Bow camera

Gary Peacock

Featured Posts

I would be more concerned by the intakes. If a direct cooling system clogs with leaves then what chance will this have? though it's probably more likely to clog with ducks!

Sharpened mesh over the intakes would mince them on the way in.

I would be more concerned by the intakes. If a direct cooling system clogs with leaves then what chance will this have? though it's probably more likely to clog with ducks!

I'm not certain where he planned to put the intakes, but I do know that he planned to use one or two central intakes, probably with some sort of sea chest arrangement. I admit it's a potential weak point in the design, but only if care isn't taken to ensure that they do the job properly under all normal operating conditions (which should include rubbish/leaves in the cut). Of course such a vessel would have no propellor or rudder for rubbish to catch on or to get hung up in lock gates, etc.

Personally I thought that there were a couple of applications for boats like this, one was as pleasure boats for people with restricted physical abilities, and the other was large trains of working boats tracked by differential GPS (or the new EU system, if it ever comes online) and controlled by one or two people and a lot of computers. (Did I mention that this was a fully electronic, sail-by-wire design?)

We looked at doing one unfortunately BW raised concerns with reguards to HSE implications. Needless to say it didn't happen.

BW and Health and safety? It wasn't long ago I reported some very dangerous exposed sluice workings in the towpath (a grille covering them had been disappeared). I was informed by some fool in watford that; quote: "You use the waterways at your own risk and BW are not liable for any accidents."

When I'd finished laughing at him I dropped a note into the stophouse and it was made safe, temporarily, the next day and repaired properly within a fortnight.

i need a camera on the bow facing into the galley so i can see just why the hell it is taking so long for them to make the cuppa scorch i ordered half an hour ago.

nothing worse than effing and blinding to yourself on the tiller , wondering if they have just forgot you or are ignoring you so they can have all the biscuits and cakes to themselves.

• 9 months later...
It could be a good way of filming elusive kingfishers.

Is the owner particularly short ??

I have a rear camera on my car for reversing - necessary - absolutely not, but great fun for watching the guy

picking his nose in the car behind or the lady putting on her make-up at the traffic lights without them knowing.

I remember one guy who wanted a periscope so he could helm from inside the cabin without getting wet or cold.

It will never catch on but if he's part of the MMTS brigade, why not.

It keeps you busy and buys you those holidays in Egypt.

mmts ??????? tra

Bow and stern IR cameras to record the little bleeders untying your boat and for the propulsion unit has anyone fitted a Schottel drive in a narrowboat yet?

Trouble is - one hoody looks just like another on video!

I've got a redundant el cheapo webcam and an antique laptop ... run a 55ft USB cable along the gunwales?

Being somewhat short in stature and having a 12ft wide boat makes it very difficult to see what's going on. Mind you, in any 'tense' situation I simply shut my eyes tight, hold my breath and whimper ... so I wouldn't be looking at a screen anyway.

I'll leave it to the PC gurus to say how much use a camera extended by a 55 foot USB cable would be!

Might work, I guess, but I seem to recall the maximum length over which USB is designed to work is only about 5 metres.

Anyway why have a camera, when you can have someone on the bows flailing and windmilling their hands in a way that could be interpreted as....

Steer left

Steer right

Go forwards

Go backwards

I'm getting off

I'm staying on

There's a dead body under the pontoon

Pick 2 or more from above list

Etc.

Much more fun that way!

(I love the words "I told you you were going to hit it"....)

Alan

I would have vhs, but handheld unit only.

camera?, why, a driving a new artic< that has a re-end camera, but its too distracting, haven't bent one yet so will stick with eyeballs and mirrors. Might be useful to have camera on nearside of hgv in EU though.

If boat-theft gets any more frequent, would have a gps tracker i guess.

55ft of USB cable would be useless... what you can get, however are CCTV cameras with a network port which you can hook up to, along with your PC, a switch, or hub.

I think the limit for RJ45 cable is 100m so you shouldn't have any problems there :lol: