Beeston canal unlicensed boats

redfastlad

Featured Posts

Well i sent in an e-mail to BW complaining about the unlicensed boats on the Nottingham stretch of the beeston canal, and BW replied stating that several boats had been served with notice (section 8) one or two were in court and proceedings were being taken against a number of boats , some were over staying on the Sainsbury stretch and were being moved on, but the law is slow and action is now being taken i was informed.The problem this year has been because of the floods Nottingham has been a safe haven and many boats stayed there but some were deprived of moorings because of all the scrap littering the canal.So lets see if the junk gets moved off i for one very much doubt it ,but i will continue to harrass BW to take action.

Chris

No, I won't be reporting anyone using red deisel, nor have I ever reported an unlicensed boat. Niether will I castigate anyone who does. I would like to see a few more of the visitor moorings opened up again from their current status as "blind eye" residential moorings tho', but I'm not reporting those either.

Not interested how other people live their lives.

Unless they report unlicenced boats? Seeing it as "not my problem" has two sides, if you don't bother about licence evasion, fine, but why moan about those who do? That's not your problem either.

No, I won't be reporting anyone using red deisel, nor have I ever reported an unlicensed boat. Niether will I castigate anyone who does. I would like to see a few more of the visitor moorings opened up again from their current status as "blind eye" residential moorings tho', but I'm not reporting those either.

Unless they report unlicenced boats? Seeing it as "not my problem" has two sides, if you don't bother about licence evasion, fine, but why moan about those who do? That's not your problem either.

They're the ones interfering in other peoples' lives. I don't care what they do in their own world. It's when they start busibodying in other folks' worlds it becomes an issue.

When they wallow in their self satisfaction here, then they invite comment, not all back slapping congratulations either.

Well i sent in an e-mail to BW complaining about the unlicensed boats on the Nottingham stretch of the beeston canal, and BW replied stating that several boats had been served with notice (section 8) one or two were in court and proceedings were being taken against a number of boats , some were over staying on the Sainsbury stretch and were being moved on, but the law is slow and action is now being taken i was informed.The problem this year has been because of the floods Nottingham has been a safe haven and many boats stayed there but some were deprived of moorings because of all the scrap littering the canal.So lets see if the junk gets moved off i for one very much doubt it ,but i will continue to harrass BW to take action.

Chris

What in plain English is a section 8 order? Is this the first step BW take as in give you the chance to pay before ...........

And this week's interfering net twitcher's award goes to....

So, you think it is perfectly OK for boaters not to pay to licence or moor their boat even if this means that those who do pay have to pay more? If a boat is unlicensed, it is most unlikely it will have a BSS certificate. OK, I know there are problems with the BSS but at least if the boat has a BSS certif. you know that at one time in the last 4 years the gas system on board was safe. If you are not bothered about folk using the canals without paying their way, I assume you don't mind mooring next to them and risking a gas explosion?

Just interested to know why you think it is OK not to pay your way on the canals.

I made the point to BW, that while there are boats out there paying nothing to BW for license or moorings , they should wind their necks in over the issue about closing mine.

Since then every correspondence I've had with BW has included refferences to their "tough stance" against dodgers. They still dont seem to grasp that what I was getting at; is that they are inept.

The problem with unlicensed boats is theirs, not mine and they (not me or other boaters)should address it.

Edited by Neil.A

So, you think it is perfectly OK for boaters not to pay to licence or moor their boat even if this means that those who do pay have to pay more? If a boat is unlicensed, it is most unlikely it will have a BSS certificate. OK, I know there are problems with the BSS but at least if the boat has a BSS certif. you know that at one time in the last 4 years the gas system on board was safe. If you are not bothered about folk using the canals without paying their way, I assume you don't mind mooring next to them and risking a gas explosion?

Just interested to know why you think it is OK not to pay your way on the canals.

I didn't say that. Read my posts before making assumptions about my opinions.

I didn't say that. Read my posts before making assumptions about my opinions.

I agree that you didn't actually say that you approved of unlicensed boats BUT you did say "And this week's interfering net twitcher's award goes to.... " and "It's when they start busibodying in other folks' worlds it becomes an issue." Both statements to my mind say that you don't think much of folk who report unlicensed boats. I think I may therefore be forgiven for assuming that you see nothing wrong with folk who don’t bother to pay their way on the canals.

Edited by haggis

It's when they start busibodying in other folks' worlds it becomes an issue.

I agree that you didn't actually say that you approved of unlicensed boats BUT you did say "And this week's interfering net twitcher's award goes to.... " and "It's when they start busibodying in other folks' worlds it becomes an issue." Both statements to my mind say that you don't think much of folk who report unlicensed boats. I think I may therefore be forgiven for assuming that you see nothing wrong with folk who don’t bother to pay their way on the canals.

Well you let me know what my opinions are and I'll just go along with you.

I have never condoned any illegal activity but as far as I'm concerned my status is a private matter between myself and the relevant authority, and, if I expect my privacy to be respected, then I must respect anyone elses.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my opinions about laws, just or unjust.

I have made no comment about tax evasion, of any kind, just some people's obsession with other peoples' affairs.

as far as I'm concerned my status is a private matter between myself and the relevant authority, and, if I expect my privacy to be respected, then I must respect anyone elses.

Completely agree. And there's no way we can judge other people's circumstances without knowing anything about them anyway. That boat without the license might have sent away for one, might have one but not want to display it, etc.

Meg

I have never condoned any illegal activity but as far as I'm concerned my status is a private matter between myself and the relevant authority, and, if I expect my privacy to be respected, then I must respect anyone elses.

I have made no comment about tax evasion, of any kind, just some people's obsession with other peoples' affairs.

I agree up to a point with your "live and let live" attitude to life but when so many people seem to think it is OK to use the canals without paying for a licence and mooring I would be very tempted to do something about it. Especially as the numbers of licence evaders means that I have to pay more. To my mind these folk are thieves, stealing from you and me (or should that be you and I?).

Yawn.

Fine, you're an upstanding citizen, you're doing your bit towards saving the children, and stopping terrorists. Where would you like the medal posting?

Just one question. Where did this country get its ''boo hoo, someones getting away with something I'm not'' attitude from?

My feet are firmly in Carl's camp on this one. the licence status of my boat is between me, and BW, if I catch some one start peering through my windows who is not a BW employee I will report a peeping tom / potential burgler to the police and let you argue it with them.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Just one question. Where did this country get its ''boo hoo, someones getting away with something I'm not'' attitude from?

Nothing new, I'm afraid. As long as there are rules and people who ignore those rules, there will be curtain-twitchers who can't help but poke their noses in.

I remember a decade ago when I was living on my nb there were about a dozen liveaboards who congregated on rather unpleasant visitor moorings in my town. It's a horrible place in a neglected area by the dual-carriageway, complete with smackheads, muggers and other assorted grimness but they made it a nice little community and the numbers of boats meant it was safer there. The boats were licenced but didn't pay for moorings and the local busibodies at a certain boat club a couple of miles upstream hated it (although none of them would ever have dreamed of mooring there themselves). So they hassled BW until they changed the site to paying moorings and forced all the boats to leave. Now it's a miserable, dispiriting place with a couple of heavily locked-up and battened-down boats. Nobody wants to stop there, let alone moor there longterm, but I imagine the self-important pillocks up the cut were satisfied that the ditch gypsies had been seen off.

And this week's interfering net twitcher's award goes to....

I don't like snitchers and tell-tales either.

I think Red is barking up the wrong tree, he should not be complaining to BW he should be complaining about BW. It is their job to chase license dodgers not his. I have just spent the best part of two hours reading the report that Richard H has posted, all about how those superior beings are being starved of funding.

We in this country have no history of organising the population to spy on one another, more like the good old days of uncle Joe Stalin.

Edited by John Orentas

I agree with Carl and Fuzzy, but there is a point beyond which a natural concern for one's fellow citizen turns into an unacceptable level of intrusion. I'd say, report a crime, but not licence evasion.

Curtain twitchers can be useful: I know that when we go away boating the next-door neighbour will be keeping an eye out... over-zealous, maybe but if I'm not there, I've no problem with it.

Ian

+1

I just could not pick up the phone and go:

" I am just calling to let you know ..."

I don't like snitchers and tell-tales either.

and I am neither. I don't think I have ever clyped on anyone in my adult life but that doesn't mean to say I think it is OK for folk to freeload on the canal.

Completely agree. And there's no way we can judge other people's circumstances without knowing anything about them anyway. That boat without the license might have sent away for one, might have one but not want to display it, etc.Meg
It is an offence to fail to display the licence
Yawn.Fine, you're an upstanding citizen, you're doing your bit towards saving the children, and stopping terrorists. Where would you like the medal posting?Just one question. Where did this country get its ''boo hoo, someones getting away with something I'm not'' attitude from?My feet are firmly in Carl's camp on this one. the licence status of my boat is between me, and BW, if I catch some one start peering through my windows who is not a BW employee I will report a peeping tom / potential burgler to the police and let you argue it with them.
OK, I have a solution that should satisfy those who wish to report licence evaders, and those who believe that their licencing status is between them and BW....* In addition to paid employees, BW already have voluntary workers (assistant lock keepers for example)* The same idea could be extended to licence checking, and BW could invite people to become "volunteer licence inspectors".* Volunteer Licence Inspectors would attend a half day briefing and be given an appointment card.* The same people that you condemn now could continue to look out for licence dodgers, but as they were now appointed by BW, you wouldn't mind

I have a solution that should satisfy those who wish to report licence evaders, and those who believe that their licencing status is between them and BW....* In addition to paid employees, BW already have voluntary workers (assistant lock keepers for example)* The same idea could be extended to licence checking, and BW could invite people to become "volunteer licence inspectors".* Volunteer Licence Inspectors would attend a half day briefing and be given an appointment card.* The same people that you condemn now could continue to look out for licence dodgers, but as they were now appointed by BW, you wouldn't mind

And who should we get to run the course?

cole_norris1.jpg