House boat for rent

john12345

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, john12345 said:

Pump out is part of the mooring infrastructure

Boatlord paying all excluding electricity, diesel and council tax

Which leads on to another question then, to which you should seek an answer.

Does the landlord know the boatlord is subletting the mooring to you and approve the deal?

8 minutes ago, Marshian said:

True enough, but that boat's rent is comparable with 2 bed flats in the area, it's not 3x the rent

https://www.openrent.co.uk/property-to-rent/london/1-bed-house-boat-new-wharf-road-n1/297054  rent for boat 1200 per month

rent in area minimum 600 per week...

brendford rent for 2 bed 1350 per month

boat 1290 per month

Edited by john12345

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Interesting. Do you remember how much it was going for?

There was a small sign attached to the post saying 'Mooring for sale' with a mobile number. I tried calling but nobody answered.

8 hours ago, john12345 said:

1 bed :1100-1200

2 bed :1200-1350

From your first estimate of rent levels in the area, I would say that the boat is comparable

6 minutes ago, john12345 said:

brendford rent for 2 bed 1350 per month

boat 1290 per month

2 minutes ago, john12345 said:

do you mean mooring administrator?

No. Somebody owns the bank. They may or may not be the same person who owns the boat. I suggest you find out as if they are two different people the boat owner will be renting the mooring spot.

Then if the owner of the mooring spot discovers you are renting the boat without their permission, they may or may not throw a wobbly and chuck you/you and the boat off the mooring. Best to clarify in advance.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No. Somebody owns the bank. They may or may not be the same person who owns the boat. I suggest you find out as if they are two different people the boat owner will be renting the mooring spot.

Then if the owner of the mooring spot discovers you are renting the boat without their permission, they may or may not throw a wobbly and chuck you/you and the boat off the mooring. Best to clarify in advance.

looks like you panicking to much, in agreement I have a list of extra payments (electricity etc), so boat owner should be responsible for any other payments, not me 

1 minute ago, john12345 said:

looks like you panicking to much, in agreement I have a list of extra payments (electricity etc), so boat owner should be responsible for any other payments, not me 

I'm not panicking. As long term landlord myself I can foresee potential difficulties you obviously can't. 

It's not the payments I'm concerned about, it is you getting made unintentionally homeless on the whim of the mooring owner, should he take against the arrangements.

Your call though, it will probably be fine. But if it isn't fine, it could turn out to be a disaster for you. Bear in mind you'll be getting none of the rights and protections you're legally entitled to as a tenant of a house or flat. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not panicking. As long term landlord myself I can foresee potential difficulties you obviously can't. 

It's not the payments I'm concerned about, it is you getting made unintentionally homeless on the whim of the mooring owner, should he take against the arrangements.

Your call though, it will probably be fine. But if it isn't fine, it could turn out to be a disaster for you. Bear in mind you'll be getting none of the rights and protections you're legally entitled to as a tenant of a house or flat. 

thx

11 minutes ago, john12345 said:

But if the owner of the bank says "No subletting. Full stop." And evicts the boat owner from the mooring, what are you going to do?

Just now, David Mack said:

But if the owner of the bank says "No subletting. Full stop." And evicts the boat owner from the mooring, what are you going to do?

thx for advice. yeh I will sort this out if..., but for now it's simple overpriced for me, quality of interiors, facilities inside and location is not worth 1290

55 minutes ago, Marshian said:

Can't agree that cost of a rental property is a major determinant of the rent charged - it's determined by rent levels in the area.  If you bought a property 20 years ago, would you charge a rent that was current at that time?  I wouldn't.

I have already explained that. Please see the second part of post no. 46.

41 minutes ago, Marshian said:

Waterlord?

If it was a time-share property, would he be a timelord?

20 minutes ago, john12345 said:

Have you read this: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/getting-afloat/renting-a-boat-to-live-on

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, john12345 said:

Hi All,

I'm looking for houseboat for rent in west london, is this one worth £1290 a month?

https://www.openrent.co.uk/property-to-rent/brentford/2-bed-house-boat-ham-wharf-tw8/353652

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/46814321#e7cbYeFMmW16LSmw.97

thanks for help

I wouldnt pay £290 a month to live in London.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Are you floating today mrsmelly?Its been a beautiful day for boating.

:P As well you know we are still int dock!! However tis completed and seeing as my genius brain docked us for the only two sunny days this SUMMER so far the paint has gone on and off very well. Hope to find somewhere to tie up before stupid weekend coming up :cheers:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Athy said:

No mistake at all. We were talking about establishing the level of the rent, i.e. when the property is first put on the rental market, not about reviewing or raising it, which comes later.

I have already explained that. Please see the second part of post no. 46

I think the distinction is artificial.  Whenever I've offered an empty property at an initial rent, or raised the rent for the current tenant, rents charged within the local rental market would be the sole determining factor.  If the costs of the property aren't covered by rent based on that criterion, then I'm in the wrong business!

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Ha!  It's well overfull even without Smellys' 70ft.

True - I don't boat in London.  My boat's a chance to get out of London to the sticks.  I keep forgetting what those big, flat green things are - oh yes, that's it, fields...

Nice to get away to the sticks, but I wouldn't want to live there