Boat name: Punning assistance required.

NealSmith100

Featured Posts

So....with the imminent boat purchase, we need a name and I thought it might be nice if we named it after our respective mother's in some kind of clever witty pun because, well, I thought it might be nice, Mrs Neal would appreciate it and because well, how hard can it be???

Trouble is, I can't think of any puns that combine from Maureen / Moor and Gill/Gilly/Gillian that are not either riffs on Happy Gilmore or the Gilmore Girls. So quite hard it turns out.

Anyone got anything better?

Edited by NealSmith100

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Don't do it! Any punnery will get very stale and unfunny in a remarkably short space of time.

Our boat is named after my late father-in-law's boat (it was not a narrowboat) so might I suggest another way of commemorating the mothers?

We weren't set on it, so it was just a thought.

Someone suggested Goatee McFloaty (not me!) so we are starting from a fairly low bar!!

Puns and badly spelled names can be slightly amusing the first time you see them but after that its just cringe making. There is only one that makes me smile every time that I see it: 

Lunar Sea.

............Dave

I know I'll be asked about the name I've chosen for the new boat, it will be called KenDorR, the capitals are important.

My initials are KDR, dad was called Kenneth and mam was called Dorrieon, so I managed to mix their names in with my initials. Possibly doesn't help the op, but might give some ideas.

Don't choose any name that's going to make you sound daft on the VHF on the Thames etc.  Just think of those Clipper captains rolling their eyes, and having all their worst thoughts about narrowboats confirmed.

54 minutes ago, NealSmith100 said:

Mason and Smith.

In the 70s Nick Grey bought Redshank and Greenshank from Leslie Morton of Willow Wren and for a while worked them with his partner Corinna Brown doing retail coal trade. So they obviously had the names Brown and Grey on the name panel - all together quite a colour palette. Your Mason and Smith are pretty good too if you can use that in some way instead of the first names - perhaps you could call it Builders    ?

Just now, Winn said:

Maureen means Great and Gill means Youthful, how about   'Great Youth' 

I've often wondered where these "meanings of names" originate. I have cut-and-pasted the following from Tinternet:

"What Does Name "Maureen" Mean

You have psychic power. You can carry on for others with joy. You have a receptive nature and may bear burdens for others. You are pragmatic, thorough, strong-willed, practical and stubborn at times. You are hard working, often martyr to duty. You like home and security above all.You are bold, independent, inquisitive and interested in research. You know what you want and why you want it.

You are seeking freedom, opportunities to enjoy life: to make love, to go places and to do things. You are very adventurous and willing to take risk to achieve your objectives. New ways and new experiences can't satisfy your restless nature. One adventure leads you to another. You are honest and fair, because you know that this is the only way to receive justice and honesty from other people. But your personal growth is vital for your, and it is difficult to be tied down by rules and obligations. Your restless spirit might best controlled by choosing the field of work that meet your demand for action and adventure."

I submit that this is utter twaddle of the first order.