Fridge/ Freezers 12 volt. and Inverter for washer.

canals are us?

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Mrs Bob wanted a colour coordinated kitchen for the re-fit and although I tried to play the energy efficiency card, you can guess who won. The kitchen does look good though.

The 'shiny' bit helps.

I am worried now Doctor when I see you type the word " shiney " you do not polish your boat do you!! or even more damningly THE BRASS :o

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You would have to have a huge alternator on the domestic bank to run the heaters on an auto washing machine and charge the domestic bank at the same time. The real beauty of the TP is that it gives u 3.5 kva of power which is more than most fitted inverters and at the same time the domestic alternater is using its capacity to charge the battery bank and you can do this say first thing in the morning with batteries down at 12.2 or whatever. If you put a washing machine on when batts down at 12.2 the alternator is screaming to to do both jobs at the same time and the batteries can be unhappy. Stand alone gennie is best but that needs two engines running one for propulsion and one for leccy. TP does it all whilst moving or indeed whilst moored up. For me its a no brainer, others do as they wish.

Unless you use all the 3.5kva for a long period of time then you don't really need a large alternator as the battery will power the times when the alternator can't do the full load.   Washing machines and the like only really need the full power for short periods of time when heating the water.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Unless you use all the 3.5kva for a long period of time then you don't really need a large alternator as the battery will power the times when the alternator can't do the full load.   Washing machines and the like only really need the full power for short periods of time when heating the water.

Tumble drier/vacuum cleaner etc etc. Whilst liveaboards we are not cavemen. Fact is Ive done it all with separate setups and by far the best way we have found is with the TP. You don't have to buy one just sayin like. Lets give a typical for instance. We set off 10 am to move for a steady three hours that day. Tp does washing machine then tumble drier ironing etc etc etc all of which takes around the three hours up. During this three hours we have moved, got tank of hot water and as the domestic alternator has been solely utilised for domestic battery bank the batteries are all but charged wheras if all that time the inverter had been powering the items there would have been nowt to put into the batteries. Do the sums Ive done it the other way and it aint as good.

21 hours ago, canals are us? said:

What power does a victron use in standby?

Back to the OP's question in an earlier post as quoted above:

I checked the specs in the book for the Victron Multiplus that I have.

Assuming a fully charged battery say 12.6V

No load (default setting): 15W This equates to 1.1A

No load AES enabled (automatic energy saving): 10W This equates to 0.79A

No load Search Mode (inverter switches off but check for load every 2 seconds): 4W This equates to 0.32A

So even in default state, the current draw is small. These are the manufacturers figures. It will be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually measured them.

Stephen

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

You would have to have a huge alternator on the domestic bank to run the heaters on an auto washing machine and charge the domestic bank at the same time. The real beauty of the TP is that it gives u 3.5 kva of power which is more than most fitted inverters and at the same time the domestic alternater is using its capacity to charge the battts on a hot filn batts down at 12.2 the alternator is screaming to to do both jobs at the same time and the batteries can be unhappy. Stand alone gennie is best but that needs two engines running one for propulsion and one for leccy. TP does it all whilst moving or indeed whilst moored up. For me its a no brainer, others do as they wish.

Dishwasher uses lots of lecce but thats on a hot fill, washer hardly heats at all and only once so its not an issue really. Solar panels do their stuff so I can do weeks without running engine if I want but you are right horses for courses

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Mrs Bob doesnt like doing the ironing. Maybe I need a TP? Does it clean the floors as well?

If Mrs Bob doesn't like ironing perhaps you should do as we do and use a tumble dryer.  Clothes come out wrinkle free and only need folding and putting away.

Phil 

• Happy 1

How many of you have actually tried to test the difference between using hot washes and cold washes?  With modern fabrics and detergents and the propensity these days to have a shower/bath more than once per year, do we really need hot (clothes) washes anymore?

9 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

How many of you have actually tried to test the difference between using hot washes and cold washes?  With modern fabrics and detergents and the propensity these days to have a shower/bath more than once per year, do we really need hot (clothes) washes anymore?

Though spoken partly in jest it is true how we have changed habits over the years. As youngsters before we had a bathroom we used to get bathed in the kitchen sink with parents using a tin bath about once a week. We had a bathroom extension built on when I was at junior school with an INSIDE WATER closet and a bath!! Still we non of use used it daily there simply wouldn't have been the hot water. When I joined the RN in 1973 everybody showered at least once every day and I have ever since as does the missus. I don't think we all stank years ago but would never go off the boat now without my morning shower and in summer usualy early evening one also, weird innitt.

I run my very compact 7Kg Candy GOFS bought from Tesco wmc on cold wash with the engine running (175A domestic alt) through a Victron 1800/70 inverter and so far the results seem ok.  If anything got very heavily soiled I'd give it a long wash or wash it twice or take it to a laundrette as seemed convenient.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

We keep our coal in the bath.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:31, Stephen Jeavons said:

Back to the OP's question in an earlier post as quoted above:

I checked the specs in the book for the Victron Multiplus that I have.

Assuming a fully charged battery say 12.6V

No load (default setting): 15W This equates to 1.1A

No load AES enabled (automatic energy saving): 10W This equates to 0.79A

No load Search Mode (inverter switches off but check for load every 2 seconds): 4W This equates to 0.32A

So even in default state, the current draw is small. These are the manufacturers figures. It will be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually measured them.

Stephen

Sorry for not replying yesterday but working in Brum and visiting family for dinner. Thanks Stephen and all of you for your replies.

I defrosted my 12 volt fridge freezer overnight as it was on 4.5 temp dial setting from summer and was even freezing water bottles stored on the top shelf of the fridge and reset the dial to position 2.5 which seems about right temp wise. What fridge temp do you have your fridge at?

It is now running less, so thinking keep it and buy a 12 volt freezer. This way I would only have to Run the inverter and it's associated losses, though small it would seem with the Victron when I'm using the washing machine.

Shortly I'll order the Victron Inverter. I'll have a look at the Nasa BM2 battery monitor, sounds good.

Many Thanks.:cheers: James.

Edited by canals are us?

1 hour ago, canals are us? said:

Sorry for not replying yesterday but working in Brum and visiting family for dinner. Thanks Stephen and all of you for your replies.

I defrosted my 12 volt fridge freezer overnight as it was on 4.5 temp dial setting from summer and was even freezing water bottles stored on the top shelf of the fridge and reset the dial to position 2.5 which seems about right temp wise. What fridge temp do you have your fridge at?

It is now running less, so thinking keep it and buy a 12 volt freezer. This way I would only have to Run the inverter and it's associated losses, though small it would seem with the Victron when I'm using the washing machine.

Shortly I'll order the Victron Inverter. I'll have a look at the Nasa BM2 battery monitor, sounds good.

Many Thanks.:cheers: James.

I have a 12 volt freezer in good running order its a silver one. I practicaly never use it but is switched on at moment as we are in a marina. I am leaving marina in 5 weeks you can buy it then if you want it. £100 got to be a good price.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I have a 12 volt freezer in good running order its a silver one. I practicaly never use it but is switched on at moment as we are in a marina. I am leaving marina in 5 weeks you can buy it then if you want it. £100 got to be a good price.

Hi, sounds great, is it less than 545mm wide? If so could you send me a picture?

Stephen, now turned down to 2!

Many thanks James:cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

27 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

Hi, sounds great, is it less than 545mm wide? If so could you send me a picture?

Stephen, now turned down to 2!

Many thanks James:cheers:

Not mint but good used condition and full working order. 850 high x 500 wide 12 volt danfoss jobby so not a leccy guzzler.

WP_20180125_17_38_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20180125_17_39_54_Pro.jpg

6 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

Consider it sold!

I'll Pm you my phone number. Phone or PM me when you are ready to sell. I'm Midlands based. Are you local, or will you be Midlands way? Not an issue as have car.

Many thanks. James.

In Barton turns marina at present leaving end of February. Come and have a look then decide. :cheers: