I got 99 problems and the Batts are one

DanMax&Belle

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Had the boat ten years now and we are on our third box, switch and pump. Rubbish design and if we physically had room for anything else we would have replaced it years ago. 

Our shower room and both bathrooms are below the water line.

We have a 'grey water tank' (in addition to the Black water tank) as grey water disposal is not allowed in many European inshore waters.

Simply self-pump-out once a week(ish).

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our shower room and both bathrooms are below the water line.

We have a 'grey water tank' (in addition to the Black water tank) as grey water disposal is not allowed in many European inshore waters.

Simply self-pump-out once a week(ish).

We have a grey water tank fitted but it isn't plumbed in and it just isn't very big. We keep saying we will remove it but have never gotten around too it.

53 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have a grey water tank fitted but it isn't plumbed in and it just isn't very big. We keep saying we will remove it but have never gotten around too it.

If you removed it that would give you the space to fit a Whale Gulper and you could then remove the hateful sump box. 

5 hours ago, DanMax&Belle said:

Can you all stop flirting on this deadly serious battery/sump box post please?  

All this frippery may be important if you get a few spiders nesting down there..........and it does bump it back to the top of the list when it is quiet........?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Well, our whale gulper shower pump will be celebrating 20 years next year. Glad we havecno sump box, sounds like a rubbish idea. 

We've just bought a spare gulper shower pump. Be a disaster if it failed. Mrs Bob would not be pleased.

Just now, Dr Bob said:

We've just bought a spare gulper shower pump. Be a disaster if it failed. Mrs Bob would not be pleased.

You won't need it!

Ours is in daily use. Never serviced, never failed. 

Suspect it will now I've said that. 

• Happy 1

Just now, Dr Bob said:

I know what you are saying. We have increased our number of spares we have this year - well at least the ones RCR wont fix foc. I dont think a sump box is too easy to plan for.

Sell the gulper (to me for 40 quid) buy 4 spare main water pumps and a bucket. Sorted. 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Sell the gulper (to me for 40 quid) buy 4 spare main water pumps and a bucket. Sorted. 

I think I paid £115 for it at the local swindlers. Hell the Jabsco 2.9 water pump was only £70 and looks far more complicated. The spare vacuflush pump was a bit more!

Just now, Dr Bob said:

I think I paid £115 for it at the local swindlers. Hell the Jabsco 2.9 water pump was only £70 and looks far more complicated. The spare vacuflush pump was a bit more!

Finks you was dun! 

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I will hook my gulper up in place of the jabsco, see if it works. Think it might upset the paloma. :)

A simple pump will likely last longer. 

The only problem I've ever had with our gulper shower pump was the screws holding the case together which worked a bit loose and allowed leakage. I nipped them up good and hard and they've never done it again. Presumably just not torqued up properly in the factory.

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

If your box is sealed, how does water flow into it? What happens to the displaced air? How does air get back in when the pump kicks in and drains the box? These boxes tend to have screwed-on lids but are not actually sealed, so that air can get in and out. Perhaps yours is different but it’s hard to see how it could work if it’s sealed.

You have a 'breather' pipe of sufficient height, and the wires to any submersible pump or float switch can run down the breather.

Sounds to me that 90% of sump boxes on boats are badly designed or installed, thus all the negative comments. ?

PS what happened to the usual smileys, all I can see now are loads of 'emojis'?

Edited by smileypete

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

They appear at the very end of the long list of emoji's. 

Or use : and ) for :)

; and ) for ;)

: and D for :D

: and P for :P

I’m sure there are more.