Marple

Tuscan

Featured Posts

Yes, the coping stones had moved but the bulge causing the latest problem at lock 11 is over 6ft down in the lock.

Other have disagreed with me, but I believe leaving locks EMPTY for months while work is carried out on one of them, (lock 14) is a recipe for disaster.

George

38 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Yes, the coping stones had moved but the bulge causing the latest problem at lock 11 is over 6ft down in the lock.

Other have disagreed with me, but I believe leaving locks EMPTY for months while work is carried out on one of them, (lock 14) is a recipe for disaster.

George

I agree with you, though it must to a degree depend upon the stability of the surrounding ground, which given how much water comes out of leaky walls when draining most locks is probably not good.  I would have thought a few acrow props across each lock would be wise, but he hoy they know best...........

49 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

George

I thought that the recently completed work on a Marple lock involved wholly dismantling the walls (or at least one of them). Water in the lock would not be a possibility, if so.

The Macc canal was built late on the cheap and the Marple flight was the last part to be finished.

The locks are too deep and the ground work was never the best. There has been problems with the flight ever since it was built. There are area of woodland that has been allowed to encroach on the banks of the locks.

I lived nearby from 1970 till 2009 and there was always water leaking onto the towpath and the other side at many of the lower lock landings.

Leaving the locks empty over last winter so that the ground behind the lock walls could freeze will have caused ground heave in the thaw. An elementary mistake.

Is there an engineer in CRT that has any clue about canal construction and maintenance?   On recent past performance I think not.

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings

9 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I thought that the recently completed work on a Marple lock involved wholly dismantling the walls (or at least one of them). Water in the lock would not be a possibility, if so.

I think it was meant that whilst working on a lock, best not to leave all the others in a flight empty

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

The Macc canal was built late on the cheap and the Marple flight was the last part to be finished.

The locks are too deep and the ground work was never the best. There has been problems with the flight ever since it was built. There are area of woodland that has been allowed to encroach on the banks of the locks.

I lived nearby from 1970 till 2009 and there was always water leaking onto the towpath and the other side at many of the lower lock landings.

Leaving the locks empty over last winter so that the ground behind the lock walls could freeze will have caused ground heave in the thaw. An elementary mistake.

Is there an engineer in CRT that has any clue about canal construction and maintenance?   On recent past performance I think not.

The Marple flight was built by the Peak Forest, and was the last part of that canal to be completed. Regarding costs, virtually all canals were built on the cheap, and there were many instances of locks and other structures having to be rebuilt shortly after construction. That said, canals promoted and built in the 1790s did tend to be more inclined to structural problems.

7 hours ago, furnessvale said:

George

I suspect t you care right regarding being left empty , however as CRT said that the asset management team would look into this two months after they had been dewaterered then they might well have spotted the bulge as well. As we now know this asset management team obviously ignored this note if indeed it was passed on and did not check the coping stones or indeed anything else on this lock during the 8 months they were empty,