Tuel Lane Lock - Calder & Hebble

Nick D

Featured Posts

I think I have read somewhere that it's necessary to book a passage through this lock with the CaRT, but I can't see anything on their website nor does it get a mention in Nicholson's.  Am I imagining it?

I overnighted just below lock one, phoned the lockie next morning and they came down and worked me through to the deep lock.  Think they were volunteers, very helpful anyway.

15 minutes ago, andy3196 said:

Thanks Andy, I couldn't find this info on the CaRT website, so thanks for the posting, probably because I was searching under the Calder & Hebble rather than the Rochdale as MHS helpfully pointed out!

4 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Thanks Andy, I couldn't find this info on the CaRT website, so thanks for the posting, probably because I was searching under the Calder & Hebble rather than the Rochdale as MHS helpfully pointed out!

Hope you enjoy it. I haven’t passed through the lock, but have watched a boat through it whilst out on a walk. It is very spectacular. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

Hope you enjoy it. I haven’t passed through the lock, but have watched a boat through it whilst out on a walk. It is very spectacular. 

Yes, it's an experience.  I looped my centre rope round one of the riser cables and kept hold of the free end, seemed to work well.  Wore a life jacket as it was obvious there would be plenty of turbulence.

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

Yes, it's an experience.  I looped my centre rope round one of the riser cables and kept hold of the free end, seemed to work well.  Wore a life jacket as it was obvious there would be plenty of turbulence.

Taking Fulbourne through Tuel Lane.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

13 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Taking Fulbourne through Tuel Lane.

Tim

To save water, they normally only use the inner set of bottom gates for boats under about 60 ft long. This means that the outer gates, used in the video, spend most of the time with air both sides, and so they have dried out and leak like a sieve. The video doesn't show how much water was pouring through them on that occasion.  

I'd rather like to take a very short boat through, using only the two pairs of bottom gates.

I did it going uphill in December 2015 as crew for Emerald Fox, formerly of this forum. In fact he had to be somewhere else that day, so he left me to it (rather bravely because he'd just met me and I didn't have a lot of steering experience back then!) and I went up single handed. But the CRT guy was very helpful, and crucially made sure I had the centre line round the riser and a good grip on it, or I'd have been thrown about all over the place by the incoming water; it comes in quickly all along one side of the lock.

Yes, the three locks in Sowerby Bridge are the start of the Rochdale Canal, and you do need to book passage with CRT, at least out of season like we were. It being the deepest lock in the country, they don't allow user operation.

On 3/26/2018 at 22:24, NB Esk said:

I remember there being very little turbulence  or surprisingly little, The lockie opened paddles on one side when we were coming up alone, there are outlets all along the lock so it gently held us against the wall as we came up ..... much, much, much less turbulence than most of the other Rochdale locks

1 hour ago, NickF said:

I remember there being very little turbulence  or surprisingly little, The lockie opened paddles on one side when we were coming up alone, there are outlets all along the lock so it gently held us against the wall as we came up ..... much, much, much less turbulence than most of the other Rochdale locks

Possibly down to the lockie?  As Peter Xs post above, quite a bit of turbulence but certainly not enough to put anyone off.

3 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Possibly down to the lockie?  As Peter Xs post above, quite a bit of turbulence but certainly not enough to put anyone off.

I guess you are right, he did bring us up very slowly.

• Haha 1

On 26/03/2018 at 19:37, Nick D said:

I think I have read somewhere that it's necessary to book a passage through this lock with the CaRT, but I can't see anything on their website nor does it get a mention in Nicholson's.  Am I imagining it?

Nicholson Book 5 North West & the Pennines – page 197