Boat name: Punning assistance required.

NealSmith100

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

This is the second time in less than a week I have seen using a bow thruster to  navigate in a straight line ???.

This is perfectly fair if the boat wasn't previously willing to go in a straight line. I used a girly button for the first time in France last week: our hire boat had a considerable delay on the wheel steering and the GB did come in useful at a couple of bridges and on a narrowish hackaduck.

1 hour ago, NealSmith100 said:

Well, even a novice such as I, with my many failings and expected need to use a bow thruster at times,. I imagine (I've never been on a boat with one yet) can manage a straight line between locks ok.

But I guess if that makes you comfortable and guarantees everything goes perfectly. then that is sort of what they are there for!

(I now expected to get lambasted! :) )

Consider yourself lambasted.:D

The primary purpose of a bowThruster is to prevent inexperienced boaters learning how to manage the boat with the proper equipment.

It also has several subsidiary uses:

• complicating the boat's electrical systems
  • introducing an extra weak point in the hull
  • helping to separate the owner from his cash
  • making an unpleasant noise
  • appealing to inexperienced boat purchasers
  • helping the elderly and infirm to cope with some navigational difficulties eg akward marina berths
  • helping boaters return to their moorings after moving a few hundred yards for water etc without the need to wind by helping with reversing.

It can be coupled with a sternThruster (lateral), an all-electric drive, Lithium batteries, and an EcoFan, for the ultimate in boating pleasure.

Now awaiting a return salvo.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

This is perfectly fair if the boat wasn't previously willing to go in a straight line. I used a girly button for the first time in France last week: our hire boat had a considerable delay on the wheel steering and the GB did come in useful at a couple of bridges and on a narrowish hackaduck.

Steer earlier then!

54 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

The primary purpose of a bowThruster is to prevent inexperienced boaters learning how to manage the boat with the proper equipment.

It also has several subsidiary uses:

• complicating the boat's electrical systems
  • introducing an extra weak point in the hull
  • helping to separate the owner from his cash
  • making an unpleasant noise
  • appealing to inexperienced boat purchasers
  • helping the elderly and infirm to cope with some navigational difficulties eg akward marina berths
  • helping boaters return to their moorings after moving a few hundred yards for water etc without the need to wind by helping with reversing.

It can be coupled with a sternThruster (lateral), an all-electric drive, Lithium batteries, and an EcoFan, for the ultimate in boating pleasure.

Now awaiting a return salvo.

It also provides another unpaintable area below the water line , where the rust can quietly get a hold until you get that nasty sinking feeling...

37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It also provides another unpaintable area below the water line , where the rust can quietly get a hold until you get that nasty sinking feeling...

Given that many people don’t paint their base plates, and their boats don’t get rusty and sink, I presume you are introducing a hint of sarcasm?

I don’t know why bowthrusters get such a bad rap here. They can be helpful and handy in certain circumstances. I haven’t got one on my current boat, and can do everything I want to, but one would be handy for reversing, as it would save me slowing down to straighten up the bow, and for controlling the bow when docking/undocking, particularly when single handed.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Given that many people don’t paint their base plates, and their boats don’t get rusty and sink, I presume you are introducing a hint of sarcasm?

There have been instances of bow thruster tubes which have rusted right through. The underside of the outside of the tube is buried in a bow locker and not easy to get at to derust and paint, the inside is completely inaccessible if there are welded bars over the ends, and whenever the BT is used there is some erosion of the steel from the inside. And being just below water level there is more dissolved oxygen in the water than under the baseplate.

(And I paint my baseplate).

10 hours ago, dogless said:

We used to have horses rather than engines.

We can now have a bow thruster instead of a crew member and a long shaft.

Nowt to get sniffy about, they're not yet compulsory ;)

Rog

Yet?

Is there something you know about this we haven't been told yet?