Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Lewis

Forth and Clyde Closure

Featured Posts

The original  plan was through the Crinan canal to Oban, I think, but the boat had not been serviced before the trip,so all the fuel tank sludge got churned up and blocked the filter, the fuel was cleaned or removed and new filters fitted, we then met the boat at Holyloch  marina, while they waited on a break in the weather, that's when I talked them out of the trip lol, loch Fyne can be lumpy, but can you imagine nipping up the sound of Luing  in a 5mph barge,with the rip tides and a swell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jokar said:

loch Fyne can be lumpy, but can you imagine nipping up the sound of Luing  in a 5mph barge,with the rip tides and a swell?

To be honest - no, I can't - foolhardy and dangerous.

 

We had 'great fun' around Connel Bridge and the Falls of Lora.

 

The 3rd biggest whirlpool in the world is not far from Oban.

 

Image result for oban whirlpool

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jokar said:

The original  plan was through the Crinan canal to Oban, I think, but the boat had not been serviced before the trip,so all the fuel tank sludge got churned up and blocked the filter, the fuel was cleaned or removed and new filters fitted, we then met the boat at Holyloch  marina, while they waited on a break in the weather, that's when I talked them out of the trip lol, loch Fyne can be lumpy, but can you imagine nipping up the sound of Luing  in a 5mph barge,with the rip tides and a swell?

It is quiet good fun in an ocean going yacht, but a 60ft sewer tube? Mad! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had our sea Otter Gamebird on the firth of Clyde several times when attending events in Glasgow and one in greenock. Every time we were in the company of other boats and were equipped with anchor, VHF etc. In each case we only went in favourable weather conditions and with the knowledge of the MCA. The last time we went to Glasgow was as part of the Commonwealth flotilla when there were 250 boats and we were the only narrow boat. Ah, memories 

Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jokar said:

through the Crinan canal

Silly question time: how in the devil do you get to the Crinan Canal from Bowling?

Seems like that journey might require a quite hefty boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Silly question time: how in the devil do you get to the Crinan Canal from Bowling?

Seems like that journey might require a quite hefty boat.

We took Gamebird on her trailer and launched in the sea at Ardrishaig when we cruised the Crinan - twice. We were told we were the first ever narrow boat to cruise the Crinan although Ocean Princess did it a few weeks later but they came all the way by sea 

Haggis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Bowling down the Clyde and then across Rothesay Bay through the narrows proceeding south down the Kyles of Bute. 

Turn the corner and head west then north up Loch Fyne to Ardishaig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AllanD said:

From Bowling down the Clyde and then across Rothesay Bay through the narrows proceeding south down the Kyles of Bute. 

Turn the corner and head west then north up Loch Fyne to Ardishaig.

Christ. That's a fair old distance. That'd take my wee boat DAYS to get there.

I'm still too new to try that run.

On the subject of routes: is there a good route planner/site for beginner jaunts? Simple, non-lethal, runs would be nice. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ronnie,  I have chart plotters and charts on board, but coming into unknown to me waters ie now at the Caledonian  canal, I made good use of my tablet and the navionics  app, where with my plotters I'd need to input way points., the navionics app let's you put in a start and end and works out a suitable  route based on your boat data,  very good when faced with islands everywhere in front of you. Oh and your boats not too small in the right weather, but can be lethal in the wrong weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The barge would have did fine in flat calm water going with the tide, ut I'd not be so keen if it was anything but a perfect day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jokar said:

Ronnie,  I have chart plotters and charts on board, but coming into unknown to me waters ie now at the Caledonian  canal, I made good use of my tablet and the navionics  app, where with my plotters I'd need to input way points., the navionics app let's you put in a start and end and works out a suitable  route based on your boat data,  very good when faced with islands everywhere in front of you. Oh and your boats not too small in the right weather, but can be lethal in the wrong weather.

I have a good Imray chart of the coastal areas and know the basics of map navigation, but (as you hinted at) I'm just not sure of the limitations of my boat and the waters I should/shouldn't be in.

 

Oh, and I'll have a look into the Navionics app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jokar, enjoy your time on the Caledonian Canal. I was there last week and it was totally different from any inland boating I have experienced. The secret, I believe is to set your body clock to "Highland Time", sit back and relax. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ronnie, I've struggled through walls of water between Greenock and Dunoon, it's all about common sense and planning. One day we went to Arran and the weather was stunning, and not a ripple on 5he clyde. Then within 2 minutes we were shitting ourselves trying to reach portavadie to get out the incoming weather that lasted 3 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AllanD said:

Hi Jokar, enjoy your time on the Caledonian Canal. I was there last week and it was totally different from any inland boating I have experienced. The secret, I believe is to set your body clock to "Highland Time", sit back and relax. 

HI Allan, starting  the journey  in the morning, certainly  all a different  scale from normal. Can I ask you, how is the route for berthing pontoons etc, we walked to the top of Neptune's staircase there,  and noticed a couple of derelict pontoons, are we best staying over on the canal sections or the lochs, we also want to stay a few days at Drumnadrochit as we have family there, I know there is urquhart bay, but not sure if we can use that or is it a caley cruiser berth area? Any info will bean education 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jokar said:

HI Allan, starting  the journey  in the morning, certainly  all a different  scale from normal. Can I ask you, how is the route for berthing pontoons etc, we walked to the top of Neptune's staircase there,  and noticed a couple of derelict pontoons, are we best staying over on the canal sections or the lochs, we also want to stay a few days at Drumnadrochit as we have family there, I know there is urquhart bay, but not sure if we can use that or is it a caley cruiser berth area? Any info will bean education 

There is no shortage of moorings, just not always where you want them.

Everything, moorings, charts, locks are detailed in the guide :

 

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/60326-BW-Scottish-Canals-Caledonian-Skipper-Guide-WEB.pdf

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jokar, we got our boat from Le Boat at Laggan and we're given the cruise map which would appear to be that one from Caley Cruisers. You can download it from the internet. 

The charts show all the navigation buoys and approaches you will need. There are no mooring fees for hire craft at Urquhart Harbour but I believe that private craft need to pay the £10 fee for 24hrs.

Vistor moorings are shown on the chart indicating facilities such shore power, toilets etc. 

Anything else I can help you with, just let me know. 

Enjoy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AllanD said:

From Bowling down the Clyde and then across Rothesay Bay through the narrows proceeding south down the Kyles of Bute. 

Turn the corner and head west then north up Loch Fyne to Ardishaig.

 I'v sailed that many times, and one needs to be clear about navigating the Kyle of Bute narrows [check bouyage], sharp turns may be involved, it would be OK in under F2, but one can encounter a few F4 gusts up L Fyne if the inland forecast is above F3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to cruise the Clyde with the RNXS in the late 70's and early 80's. Loch Goil and Carrick Castle was my favorite location but the trip through the Kyles and up to Inveraray was always spectacular especially in the frosty winter days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question which struck me when looking at Google Maps:

Out of sheer curiosity, how far down the River Clyde is it possible to sail? The damn thing runs for miles winding all the way up, over, and down to Glenochar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.