam. I think.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Thing is, those are what I call proper boats, which is different from a "narrowboat", I know one can split hairs, but I'd rather live on a nice proper boat than a "widebeam". The steel narrowboat is specifically designed to survive the rough and tumble of cruising on canals. I'd never buy a widebeam. I think.

The 'London canals' are not what the majority of us would know as canals.

I cannot take my Cruiser (14 foot beam) on the 'real canals' - it just won't fit, so I am 'limited' to River and Sea cruising.

It would be ideal for the deep, wide waters of the London canals and Rivers.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 'London canals' are not what the majority of us would know as canals.

I cannot take my Cruiser (14 foot beam) on the 'real canals' - it just won't fit, so I am 'limited' to River and Sea cruising.

It would be ideal for the deep, wide waters of the London canals and Rivers.

Yep, but I suspect you don't get involved in tough and tumble of  London cc either, fighting over a water point on a Saturday morning. I mean those are nice shiny boats, and not anything like "a 1980's Springer in need of overplating"

Edited by LadyG

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My other boat is 23 foot beam

That is FAT

Saloon - then downstairs (each side) to the 3x Bedrooms and 2x Toilets / Showers.

51948869gallery_wm.jpg

51948870gallery_wm.jpg

51948871gallery_wm.jpg

Are you certain that top picture isn't the bridge of the starship Enterpirse........looks like it could be to me!

Pull back them curtains, I reckon you'll see klingons on the starboard bow.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is one member of this forum who has actually 'touched it' but he didn't come on board as her rubbery suit was all slippery, wet and oily.

(and SWMBO was still in bed !!!!!)

Image result for miss whiplash

Is that SWMBO, or the girl who does your moorings ropes for you?

• Greenie 1