The stern line

MtB

Featured Posts

Isn't this like the 'a swan's wing can break your arm' line? Has anyone ever met anyone whose line HAS fallen off the tiller pin AND wrapped itself round the prop? Personally, I tie the rope to the tiller with my red and white spotted scarf...

Isn't this like the 'a swan's wing can break your arm' line? Has anyone ever met anyone whose line HAS fallen off the tiller pin AND wrapped itself round the prop? Personally, I tie the rope to the tiller with my red and white spotted scarf...

In my early boating days I dropped the stern line over the arse-end and it got wrapped around the prop. It had not been hung on the tiller pin, someone left it dangling and I never noticed.

That boat had a weed hatch for which you needed three elbows in each five-foot long arm. Not being a mutant gorilla I had a wee bit o' bother...

Needless to say, I am very careful about the stern line now!

Ian

Ive got the sternline round the prop, two years ago at the bottom of the T&M.

- Unfortunatly i was trying to moor at the time, so having the rope coiled on the roof wouldnt have helped.

- Fortuantly however, the water is clear and the bottom hard. So over we went in boilers suits with a knife.

Daniel

And then cover it with your Bowler hat??? :)

Yep, guy who owned Clee, wrapped it so fast round the prop that both of us in the water couldn't get it off. I had to leave him and he said was he was going to use Whilton marina's slipway to sort it. What he actually did was drag the boat back into the lock, hung the back end up on the cill and stood on the cill to hack the rope off. Two foolish stunts in one day.

Another possible way would be to uncouple the tailshaft and slide it out a bit to free the rope up by increasing the distance between stern tube and propeller and make removal of the rope easier. Depends on the driveshaft coupling type of course it may be too much agro.

Its really just basic good seamanship. Ropes are notorious for doing their own thing, Who was it said " the sheer malice of inanimate objects"? A rope round the prop aint too much of a worry on a non moving waterway, on a river near a weir though is another matter. Good practice is for ropes and sheets to be neatly coiled out of the way ready for when you need them. If that means neatly coiled hanging off the tiller pin or on the stern or on the roof then thats upto the individual skipper. Its the skippers responsibility to be aware of the dangers where ever she/he stows the coil. On most boats unless there is a dedicated rope locker then there is going to be a danger of stuff getting tripped on or knocked overboard.

so you pays ya money an takes ya choice.

Isn't this like the 'a swan's wing can break your arm' line? Has anyone ever met anyone whose line HAS fallen off the tiller pin AND wrapped itself round the prop?

Yes.

I saw it happen to somebody at Wheelock a couple of weeks ago.

• 1 month later...

:(

Not being nylon I assume it floats :)

So all those worried about 'the rope' going round the prop - don't worry; spend less money and buy the right rope :smiley_offtopic:

if its safe does it matter were the rope is we have a criuser whitch has uprights for the rail and no bollards so the rope is perminently attached one each side with two hooks under the bench