Giff gaff pay as you go

jenevers

Featured Posts

I buy a giffgaff "goody bag" as and when required. They give various inclusive minutes, texts and data.Run on 02 network iirc

5 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Yippee!

How?

I cant find anything on their website explaining the process

Check signal coverage at your intended location,order giffgaff sim ,recieve sim,insert sim in phone,best bet is to buy a goodybag of the appropriate size.Turn on mobile data, send e-mails. Simples.

They also have an android app, and website account info.

Some of the goodybags allow tethering.

Edited by rusty69

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Buy one ;)

Rusty’s post may be considered to be somewhat more informative than mine...

?

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I buy a giffgaff "goody bag" as and when required. They give various inclusive minutes, texts and data.Run on 02 network iirc

Check signal coverage at your intended location,order giffgaff sim ,recieve sim,insert sim in phone,best bet is to buy a goodybag of the appropriate size.Turn on mobile data, send e-mails. Simples.

They also have an android app, and website account info.

Some of the goodybags allow tethering.

The goody bags look like pay monthly deals.

I want payg.

15 minutes ago, jenevers said:

?

The goody bags look like pay monthly deals.

I want payg.

You just top up your credit but then don't buy a Goody bag.

These are the rates if you opt not to buy a Goody Bag (which have inclusive minutes/texts and data)

https://www.giffgaff.com/best-pay-as-you-go-sim

The Goody bags work out better value overall but 'expire'.

There is however no contract involved.

Edited by MJG

7 minutes ago, MJG said:

You just top up your credit but then don't buy a Goody bag.

The Goody bags work out better value overall but 'expire'.

There is however no contract involved.

So, as I just want 2 months while away from home, on the boat, maybe a monthly deal, that I can terminate after 2 months, is the better way to go. I didn’t want to have to take out a 12 month contract.

They even sent me a sim to my home in France.   You can add credit to your account which will then work as payg.   I buy a one month goody bag to use when I am on my boat in England and the rest of the time just have credit available.   However roaming in the EU can be used at the same rates, but if you never use it in the UK they would want to close your account, as a fair use policy applies.

5 minutes ago, jenevers said:

So, as I just want 2 months while away from home, on the boat, maybe a monthly deal, that I can terminate after 2 months, is the better way to go. I didn’t want to have to take out a 12 month contract.

Buying a goody bag does not tie you in to to any sort of contract.

Personally if it was me and I was using it for emailing as per your OP I would just buy a £10 Goody bag and then renew again the next month if that proves to e enough, if not you can change to another one ot trade down if it is too much.

If emailing from a computer or tablet just check the Godbag you are buying allows tethering. The link here suggests it is allowed on all their Goody Bags (and PAYG)

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learning-and-giffgaffer-articles/Tethering-policy/ta-p/7816336

Edited by MJG

I think the OP raises a valid point about giff gaff's website in that it is heavily loaded in favour of buying a goody bag rather than just topping up and then simply paying as you go.

EE's is similarly loaded in favour of their bundles on pay as you go too. On there you similarly use your credit to buy a bundled package but if you really just simply want to pay as you go the website would lead you to think it's not really an option. Of course this is because they want you to spend money for stuff you might not use up rather than spend a few quid and it last you months because you rarely use your phone.

Edited by MJG

1 hour ago, MJG said:

I think the OP raises a valid point about giff gaff's website in that it is heavily loaded in favour of buying a goody bag rather than just topping up and then simply paying as you go.

EE's is similarly loaded in favour of their bundles on pay as you go too. On there you similarly use your credit to buy a bundled package but if you really just simply want to pay as you go the website would lead you to think it's not really an option. Of course this is because they want you to spend money for stuff you might not use up rather than spend a few quid and it last you months because you rarely use your phone.

When I enquired about a 321 sim in a 3Three shop I was assured by two of the staff that it would cost £1 and only uses monthly data. Online it was free with no expiry date. Load of tossers. 

Must it be Giff Gaff?

I've been using 3 / Three for over two years in a Huawei MiFi placed in the window and very rarely fail to get a signal.

You can get a free SIM, top it up then PAYG 1p per MB if you want to try it out.

https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Much better value is to buy a 12GB 12 month SIM, and cheaper still if you buy from Amazon - compare their price with Three's price. Currently £32.99 on Amazon, £40 from Three.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Love2surf-Three-Broadband-International-Calling/dp/B01J1KI9AW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1526402060&sr=8-8&keywords=three+sim+cards

Even better value is the 24GB 24 month SIM at £44.45 from Amazon, £60 from Three. This is the one I've just bought from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Pay-Broadband-Data-Black/dp/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1526402060&sr=8-6&keywords=three+sim+cards

When it expires after 12/24 months of when data is used, which ever comes first,  do NOT top it up (1p per MB), just buy another one as it works out much cheaper. 

Edited by Lily Rose
Amendment

We have 4 giffgaff accounts two low use ( tracker and central Heating) that we use on payg as they only send occasional txts

Two on recuring giddy bags which we change as needed, wife's is 3gb mine varies from 3gb to 9gb depending on whether we will be away that month. 

I can't fault the system, credit on the two low use ones has been funded from recommendations at £5 a go....... Oh and MIL has one as well