Traveller toilet troubles

Featured Posts

I have a traveller toilet in my boat which has an anti siphon valve at the rear. Water has started to leak from the top of the valve (not the seal to the pan) when the toilet is flushed. I suspect that old age has the better of it but does anyone know of a simple fix or repair to cure the leak which will save me spending sixty quid on a piece of ABS plastic which probably cost pennies to make.

Vary many thanks

Simon

Is this the type that introduces an air break to stop the syphon effect? And it is leaking from the air hole on top? If so it will have some form of floating ball inside that closes the hole when there is water in the valve.

In which case it probably need cleaning inside to get a good seal again?

2 hours ago, sbillis said:

I have a traveller toilet in my boat which has an anti siphon valve at the rear. Water has started to leak from the top of the valve (not the seal to the pan) when the toilet is flushed. I suspect that old age has the better of it but does anyone know of a simple fix or repair to cure the leak which will save me spending sixty quid on a piece of ABS plastic which probably cost pennies to make.

Vary many thanks

Simon

Is it this bit https://www.leesan.com/shop/toilet-spare-parts/sealanddometic/dometic-sealand-vacuum-breaker-kit-385316906.aspx

Thanks to all and yes Brian it is this one. I have to say the replacement as shown is the cheapest I have seen but still an extortionate price.

The unit is sealed and does not appear it can be cleaned or maintained without destroying it; unless anyone knows of a fix.

Very many thanks

Simon

43 minutes ago, sbillis said:

The unit is sealed and does not appear it can be cleaned or maintained without destroying it.

Simon. 

Give Leesan a call. Ask for Michael. He is their technical bod. Quote the part number and tell him where it is leaking. He will tell you if it can be repaired. I have been in there quite a few times to get help servicing our vacuuflush pump and he has been very very good. He is interested in helping rather than selling you something. Very good service. I think he is on holiday this week though. Ring next Monday.

1 hour ago, sbillis said:

I have to say the replacement as shown is the cheapest I have seen but still an extortionate price.

Hmmm... £37 for what appears to be quite a complex moulding including moving parts doesn’t seem that bad to me in this day and age. 

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Hmmm... £37 for what appears to be quite a complex moulding including moving parts doesn’t seem that bad to me in this day and age. 

I agree and how many YEARS has the first one lasted?

B.O.A.T

again springs to mind.

On 08/04/2018 at 20:41, sbillis said:

Vary many thanks

Simon

I taking a shot in the dark here, but what about a blob of silcone seal on the leaky bit? Maybe even some Gorilla glue? It's good strong stuff.

Just over the weekend, I had to replace the bellow in my Porta-potty and it was murder. Damn thing was glued in. It took a lot of hacking, sweating, swearing, and scratches (to my hand) to get the old one out. You have my sympathies. May the Lord have mercy on your soul.