MIkeyP

Featured Posts

• 5 years later...
12 hours ago, David Mack said:

I take it he didn't offer any useful recipes then!

He, she or it posted a link to a restaurant in Singapore, from what I could gather.  When I looked at the link, it was quickly obscured by other things appearing on the screen - from memory, an advert for Google Chrome. Most odd.

25 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

The butcher round the corner from us makes their own pâtés, sausages, black puddings (including one with chestnuts in), and as they have a smoke house, lovely smoky bacon.

Taisez-vous, j'ai faim!

One of many reasons to visit France: the butchers and charcutiers tend to be proper artisans, rather than buying in pre-packaged meat products as is so often the case in England.

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

I've hated the stuff ever since greasy spam fritters at skool... 😞

They were awesome! You could either eat them combined or pry off the batter with your blunt school cutlery and eat as seperate foods, delicious :icecream:

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

They were awesome! You could either eat them combined or pry off the batter with your blunt school cutlery and eat as seperate foods, delicious :icecream:

If you could get the batter off that easily the cook wasn't doing their job properly, they're supposed to be indestructible...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you could get the batter off that easily the cook wasn't doing their job properly, they're supposed to be indestructible...

You were obviously a weak and sickly child, i bet you couldn't crack the old chocolate concrete either could you? :D 

I went to a small village school with about 40kids total, the kitchen staff were all lovely local ladies who knew their craft, nothing was inedible ;) 

16 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

They made sure that your school cutlery was blunt? Rough place, 'uddersfield.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Taisez-vous, j'ai faim!

One of many reasons to visit France: the butchers and charcutiers tend to be proper artisans, rather than buying in pre-packaged meat products as is so often the case in England.

AND the boulangeries! 

On our holidays in northern France we used to buy from the local boulangerie a truly vast crusty white "country loaf" first thing in the morning and eat the whole thing for breakfast. They had a massively open and airy 'crumb' inside and a slice an inch thick was not enough, two or three slices each, toasted with butter was necessary. The whole loaf was usually about 2ft 6in long and a foot wide but weighed only about 2lb. 

Do you recognise this description? I ask as I can find no reference at all to these wonderful loaves on the internet, and I want to make them myself! 

17 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

You were obviously a weak and sickly child, i bet you couldn't crack the old chocolate concrete either could you? :D 

I went to a small village school with about 40kids total, the kitchen staff were all lovely local ladies who knew their craft, nothing was inedible ;) 

Hmm, is "cracking the chocolate concrete" a euphemism?

I was of course exaggerating -- the food was actually pretty good (except for spam fritters, obvs...) at my school, but I have to say that 'cos my aunt was the head cook 😉

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, MtB said:

They fed you cooked heads?!?!?!

This was in Pontefract... 😉

(and we did of course get babies' heads occasionally as a treat...)

Edited by IanD