Is it permissable to moor within the flight at Atherstone Locks?

Jonkx

Featured Posts

I expect to get shot down, so sorry for asking, but having gone past on the train a few times and seen boats that appear to be moored in the occasional longer spaces between locks on this flight, I'd ask, is this permissable? ie acceptable, within CRT rules and an okay thing to do? 

If not, I won't. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Jon 

In general on the longer pounds within a flight, which at Atherstone means below locks 5, 7 and 9, it's reasonable to moor provided that you're not on the lock landing or obstructing some facility like a water point.

However there's a bit more risk than there would be on a long pound of a canal of waking up to find the boat listing, sitting on the mud, as happened to us below lock 16 of the Wolverhampton 21 last year. All it takes is a leaky gate somewhere and the level of a pound can be quite low by the morning. Cooking breakfast safely with the galley at about 10 degrees from normal was a bit of a challenge.

Whilst mooring in a sufficiently long enough pound is probably perfectly ok if your on the move late in the day and it falls as a sensible stop to overnight, there are far better places to moor for 48hrs or more as your post seems to suggest. Imho, the space in pounds is better left for boats to pass or, in the case of long pounds on long flights, pull over for a break, etc. 

Good on you for making the effort to find out Jonkx.