New here

Allthatjaz

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Serious question, do boats say built in America or Australia have to comply with RCD if they end up in  Europe?

Yes.

I was looking at bringing in some boats from the USA. Upon landing in the 1st European country they were subject to VAT and import duty so it was important to identify the lowest tax European country (you didn't think there was a common standard of taxation did you ?) VAT was also applied to the freight cost.

They were next subject to RCD compliance evaluation (which they would automatically / invariably fail).

They could not be used or sold until full RCD compliance was met and signed off by a suitably qualified surveyor.

The 'words as they are writ' :

The import of recreational craft and personal watercraft from third countries to the Union by natural or legal persons established within the Union is a specific feature of the recreational craft sector. Directive 94/25/EC contained a small number of provisions which apply or could be deemed as applying to private importers as regards post construction assessment. Article 12 of Directive 2013/53/EU clarifies the obligations of private importers which in principle are harmonised with those of manufacturers, with some exceptions related to the non-commercial nature of a private importers activity.

Article 3(17) of Directive 2013/53/EU now defines a private importer as any natural or legal person established within the Union who imports in the course of a non-commercial activity a product from a third country into the Union with the intention of putting it into service for his own use. The concept of private importer that did not exist under the old Recreational Craft Directive.

Article 12 provides the detailed list of the private importer’s obligations. In short it makes it quite clear that if a manufacturer does not fulfil the responsibilities for the conformity of the product with the Directive, a private importer, before putting the product into service, shall ensure that it does by applying the applicable conformity assessment procedure set out in Article 19(2).

Article 19(2) of Directive 2013/53/EU makes it clear that a private importer shall apply the post construction assessment procedure referred to in Article 23 before putting into service a product that falls within its scope if the manufacturer has not carried out the conformity assessment for the product concerned.

Could be a good idea to join the DBA (Dutch barge association) too, lots of relevant info there. I am also looking at registering my boat as a Dutch or Belgian boat as there could be any amount of Brexit problems. France is v. nice, the Northern commercial canals are best avoided but the smaller Freycinet canals are underused and lovely, if your budget is healthy air con is not a bad idea as its very hot in summer,  Good luck.

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes.

I was looking at bringing in some boats from the USA. Upon landing in the 1st European country they were subject to VAT and import duty so it was important to identify the lowest tax European country (you didn't think there was a common standard of taxation did you ?) VAT was also applied to the freight cost.

They were next subject to RCD compliance evaluation (which they would automatically / invariably fail).

They could not be used or sold until full RCD compliance was met and signed off by a suitably qualified surveyor.

The 'words as they are writ' :

The import of recreational craft and personal watercraft from third countries to the Union by natural or legal persons established within the Union is a specific feature of the recreational craft sector. Directive 94/25/EC contained a small number of provisions which apply or could be deemed as applying to private importers as regards post construction assessment. Article 12 of Directive 2013/53/EU clarifies the obligations of private importers which in principle are harmonised with those of manufacturers, with some exceptions related to the non-commercial nature of a private importers activity.

Article 3(17) of Directive 2013/53/EU now defines a private importer as any natural or legal person established within the Union who imports in the course of a non-commercial activity a product from a third country into the Union with the intention of putting it into service for his own use. The concept of private importer that did not exist under the old Recreational Craft Directive.

Article 12 provides the detailed list of the private importer’s obligations. In short it makes it quite clear that if a manufacturer does not fulfil the responsibilities for the conformity of the product with the Directive, a private importer, before putting the product into service, shall ensure that it does by applying the applicable conformity assessment procedure set out in Article 19(2).

Article 19(2) of Directive 2013/53/EU makes it clear that a private importer shall apply the post construction assessment procedure referred to in Article 23 before putting into service a product that falls within its scope if the manufacturer has not carried out the conformity assessment for the product concerned.

Thanks Alan. Not suprised that the poxy eu attempt to dictate everything including how to build a boat to the entire world.

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

When I fitted one of my previous boats from a new shell I did it to RCD requirements. Serious question, do boats say built in America or Australia have to comply with RCD if they end up in  Europe?  If the Uk ever exits the eu will any boats built here ever be allowed over there without RCD registration?

THats because we are all lovely innitt even though you are fitting a Wide/narrowboat which cannot exist :D

If a boat is being made in Australia or America to export to the EU, it has to comply to RCD regs but if they are just visiting they don't need anything; though a marina could insist on seeing their ABYC or AS/NZS which is a standard pretty much the same as our RCD. Commercial vessels are different'

Edited by Allthatjaz

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks Alan. Not suprised that the poxy eu attempt to dictate everything including how to build a boat to the entire world.

Yeah, its a bit like the poxy CRT dictating to the entire world that if they want to plonk a boat on the GU that it has to comply with the BSS.

1 minute ago, Bee said:

Yeah, its a bit like the poxy CRT dictating to the entire world that if they want to plonk a boat on the GU that it has to comply with the BSS.

The difference being that CART are only dictating to boats on UK waters whereas the eu is dictating rules to all countries as is usual.

52 minutes ago, Bee said:

Could be a good idea to join the DBA (Dutch barge association) too, lots of relevant info there. I am also looking at registering my boat as a Dutch or Belgian boat as there could be any amount of Brexit problems. France is v. nice, the Northern commercial canals are best avoided but the smaller Freycinet canals are underused and lovely, if your budget is healthy air con is not a bad idea as its very hot in summer,  Good luck.

Thanks for that. We are used to the med and know how unbearably hot it gets but at least with an ocean you can go offshore and get a nice sea breeze. I imagine the slow pace on a canal could be pretty stifling. 

With our yacht, it has to be completely water tight. It once took a full role out in Fastnet and came up dry. Obviously the problem with closing all the gaps is the risk of suffocation but when you are riding a storm out in the North Sea, you tend to be back and forth on deck. 

When we planned this boat we wanted to close all the gaps, similar to what we did on the yacht and make it much more energy efficient and because this is a canal/river boat, we aren't too worried about storms, so we have installed a VMC unit so that when everything is closed the temperature will remain constant and we will have good air circulation. Not sure how that's going to work out in the sweltering heat, only time will tell.

Personally I'll just want to throw open the windows and doors and sit out the back sunbathing!

48 minutes ago, Allthatjaz said:

When we planned this boat we wanted to close all the gaps, similar to what we did on the yacht...........

Maybe you are fully aware of the BSS requirement, if so apologies, if not, hope this helps.

The BSS requirements will mean that you cannot close off ventilation - they are (supposedly) only advisory but some examiners can get a bit arsey.

There is allowance within the BSS regulations for 'sea-going' vessels having restricted ventilation (for example we have to have a sign in the galley informing that the window / hatch must be opened when using the cooker / hob)

Section 8 of the BSS 2105 edition states :

For vessels for which a fault is recorded at
8.9.1, identify seagoing boats with closable
ventilators.
Check for the presence of, and the wording on,
warning notices on or near to all non‐room
sealed fuel‐burning appliances.

On all seagoing boats with closable ventilators a warning
notice must displayed on or near all non‐room‐sealed fuel burning
appliances.
The warning notice must read: ‘WARNING – Open
ventilator(s) before use’, or equivalent wording.

Ensure that your BSS inspector is aware that you plan to go to sea.

You can just see our notice (fully BSS compliant) behind the kettle.

Versatility-35-25.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

This is an exciting project. I have little interest in wide beam boats on English waterways (though I sometimes admire a couple of rather splendid barges moored not far from us at Ely) but I have considerable interest in the French waterways, where such craft are quite at home. I look forward to seeing photos of the project when your camera decides it's taken enough of them.

Any sign of the portholes yet?

On 27/04/2018 at 18:19, LadyG said:
On 28/04/2018 at 10:01, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe you are fully aware of the BSS requirement, if so apologies, if not, hope this helps.

The BSS requirements will mean that you cannot close off ventilation - they are (supposedly) only advisory but some examiners can get a bit arsey.

There is allowance within the BSS regulations for 'sea-going' vessels having restricted ventilation (for example we have to have a sign in the galley informing that the window / hatch must be opened when using the cooker / hob)

Section 8 of the BSS 2105 edition states :

For vessels for which a fault is recorded at
8.9.1, identify seagoing boats with closable
ventilators.
Check for the presence of, and the wording on,
warning notices on or near to all non‐room
sealed fuel‐burning appliances.

On all seagoing boats with closable ventilators a warning
notice must displayed on or near all non‐room‐sealed fuel burning
appliances.
The warning notice must read: ‘WARNING – Open
ventilator(s) before use’, or equivalent wording.

Ensure that your BSS inspector is aware that you plan to go to sea.

You can just see our notice (fully BSS compliant) behind the kettle.

Versatility-35-25.jpg

Hi Alan, Yes we are up to date with BSS requirements. We do have vents along the roof line and we have got an air exchanger. 

oops I'm making a mess of this. Its all that painting I did this weekend!