How to value a boat...?

jetzi

How to value a boat?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's the base value of a 70 foot 1978 trad narrowboat in average condition?

• > 40K
    • 35-40K
    • 30-35K
    • 25-30K
    • 20-25K
    • < 20K

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

This confirms my revious post.. Complete rubbish. Liverpool boats are good boats on the whole.

But going by your previous post, both can be ignored as can all boat buying threads on this forum as not being a good idea. 

4 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

This confirms my revious post.. Complete rubbish. Liverpool boats are good boats on the whole.

Well having earned a living for a while involved in the pre-delivery inspections on them I've probably been on board a good few more of them than you have. And I seen the massive lists of post delivery complaints every single customer came back with that even we missed. So many that New Boat Company stopped selling them they were so shyte. 

What make of boat from the 90's and 2000s would you say occupied a market position beneath Liverpool then? Because I can't think of any!

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well having earned a living for a while involved in the pre-delivery inspections on them I've probably been on board a good few more of them than you have. And I seen the massive lists of post delivery complaints every single customer came back with that even we missed. So many that New Boat Company stopped selling them they were so shyte. 

What make of boat from the 90's and 2000s would you say occupied a market position beneath Liverpool then? Because I can't think of any!

I knew Stan very well, was at the workshop fairly often, went to the Yacht club there a few times with him. He built good boats compared to lets say, well I won't say, he's still building and considered high end..

He could talk you into a corner regards narrowboats in particular, knew his stuff.

A boat is worth what your willing to pay for it, that is just fact. Buy with your gut, but do the checks first.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Some truths need to be told. I fitted out some L/P hulls. How can it be right for a cabin to be 1&1/2" longer on one side?

How can it be good to have a rear bulkhead that you can see light through where it should be welded?

How would you explain an unblacked fresh water tank that someone in the works had crapped into to an owner?

Why should a new shell take in water as soon as launched through a cut in the side behind a knee?

9 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

I knew Stan very well, was at the workshop fairly often, went to the Yacht club there a few times with him. He built good boats compared to lets say, well I won't say, he's still building and considered high end..

He could talk you into a corner regards narrowboats in particular, knew his stuff.

A boat is worth what your willing to pay for it, that is just fact. Buy with your gut, but do the checks first.

Presumably Stan owned Liverpool boats, told a good narrowboat tale, built better boats than another unnamed boat builder, and now builds quality boats?

Doesnt really answer the question... or does it?

Your last sentence makes some sense, but doesn’t really help the OP.... or does it? :)

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Some truths need to be told. I fitted out some L/P hulls. How can it be right for a cabin to be 1&1/2" longer on one side?

How can it be good to have a rear bulkhead that you can see light through where it should be welded?

How would you explain an unblacked fresh water tank that someone in the works had crapped into to an owner?

Why should a new shell take in water as soon as launched through a cut in the side behind a knee?

I'm sure 70liveaboard has all the answers. 

Fair enough Stan was a great bloke but he sent out shyte boats in my personal experience. I'd add to your list gas pipe joints with no olives, commonplace. I never tested a single Liverpool boat gas system and found it held gas.  EVERY SINGLE ONE needed extensive remedial work. Dozens of them. 

It seemed as though because they knew the boat wouldn't be going back to Liverpool once it disappeared around the corner on the lorry, they didn't give a toss about the end customers. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm sure 70liveaboard has all the answers. 

Fair enough Stan was a great bloke but he sent out shyte boats in my personal experience. I'd add to your list gas pipe joints with no olives, commonplace. I never tested a single Liverpool boat gas system and found it held gas.  EVERY SINGLE ONE needed extensive remedial work. Dozens of them. 

It seemed as though because they knew the boat wouldn't be going back to Liverpool once it disappeared around the corner on the lorry, they didn't give a toss about the end customers. 

I can say that about so many builders, all those faults. Every builder will have their faults.

Your right though its your opinion, your welcome to it.

I'll not mention names of builders that I consider pretty bad. But when someone is just wrong, I'll point it out.

You name and shame, if you want. But it will be your list, no one elses. Just your opinion at the end of the day. Many owners would call you out on that, I'm sure.

1 minute ago, 70liveaboard said:

I can say that about so many builders, all those faults. Every builder will have their faults.

Not in my experience. The Aqualine boats bought in from Poland arrived immaculate in every way. Total contrast to Liverpool boats.

You clearly have bugger all experience of Liverpool boats up close and new. I'm not naming and shaming, just correcting the statement earlier that Liverpool were mid-range builders, then backing up my opinion with personal experience and facts. You on the other hand have no experience of them other than knowing the bloke that ran the company. 

And yes a lot of current owners will be happy, mainly because of all the sterling work done by NBC fixing them up between factory and handing over to the customer. 

Once a boat is a few years old the faults tend to get ironed out by successive owners, but as they say you can roll a turd in glitter but underneath it is still a...

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You clearly have bugger all experience of Liverpool boats up close and new. I'm not naming and shaming, just correcting the statement earlier that Liverpool were mid-range builders, then backing up my opinion with personal experience and facts. You on the other hand have no experience of them other than knowing the bloke that ran the company. 

Again, just your ill advised opinion.

You just keep confirming my first post here.

OP buy as you see it, get a survey.

Edited by 70liveaboard

Again, just your ill advised opinion.

Born of extensive experience of them so no-one 'advised me' and it is not 'opinion'. Just laying out the facts witnessed by me first hand, for the benefit of the OP.

You not liking the facts does not make them wrong.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Born of extensive experience of them so no-one 'advised me' and it is not 'opinion'. Just laying out the facts witnessed by me first hand, for the benefit of the OP.

You not liking the facts does not make them wrong.

These are facts according to you.. But of course your not wrong.. Again confirming my first post.

2 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Well, having been member of this forum for quite a while now, I kn ow who’s advice I will be seeking when I buy my boat.....

Hopefully you would use a surveyor.. Certainly not buy based on anyone saying this is good or that is bad, from this forum.. That would be a bad idea.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Mtb -  2

70 liveaboard - 0

Ice-cream  anyone? ?

Slap on the back means nothing.. Part of the same stream of people.

These are facts according to you.. But of course your not wrong.. Again confirming my first post.

Well its up to the OP to decide who he believes.

You, best mate of the bloke that ran the firm that went bust. Or me working at the coal face, carrying out the pre-delivery remedial work and smoothing down all the disappointed customers. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well its up to the OP to decide who he believes.

You, best mate of the bloke that ran the firm that went bust. Or me working at the coal face, carrying out the pre-delivery remedial work and smoothing down all the disappointed customers. 

I bought over 30 shells from Liverpool back in the day. In-fact I bought lots of boat shells from other builders over there. Plus right across the UK.

Hopefully you would use a surveyor.. Certainly not buy based on anyone saying this is good or that is bad, from this forum.. That would be a bad idea.

Slap on the back means nothing.. Part of the same stream of people.

Yep, no one on this forum knows anything about boats. Better the OP asks on the knitting forum instead :)

2 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

I will engage a surveyor once I am almost decided to buy a certain boat.

Up to that point I will visit boats tha appeal to me and ask questions of those people on this forum (and the Thunderboat forum) who’s opinions and advice has been wise, measured an consistent over the time I have known them.

I bought over 30 shells from Liverpool back in the day. In-fact I bought lots of boat shells from other builders over there. Plus right across the UK.

So, tell us they were all flawless then instead of implying mtbs observations are rubbish. 

Of course you did....

NURSE, quick, over here...! this one claims he's bought 30 narrowboats from Liverpool. Clearly bonkers!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

So, tell us they were all flawless then instead of implying mtbs observations are rubbish. 

As I said, every builder has faults, just the industry. I won't call out any builder by name, because I'll probably know them, or have dealt with their shells.

Edited by 70liveaboard

As I said, every builder has faults, just the industry. I won't call out any builder by name, because I'll probably know them, or have dealt with thier shells.

So tell us some of the faults in the 30 Liverpool shells you bought. Perhaps it will help the OP make a decision. 

Edited by rusty69

Just now, rusty69 said:

So tell us some of the faults in the 30 Liverpool shells you bought. Perhaps it will help the OP make a decision. 

Liverpool built good boats, as I have already said, the sales and happy owners clearly prove it. How many did they sell ?

My own buying from Liverpool was the same as buying from any other builder, as I have said, they all have their faults.