March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

It was not a reference to the lavatory. 

Which leads on to to the obvious question of whether it is the wide bean boats which are responsible for the issues around no longer being able to dispose of the compost waste. 

In the bins. 

Edited by magnetman

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It was not a reference to the lavatory. 

Which leads on to to the obvious question of whether it is the wide bean boats which are responsible for the issues around no longer being able to dispose of the compost waste. 

Is that because all the beans they eat leads to more waste output, especially floaters?

Time for dinner now, restart the waste generator... 😉

Edited by IanD

Back cabins are very nice places to live. 

Or forecabins in the case of some of the larger wide bean hysterics. 

If you are ever on the river Wey stop at Dapdune wharf and go in their land based working barge. The forecabin there is to die for (or in) as a residential unit. The luxury is unsurpassed. It even has cupboards. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, IanD said:

OK, they are "taking advantage of a historical charging anomaly" -- what in taxation terms would be termed a legal loophole, like non-domicile status or offshore trusts.

Happy now? 😉

Can you cut the patronising tone please. Its not about me being 'happy' as you put it, your use of the word 'fiddling' betrayed an underlying prejudice which clealy underpins your opinions which is why I raised it.

The reference to non dom tax status is equally as irrelavent as your earlier mortgage reference.

There is currently no way for a widebeam owner to pay more licence fee than they are required, even if they wished to.

So talk of them 'fiddling' anything is pure nonsense.

Edited by M_JG

Just now, magnetman said:

It is an inadvertent loophole.

Its not even that.

For it to be a loophole it would need to be some sort of flaw or fault in the process that has been exploited in order to pay less than they are required to. (Just like non dom tax status).

They pay exactly what they owe, so they are not exploiting anything at all.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well a sad end to yet another thread

Im completely unaware of what that exactly is supposed to mean?

Its a discussion about widebeams, the ongoing discussion is about widebeams and their licence costs, what exactly is the problem with that?

3 hours ago, kris88 said:

Or leave crts water. 

Some of us already have this well in hand, I have no intention of staying on CRT waterways if it gets stupid! But will probably move regardless as it's a lovely place I have found

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Some of us already have this well in hand, I have no intention of staying on CRT waterways if it gets stupid! But will probably move regardless as it's a lovely place I have found

This is the advantage of not having a narrowboat, your not stuck on carts muddy ditches. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I’m scratching me head on that,

I’ve a Narrowboat but I’m not stuck to cart’s ditches am I?

People on wide beams can do the ancient mariner thing.

When they come back the wedding guest will ask "God save thee ancient mariner from the fiends that plague thee thus, why looks't though so ? 

"I bought a widebeam and took it to sea and it sunk beneath me, I swam and was saved by a fisherman.

I shot the albatross" 

(needs work on the ryme)

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m scratching me head on that,

I’ve a Narrowboat but I’m not stuck to cart’s ditches am I?

I probably didn’t word it as well as I could have. But you will be stuck, when there’s no water and the infrastructure finally collapses.

1 minute ago, kris88 said:

I probably didn’t word it as well as I could have. But you will be stuck, when there’s no water and the infrastructure finally collapses.

Yes but in the real world where can a wide bean go that a narrow boat can't go?

I've seen narrow boats in Newhaven and Ramsgate. 

I mean canal narrow boats not just small sailing boats which happen to be 7ft wide. 

Narrow boats can do a lot of things..

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Yes but in the real world where can a wide bean go that a narrow boat can't go?

I've seen narrow boats in Newhaven and Ramsgate. 

I mean canal narrow boats not just small sailing boats which happen to be 7ft wide. 

Narrow boats can do a lot of things..

Obviously depends on the boat. Floating apartments can’t do a lot other than ditches. But some of the other widebeams would be alright on estuaries. Can you remember the Mersey flat that I posted about being on an estuary just below barrow on furnace. I can’t remember the name of boat now Oakdale or something like it. Lovely spot to be stuck in that, obviously a tidal mud berth. So completely different to the ditches. 

Speaking of the creeks there is at least one narrow boat in Broadness creek which is near Dartford. I was offered a berth there but felt it was too muddy. 

Dartford in Kent not Dartmouth! Dartmouth is a lot nicer !!

Narrow boars can do more than people think. 

Edited by magnetman

One suspects that for a lot of people being able to tie the floating apartment to the towpath close to things like shops and parking areas could be significant motivators helping inform the choice to buy a wide bean.

Perhaps towpaths should be reallocated to local authorities and moorings looked after by wardens who take money for the privilege. 

It does seem curious that one comes across areas where the CRT are able to charge a rate for mooring when in fact all it is is a towpath with mickey mouse mooring rings. 

One wonders why this has not spread like wild fire as a way of getting more cash. 

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’ve seen Narrowboats tucked away on salty estuaries. 

It does happen, but I think every with a narrowboat every tide you’d be wondering if it’s coming down flat or not. The majority of narrowboat owners aren’t going to do it though anyway. But of course it’s possible. 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

One suspects that for a lot of people being able to tie the floating apartment to the towpath close to things like shops and parking areas could be significant motivators helping inform the choice to buy a wide bean.

Perhaps towpaths should be reallocated to local authorities and moorings looked after by wardens who take money for the privilege. 

It does seem curious that one comes across areas where the CRT are able to charge a rate for mooring when in fact all it is is a towpath with mickey mouse mooring rings. 

One wonders why this has not spread like wild fire as a way of getting more cash. 

That agent provocateur is raising his head again. 

2 minutes ago, kris88 said:

It does happen, but I think every with a narrowboat every tide you’d be wondering if it’s coming down flat or not. The majority of narrowboat owners aren’t going to do it though anyway. But of course it’s possible. 

That agent provocateur is raising his head again. 

Its also not unkown for heavy flat bottomed boats to stay stuck to the mud when the tide rises.

6 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Its also not unkown for heavy flat bottomed boats to stay stuck to the mud when the tide rises.

@NigelMoore had a few stories about this. 

One of them was a narrow boat which went down on the mud on a mud berth and it sucked the bottom so much if looked like it was going to sink. At the last minute it moved out of the mud. 

Quite a nail biting time where one may need more beer or a wee dram.

The other story, which was really quite alarming, was of a narrow boat at Brentford gas works (watermans park as it is now called) going down on the tide and a rectangular water tank getting wedged under it and causing the boat to keel over significantly. 

Flat bottom boat seems good but it can be quite nasty if things go wrong..

Edited by magnetman