Condensation in engine 'ole

Featured Posts

Bit of advice needed.

Problem is excessive condensation on undersides of hexagrip deck boards (narrowboat cruiser stern type).

I get enough water in the bilge just from rain etc., but always loads of condensation from deckboards as well compounds the situation.

Has anyone found any suitable material that could be stuck to the underside that would reduce this source of ingress?

It would need to be heat resistant from the engine just below it of course.  As would any adhesive used to attach the material.

Welcome any suggestions or experiences from the gurus here.  Ta.

2 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Sticks like Sh*t sticks mimost things to most things, it's my default adhesive .

Phil 

I would be to embarrassed to ask for that!  

But I think they may have changed its name to something more acceptable recently.

3 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Sticks like Sh*t sticks mimost things to most things, it's my default adhesive .

Phil 

It is a very good adhesive even works under water. Its acceptable to Just ask for 'Sticks like' when ordering by phone. I believe evostick do sell it under a more commercial name but I can't remember what it is.

Originally done as a joke for trade customers only but it caught on.

ETA

Toolstation sell it under the name "Sticks Like"  or  "Sticks like Turbo" for a fast action all weather adhesive. Don't let the name put you off it is a very fine and versatile adhesive.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+%26+Sealants/d180/Grab+Adhesive/sd3199

Edited by reg

Sticks like -Cyano-4-(dodecyl-sulfanylthiocarbonyl)sulfanylpentanoic acid, S-Cyanomethyl-5-dodecyltrithiocarbonate, S-(2-Cyano-2-propyl)-S-dodecyltrithiocarbonate, 3-benzylsulfanylthiocarbonylsulfanyl-propionic acid, cumyl dithiobenzoate, 2-cyanoprop-2-yl dithiobenzoate (i.e., cyanoisopropyl dithiobenzoate), 4-thiobenzoylsulfanyl-4-cyanopentanoic acid (TCA), S,S′-bis(α,α′-dimethyl-α″-acetic acid)-trithiocarbonate

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

'Sticks like' is a crosslinkable siloxane so will cure to a hard, flexible solid which should not be affected by heat (at least below 100°C that you will find in the engine bay). Good choice.

I glued a shed door together with it about 15 years ago when it was all I had to hand. It’s still as good as the day I built it. 

44 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Sticks like -Cyano-4-(dodecyl-sulfanylthiocarbonyl)sulfanylpentanoic acid, S-Cyanomethyl-5-dodecyltrithiocarbonate, S-(2-Cyano-2-propyl)-S-dodecyltrithiocarbonate, 3-benzylsulfanylthiocarbonylsulfanyl-propionic acid, cumyl dithiobenzoate, 2-cyanoprop-2-yl dithiobenzoate (i.e., cyanoisopropyl dithiobenzoate), 4-thiobenzoylsulfanyl-4-cyanopentanoic acid (TCA), S,S′-bis(α,α′-dimethyl-α″-acetic acid)-trithiocarbonate

Like it!

Much more comfortable asking for that - see you at the funny-farm!!  :D

17 hours ago, WotEver said:

I glued a shed door together with it about 15 years ago when it was all I had to hand. It’s still as good as the day I built it. 

I glued my wooden floor bearers to the steel bearers about 13 years ago, fairly harsh environment but it still looks solid, probably need a lump hammer to shift it. For a damp environment it would still be my first choice.

6 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

Screws and penny washers are good for fixing insulation to underside of deck boards.

Belt and braces then, eh?

I am a little reluctant to unnecessarily puncture the phenolic undersurface with screws though, as that could offer moisture an easier route into the ply core.

On 01/04/2018 at 00:06, Rebotco said:

Belt and braces then, eh?

I am a little reluctant to unnecessarily puncture the phenolic undersurface with screws though, as that could offer moisture an easier route into the ply core.

Then put some silicon sealant on the threads of the screws. You need to sort out why you are getting water in you bilge as all the time this is there you will get condensation on your deck boards. 

8 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

Then put some silicon sealant on the threads of the screws. You need to sort out why you are getting water in you bilge as all the time this is there you will get condensation on your deck boards. 

I think I know why! 

Its a cruiser stern, so whatever is done, some rain will get in.  To make matters worse, there are no vents in the engine ole.

The insulation lining is only a possible "sticking plaster" cure for the time being.

45 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

I think I know why! 

Its a cruiser stern, so whatever is done, some rain will get in.  To make matters worse, there are no vents in the engine ole.

The insulation lining is only a possible "sticking plaster" cure for the time being.

Some of these insulations will just soak up the condensation and make matters worse. Have you considered putting a pram hood on you boat?   

3 hours ago, Rebotco said:

I think I know why! 

No, we've got a cruiser stern and the engine bay bilge was dry all summer -exept when it went for blacking and the water jetting must have overwhelmed the drainage system. There is a channel with 4 drain holes all around the 'hole' so all water drains away. It is very dry. Its been dry all winter too but we've had the pram cover up (October to March, April, May).

25 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No, we've got a cruiser stern and the engine bay bilge was dry all summer -exept when it went for blacking and the water jetting must have overwhelmed the drainage system. There is a channel with 4 drain holes all around the 'hole' so all water drains away. It is very dry. Its been dry all winter too but we've had the pram cover up (October to March, April, May).

Yeah - but that's cheatin'  !

And I aint got one of they anyway.  Nor do I want one - 'orrible claustrophobic things!:glare:

Then you will need to sort out the drainage channels under your decking. But you need to get rid of the water in the bilge as this will keep getting condensation on your deck boards.

Edited by F DRAYKE
To add last sentence.

3 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Yeah - but that's cheatin'  !

And I aint got one of they anyway.  Nor do I want one - 'orrible claustrophobic things!:glare:

...but it was totally dry in summer when pram hood not in use. There is a channel all the way around the engine hole, under the boards and as long as the 4 drain holes are kept clean, it never gets water inside.