Insurance cover for a first boat

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

Can anyone offer any advice?

just in the process of buying a first boat, but some insurers are declining cover with no experience or qualification.

ive had quotes from Saga and Towergate at reasonable cost.

Does anyone have any experi nice of these...or other thoughts?

many thanks 

I started boating using Michael Stimpson - because he was a boater and friendly at boat shows (!). Good rates as well. He later sold the business to Towergate, who likewise have been helpful when required and perhaps more importantly, whose rates were reasonable.

Latterly the Group have provided travel cover for 'medical conditions' where the established companies wanted silly money...

Quite often it's a matter of with whom you feel comfortable, frinstance no hassle when I wanted Thames Tideway cover (it's standard) whereas others made a lot of hassle. 

Many thanks, I must confess to being more than a touch concerned at the lack of any detailed questions when speaking to Craft Insure. Saga (they have my car, contents etc) were very detailed.....but who knows. I think I may end with Towergate or Saga (they offered legal cover also).

appreciate the time and advice from all ?

I've been with Collidge & Partners since day one.  The initial reason was that a saw their flyer at a marina, rang them and they seemed nice.  Now I'd be unlikely to go anywhere else because, a few years back I had a large and potentially complicated claim.  C&P were excellent throughout the process.  I've been singing their praises to anyone who asks ever since.

3 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

Will try Coolidge.....Euro Marine join the long list of refusals due to no experience......!

:( They must have changed policy since I joined then. They just made a couple of restrictions ... like no night cruising and no tidal waters except Teddington to Brentford, which they dropped after first year. Sorry for wasting your time.

They would only offer terms if I confirmed that a number experienced skipper was in control until I was competent....! Not sure I’ve ever been competent at anything.....at least that’s what my wife says!

Collidge seem quite optimistic....so will keep you posted.

Cheers all again.

1 hour ago, Dunworkin said:

They would only offer terms if I confirmed that a number experienced skipper was in control until I was competent....! Not sure I’ve ever been competent at anything.....at least that’s what my wife says!

Collidge seem quite optimistic....so will keep you posted.

Cheers all again.

Might be worth doing a 2-day helmsman course - then you'd have apiece of paper to say you were competent

I had thought of that, and will probably do it, but won’t have time before taking ownership. Collidge have offered cover at about where every body else has quoted and so I think that I will probably run with them.

once again, cheers for all the help.

When I took out insurance for my boat I was a new boater, the insurance company put a clause on the policy that I was unable to move the boat without an experienced person. This clause was taken off once I'd done my helmsman course and got a RYA certificate for inland waters (best thing I ever did for my own confidence in boat handling).

12 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

They seem to have a loyal following - are they better than Collidge? 

So hard to know what to do for the best 

I'm with Craftinsure too. No such clauses re experience or qualifications (though I might scrape by), no constraining restrictions on where I can use my boat. Started off at a good price and have since gone down. Only customer service issue I've had with them was when the card my renewal payment was on went out of date. They rang to let me know, assured me they'd continued my cover and left me to pay at my convenience. Clearly  what's most important is how they handle claims, but it bodes well I guess. :)