Hatch in tug deck.

Featured Posts

Hello, we have just purchased a very traditional looking tug and our first project is to put extra berths under the tug deck. We are going to fabricate a hatch in the tug deck but would also like to let some natural light in. Have looked at the modern Houdini hatches but with the curve of the deck and it not in keeping with the looks of the boat are putting us off.  We've also thought about a steel hatch with a porthole in it? Has anyone one suggestions,ideas or recommendations of what's available?  Many Thanks

What is the purpose of the hatch? I've seen a few tugs with deck hatches but these are usually used to chuck junk doen into the space below. You don't need a hatch to let light in. In fact a porthole or light over a bed is a really bad idea. DAMHIK!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is the purpose of the hatch? I've seen a few tugs with deck hatches but these are usually used to chuck junk doen into the space below. You don't need a hatch to let light in. In fact a porthole or light over a bed is a really bad idea. DAMHIK!

On cold nights, just another area to condense the water in your breath and then drip back down onto you / your bedding.

And, why do you need light in bed anyway, don't you know where 'everything' is ?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

On cold nights, just another area to condense the water in your breath and then drip back down onto you / your bedding.

Exactly. Looks like Alan too has spent a night being woken up every 30 mins by a drip of cold water straight into the earhole!

36 minutes ago, Georgian star said:

Hello, we have just purchased a very traditional looking tug and our first project is to put extra berths under the tug deck. We are going to fabricate a hatch in the tug deck but would also like to let some natural light in. Have looked at the modern Houdini hatches but with the curve of the deck and it not in keeping with the looks of the boat are putting us off.  We've also thought about a steel hatch with a porthole in it? Has anyone one suggestions,ideas or recommendations of what's available?  Many Thanks

Why not ask the guys at Stowe Hill what to do - after all you wouldn't want to let just anyone loose on such a great boat - are you also going to alter the kitchen layout to make it work or just get in through the cup'ds and or the new hatch

I trust you have joined the Russell Newbery Register as well.

Dave at Granthams Bridge (who also owns RN) might be able to help with the hatch thoughts/job as well he is VERY knowledgeable and a boater! 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is the purpose of the hatch? 

I should think that, if you have a bedroom under the deck, it's essential to have a fire escape. Imagine if the saloon catches fire and you're under the tug deck with no means of egress. 

I have never understood why anyone would want to sleep under a tug deck: sit up in bed too fast and you risk banging your head, getting in and out of the space can’t be easy, condensation, with or without a glass hatch to concentrate it all and drip it everywhere.

Tugs look lovely but I never really want one, it seems to me to be a triumph of form over function.

36 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I have never understood why anyone would want to sleep under a tug deck: sit up in bed too fast and you risk banging your head, getting in and out of the space can’t be easy, condensation, with or without a glass hatch to concentrate it all and drip it everywhere.

Tugs look lovely but I never really want one, it seems to me to be a triumph of form over function.

I very much liked the under-deck bedroom on Emerald (the tug which keeps being sold). It has a clerestory, looking from the outside like a small forecabin, which enables you to sit up in bed. I know, I tried it when we viewed the boat a few years ago.

Thanks for everyone's replies, ditchcrawler thanks for the link i'll have a look and see what's on offer.  Alan de Enfield, we need some natural light for during the day as its a bedroom for the teenagers at night and a snug for them during the day! Athy, yes the purpose of putting the hatch in, is for a means of escape if required plus the benefit of natural light during the day. Stilllearning, under the tug is for the kids to sleep and a good little space out of the way to lounge during the day, each to their own I guess, it would be a boring world if we were all the same. Halsey, that's the type of thing we had in mind but to ideally incorporate some day light. I'm guessing you've seen Georgian star in her previous adventures? Not planning on changing the kitchen layout so have a couple of way to access the tug deck. 

Many thanks.

Ive put a bedroom under my tug deck... its superking... i think it would be great for teenagers ... i fitted a bronze opening window that opens from the inside..fire escape ...see the stars in summer. have yet to add a secondary glazed surround which is the plan.....then no drip in winter issues.....not sure how to send a phone pic just yet... 

Too many mb on the attatchment...

3 minutes ago, jimbob01 said:

Ive put a bedroom under my tug deck... its superking... i think it would be great for teenagers ... i fitted a bronze opening window that opens from the inside..fire escape ...see the stars in summer. have yet to add a secondary glazed surround which is the plan.....then no drip in winter issues.....not sure how to send a phone pic just yet... 

Too many mb on the attatchment...

That's good to hear as that sounds just like what we are aiming to achieve. Pics would be great to see if you can find a way round it. 

Somewhere I've seen a boat with steel hatches in the tug deck fitted with round brass portholes and bullseye glass, much as it fitted in the roof of a traditional back cabin.

You can also get circular glass prisms which are a similar shape to a lemon squeezer. They are supposed to let more light in, but you wouldn't want one in a low headroom situation where it could do you a nasty injury.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Somewhere I've seen a boat with steel hatches in the tug deck fitted with round brass portholes and bullseye glass, much as it fitted in the roof of a traditional back cabin.

If I'm visualising them correctly, they sound really great for tripping over.

39 minutes ago, Georgian star said:

we need some natural light for during the day as its a bedroom for the teenagers at night and a snug for them during the day!

That'll be fine then - in my experience teenagers seem to spend a lot of time in the prone position so 'head-room' not needed.

1 hour ago, Georgian star said:

Thanks for everyone's replies, ditchcrawler thanks for the link i'll have a look and see what's on offer.  Alan de Enfield, we need some natural light for during the day as its a bedroom for the teenagers at night and a snug for them during the day! Athy, yes the purpose of putting the hatch in, is for a means of escape if required plus the benefit of natural light during the day. Stilllearning, under the tug is for the kids to sleep and a good little space out of the way to lounge during the day, each to their own I guess, it would be a boring world if we were all the same. Halsey, that's the type of thing we had in mind but to ideally incorporate some day light. I'm guessing you've seen Georgian star in her previous adventures? Not planning on changing the kitchen layout so have a couple of way to access the tug deck. 

Many thanks.

What you could do with that arrangement is put a second skin inside the hatch to allow light in when wanted and block it out when not - if done well you wouldn't get condensation.

We have a 'pigeon box' wooden thing over our bed, Its not that close to our noses but those 4 over centre catches are there so that you can release the whole thing and escape. It is glass recessed into the frame and  then on the outside there are pieces of 6mm polycarbonate sealed down onto thin foam tape, it does not drip and if you tripped on deck you could not put your hand or any other bits through it as the poly is very tough.

1980-01-01 00.00.33-2.jpg

2008-07-16 04.35.57.jpg

Hi georgianstar  the hatches were from a 1950/60s passenger liner... i bought quite a few as i wanted them as windows.

Try trinity marine...

I may have one in storage somewhere ^_^

Let me know if u get stuck...

1520096297384159331944.jpg

14 hours ago, jimbob01 said:

Hi georgianstar  the hatches were from a 1950/60s passenger liner... i bought quite a few as i wanted them as windows.

Try trinity marine...

I may have one in storage somewhere ^_^

Let me know if u get stuck...

1520096297384159331944.jpg

Try stokeboats they built a boat called larah with "windows" like this