The stern line

MtB

Featured Posts

Unattached, but held in one hand ....

Ive actually seen someone do that recently, most amusing.

- They guy they throw it two caught it, and gave it a blood good yank!

- Pridictable results, with the boat still in gear sailing off all alone into another.

Daniel

Why is everybody using expensive nylon rope on relatively short stern mooring lines.

Nylon rope stretches and sinks; therefore should be used for anchoring. Nylon is used on yachts mooring lines to reduce some of the strain from big swells etc .and are normally at least twice the length of the boat.

We're not at sea here we're on the cut. If use the much cheaper polypropylene rope it floats and would be real difficult to get around the prop going ahead or astern.

Mind you, nylon rope is softer and more gentle on the hands. But, for those users with soft hands you could always buy Marigolds to go with your polyprop. :cheers:

I always think that a stern line hanging over the tiller pin looks untidy but we do it from time to time when and where it proves more convenient. Generally while cruising we keep it coiled on the hatch cover - it seems like the natural place to keep it . . .

Staplespun polypropylene is the RIGHT ROPE for narrowboats. Before someone says 'oh yes that cheap blue stuff' NO!!. That is split film polyprop and is a bit more than half as strong as the white hairy staplespun stuff. Thames tugs use it and they are inland workboats. Cheap as chips too. It does hurt some ladies' hands that includes my mum who uses 'hardy hemp' polyprop as its softer.

Staplespun polypropylene is the RIGHT ROPE for narrowboats. Before someone says 'oh yes that cheap blue stuff' NO!!. That is split film polyprop and is a bit more than half as strong as the white hairy staplespun stuff. Thames tugs use it and they are inland workboats. Cheap as chips too. It does hurt some ladies' hands that includes my mum who uses 'hardy hemp' polyprop as its softer.

Not being nylon I assume it floats :help:

So all those worried about 'the rope' going round the prop - don't worry; spend less money and buy the right rope :cheers:

Where do you get your hemp? I meant to add that polyprop is the natural modern replacement for hemp (like steel replacing wood in narrowboat construction) but don't try polypropylene in a bong.

Unattached, but held in one hand ....

What, and then you just try to hang onto it and stay on the boat as someone pulls you in?

Why is everybody using expensive nylon rope on relatively short stern mooring lines.

If use the much cheaper polypropylene rope it floats and would be real difficult to get around the prop going ahead or astern.

PP goes brittle fairly quickly and is more subject to the effects of UV than other polymers, I use polyester which abrades more quickly. You pays your money, you takes your choice...

Our bow/stearn ropes (warps?) are polyester, 22mm, 3-strand, white.

- They dont float, and they are a lot stronger than they need to be, or maybe even should be.

- But there good to handle, behave well, and dont shred my summer-boater hands!

The centerline is some 10yo rought-as-a-badgers-bum stuff, horrable to handle, but there we go.

Daniel

The advice given to me was to completely remove the stern line when underway, and leave it on the hatch cover. That way, it'll not fall down to the prop, it's not a trip hazzard, it's somewhere to rest your cup of coffee to not mark the paintwork and (more important than the coffee bit) it means that there's a rope very handy in case you need to throw a line to someone.

Sound advice, if you ask me.

Likewise. I was told by a boatmen ( real one - no trilby , no bowler , just born on the boats and worked them all his active life ) to keep the "stern" line coiled on the cabin top. Up there within easy reach it`s out of the way , it can`t be a trip hazard , it`s readily available in unforeseen circumstances , it can be quickly slipped over whichever of the dollies is most appropriate at need , it`s easier to throw, it can`t get in the prop, and it`s a damn sight tidier. No contest really.

Cheers

Phil

S'funny...it hadn't been invented when my narrowboat was built.

Hemp for me ta.

Not as sexy as cable laid cotton............

Cheers

Phil

Our favourite hire boat (Devon, from Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge) came equipped with a lifebuoy hanging on a large U-shaped hook welded halfway down the tiller arm. We simply placed the lifebouy on top of the sliding hatch, within easy reach, and used the hook to coil and hang our stern rope on. No problems with tripping over it, no danger of it fouling the prop, it was always within handy reach, and simple to change from one dollie to the other as and when required.

Janet

I keep my stern lines attached & in place on the deck. Since I move my boat single-handed I need to be at the tiller and I don't want to have to mess around putting ropes over cleats while I should be watching what I'm doing, especially with close quarters manouvers near other boats for example. My boat is 12' wide and has a square stern which is about 11' wide at it's narrowest at the end, so I have 2 stern lines which are on the deck behind the bench so they can't get kicked off. Even if they did get knocked off, they're at least 5' away from the prop, so in my case I don't see a problem.

This sounds like another thread on the use of bow thrusters.

The fact that you all do different things and get away with it probably suggests

that it doesn't easily matter.

Those who remove the lines aren't "getting away with anything. I can drop a rope onto the dolly in plenty of time in any circumstance.

Those who take the chance of tangling with the prop are the ones who get away with it!

Personally, I like my stern lines permanently connected.

I can't be bothered to keep taking them out of storage at each lock and re-connecting them to the dollies.

Odd, it's rare that I use any rope in a lock, and rarer still that I use a stern rope.

!

Odd, it's rare that I use any rope in a lock, and rarer still that I use a stern rope.

You obviously never go on the Thames then!

Bow and stern lines are compulsory, as is stopping the engine. The lock keeper operates the huge (hydraulically powered) paddles/gates and you are expected to keep your boat under control, to the lock keeper's satisfaction, in all that turbulence.

Even if they did get knocked off, they're at least 5' away from the prop, so in my case I don't see a problem.

Well now, that would be why you get away with it then, eh? I'm sure the captain of the ocean going tankers doesn't keep the stern hawser coiled up on the bridge either.

For a narrow beam boat, if you hang the rope on the tiller it is going to be very near the prop. But the deck is small enough to where, even single handed, you'll be ready by a cleat. Grab the rope off the hatch toss an end and secure the lose end, should take you all of ten seconds.

You obviously never go on the Thames then!

Bow and stern lines are compulsory, as is stopping the engine. The lock keeper operates the huge (hydraulically powered) paddles/gates and you are expected to keep your boat under control, to the lock keeper's satisfaction, in all that turbulence.

Quite right, I never go on the thames.

AFAIR, the only place that I've ever used a stern rope is on the Severn.

Not necessarily so.....

There are times when you can rightfully tell the lockie to take a hike.... And I have done so on many occasions..... :cheers:

Ok but for a run-of-the-mill narrowboat, in a run-of-the-mill lock, in run-of-the-mill circumstances, the lockie will insist on all boats having bow and stern lines on bollards and engines stopped before emtying/filling the lock. Arguing about it just leads to a mexican stand-off.

I guess a single-handed helmsman with Bolinder powered 72ft boat would have to be excused on both counts.... but that's a concession as I understand it. Pragmatism on the part of the lockie.

What are the circumstances where you have a right to keep the engine running and not tie up in an Upper Thames lock...?

There are times when you can rightfully tell the lockie to take a hike....

Mmm... I'm not sure if that would be the most appropriate modes of interraction with a Thames lockkeeper - I'm sure it's equally within his remit to tell you to take a hike too! If there are two on duty & you're single handed it might be wiser to ask for assistance by one of them taking a bow or stern rope. I've done that in the past and only once been refused, in which case they can hardly complain if you use a centre rope.

Edited by blackrose

"There are times when you can rightfully tell the lockie to take a hike...."

You have obviously not met a Thames Lockie - at least the older ones still wearing the blazer. Master of all he surveys, you included!

What are the circumstances where you have a right to keep the engine running and not tie up in an Upper Thames lock...?

When you are the only boat in the lock on the engine front, they will often ask but cannot insist you turn it off. I will honour their wish if they ask nicely/say please.....when they 'quote' the rule book at you I tend to dig my heels in.....

Not sure of the actual bylaws but I've found being single handed on a 72 footer makes holding a line at both ends simultaneously somewhat difficult....

I've only ever had the Mexican stand-off the once....and then the temporary relief lockie was in the wrong.... :cheers:

When you are the only boat in the lock on the engine front, they will often ask but cannot insist you turn it off. I will honour their wish if they ask nicely/say please.....when they 'quote' the rule book at you I tend to dig my heels in.....

Not sure of the actual bylaws but I've found being single handed on a 72 footer makes holding a line at both ends simultaneously somewhat difficult....

I've only ever had the Mexican stand-off the once....and then the temporary relief lockie was in the wrong.... :cheers:

two ropes is usually enough - the centre line and the stern line.......