Liveaboard

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Not a very clear pic. Taken on a cold ( very ) day in January iirc 76 in the good old arctic off Iceland North Atlantic. The moment of impact as Thor or Tyr rammed us on the quarterdeck/flight deck. They had lots of bottle those chaps. Their vessels however were massively built and we sustained a fair bit of damage and had to be welded up as we went along over a couple of days. We were rammed twice and I don't recall which this was, the second ramming we sustained more severe damage and we were replaced after a few days by another frigate. Now that's what I call fun days in boating ? Sea dog and Nightwatch amongst others will fully understand. A bit of history anyway.

IMG-20180629-WA0012.jpg

• Greenie 4
  • Horror 1

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Not a very clear pic. Taken on a cold ( very ) day in January iirc 76 in the good old arctic off Iceland North Atlantic. The moment of impact as Thor or Tyr rammed us on the quarterdeck/flight deck. They had lots of bottle those chaps. Their vessels however were massively built and we sustained a fair bit of damage and had to be welded up as we went along over a couple of days. We were rammed twice and I don't recall which this was, the second ramming we sustained more severe damage and we were replaced after a few days by another frigate. Now that's what I call fun days in boating ? Sea dog and Nightwatch amongst others will fully understand. A bit of history anyway.

IMG-20180629-WA0012.jpg

No Toilet Tank damage though ,Bet you had a Cassette!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

No Toilet Tank damage though ,Bet you had a Cassette!

You old rascal ? No we did it properly innitt n the 70s ......all sewage went straight over the side as did all rubbish neatly placed in black plastic bags.

Edited by mrsmelly

Not long after the Cod Wars I joined United Towing in Hull, running the deep sea tugs, including Lloydsman and Statesman. I am sure you may remember both of them as they too had similar ramming incidents while acting as guardships. Hull Maritime Museum has some terrific footage of Cod War activity including some of the ramming and net cutting incidents which they showed at public viewings last year. 

Howard

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, howardang said:

Not long after the Cod Wars I joined United Towing in Hull, running the deep sea tugs, including Lloydsman and Statesman. I am sure you may remember both of them as they too had similar ramming incidents while acting as guardships. Hull Maritime Museum has some terrific footage of Cod War activity including some of the ramming and net cutting incidents which they showed at public viewings last year. 

Howard

Small world. I do indeed recall those tugs. The foto here is where  the gunboat was making a run for the nets  of a trawler as you know they dragged heavy cutting chains to sever the trawlers rig and our skipper took us at speed in front of the gunboat as we were there to protect the fishing fleet. Usualy the gunboat had space to stop but I think on this occasion a combination of our skipper and the gunboats skipper both having similar egos brought the pictured result. A few seconds later would have probably been a more dramatic foto. Great times for us young blokes in often very heavy seas. We went into grimsby docks with about thirty trawlers some weeks later in convoy. All the fleet fire boats etc met us on the way in. We the ships company were given free entry and beer in the night club, Top rank  iirc or similar and the  only other people allowed in on that night they opened especialy for us were females it was quite simply an amazing night as all the girls that outnumbered us about ten to one were very appreciative of how we had looked after their Dads and brothers :D and I mean VERY appreciative!!

• Happy 1

On 29/06/2018 at 18:28, mrsmelly said:

IMG-20180629-WA0012.jpg

I was invited to go there whilst on the Exmouth. Our skipper, a two and half ringer, really enjoyed himself. We had gas engines and weighed only 1500 tons. We ran circles around the gun boats. Quite often, you'd hear "lift and shift". Usually around scran  time. It was brilliant. We were due to go up the Manch Canal so had the Ariel on the top of the mast removed. Our jolly was cancelled and we had to 'race' to Faslane to get it back. Pompey docky drove it up from Portsmouth to meet us. Weren't up there long. The engines were governed down to 25 knots as the ship was getting on a bit. To my knowledge this restriction was mysteriously removed. Wasn't long after when we returned to Portland Squadron that Exmouth 'was like a sieve' and was destined for scrap. Great times. Probably never to be repeated in the same way. Thanks for the piccy.

IMG_1408.JPG

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

Not advertising honestly!  I have a book about the Wasp helicopter coming out in the Autumn and there is a section on the Cod Wars with a remarkably similar ramming photo in it that I got from the Flight Commander of Andromeda. I personally missed out on that fun and games although had some 'fun' a few years later.

Edited by larryjc

46 minutes ago, larryjc said:

Not advertising honestly!  I have a book about the Wasp helicopter coming out in the Autumn and there is a section on the Cod Wars with a remarkably similar ramming photo in it that I got from the Flight Commander of Andromeda. I personally missed out on that fun and games although had some 'fun' a few years later.

I was on Andromeda it will be the same piccie. I went up in a wasp on a jolly on a couple of occasions. I say Jolly for want of a better word having also flown sea king once and a civvie thing and quite honestly its a detestable way to fly they are hateful things but you must like them?

That will have been with Lieutenant, later Commodore and even later SW Police Commisioner Tony Hogg I suspect.  Good bloke.  I flew the Wasp but not at sea thankfully surprisingly I also flew one last summer with my co author who owns an airworthy example.  A great machine to muck around in on a sunny day, night deck landings off Iceland maybe not so much!!

3 minutes ago, larryjc said:

That will have been with Lieutenant, later Commodore and even later SW Police Commisioner Tony Hogg I suspect.  Good bloke.  I flew the Wasp but not at sea thankfully surprisingly I also flew one last summer with my co author who owns an airworthy example.  A great machine to muck around in on a sunny day, night deck landings off Iceland maybe not so much!!

I went up in one off Iceland and the Med. I hate the orrible noisey things but its not as scarey as the bosuns chair which several of us did for fun during a RAS in several places including the North Atlantic. We were only kids and had to " Look Hard " to each other didnt we also when gloss painting the bloomin yardarms!! Wouldnt catch me doing any of it today, my bottle is well and truely un corked.

I went up in our Wasp on the Euryalus on a couple of occasions. Numbered 433.  I didn't dislike the experience. This was out the Far East on Biera Patrol. No doors. Lt Woods the pilot was great, chased some dolphins or porpoises at low level, then just went up at,to me, an alarming rate. Very good. 433 ditched fifty feet astern of the flight deck later with another pilot. Pilot was safe and sound.

Went up in a Lynx some years later. Not as exciting.

Whilst on Gulf Patrol in 1980 ish, I was jackstayed to an Aussie ship from the Birmingham. Just with the strop under me armpits. Thankfully the return transfer was by seaboat. The aussies allowed me to taste some of the tinnies on board.

I've led a sheltered life.

Swing them lamps, pull up a bollard and I'll spin you a ditty.

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I went up in our Wasp on the Euryalus on a couple of occasions. Numbered 433.  I didn't dislike the experience. This was out the Far East on Biera Patrol. No doors. Lt Woods the pilot was great, chased some dolphins or porpoises at low level, then just went up at,to me, an alarming rate. Very good. 433 ditched fifty feet astern of the flight deck later with another pilot. Pilot was safe and sound.

Went up in a Lynx some years later. Not as exciting.

Whilst on Gulf Patrol in 1980 ish, I was jackstayed to an Aussie ship from the Birmingham. Just with the strop under me armpits. Thankfully the return transfer was by seaboat. The aussies allowed me to taste some of the tinnies on board.

I've led a sheltered life.

Swing them lamps, pull up a bollard and I'll spin you a ditty.

?Yep and to think I dropped out of Uni..............thank god. Well didnt go so didnt drop out. Life was Hell in the 70s wasnt it :D

• Greenie 1