British Waterways hire boats on Union Canal in Scotland?

Joseph

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

Well, its Hogmanay, but as Andy Stewart and the White Heather Club don't seem to be on (and what would New Year be without them?), my thoughts are turning to Scotland and one of the more obscure developments in pleasure hire boating. 

It may be that I have overlooked relevant materials for this query, but my understanding is that for a short time in the early 1960s British Waterways offered hire boats on the Edinburgh & Glasgow Union Canal, before that Canal's closure in 1965, now happily reversed. 

Does or did anyone know anyone who took a trip on one of these boats, and would have further details? My understanding is that the canal was only navigable from outside Edinburgh to near Falkirk Tunnel - I think there was an inoperable swing bridge near the Tunnel.

Might anyone have some memories of this, or memories from someone who actually made a trip on this Canal in a BW hire boat?  

Right, back to the New Year celebrations, without Mr Stewart!!

Have a good 2018, everyone.

Joseph  

I was not familiar with the canal prior to the 1980s, but it was closed when the M8 motorway was built, which fits the 1965(ish) date.

When I first got interested in the canal, the Westerhailes stretch had been infilled, and there were blockages at Greendykes Road, Linlithgow (bridges and the "Kettleston Breach") and other culverted bridges further west. The inoperable swing bridge may have been at Redding. It's still inoperable, but fixed open.

I've forwarded a link to Ronnie Rusack, who kept the canal around Ratho open by running a couple of restaurant boats, and was a prime organiser of the annual Drambuie Marathon, which ran from 1975 to 1990 and involved getting small boats from Edinburgh to Glasgow. (small as they had to be carried round/over the numerous obstructions) 

Happy New Year!

I don't think I've ever quite got into Jimmy Shand, sadly, but NYE went quite well. Iain, many thanks, and it would be interesting to know more about the period when the Union Canal had been closed but was reviving. My focus was something more specific - when it was still nominally open, but in very limited used by powered craft - the early 1960s. I don't suppose anyone will have actually hired a boat on the canal then, but they might have known someone who did. It must have all been very short-lived, if at all.

Here's to a fruitful 2018!

Joseph

Blimey, the New Year may be young, but I am getting older! Having checked one source, I find that the BW hiring on the Union Canal was billed for 1959 and 1960, after which the boats were withdrawn. Still very interested if anyone has any clues as to whether these boats were used, and any experiences. 

Happy New Year

Joseph

13 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Blimey, the New Year may be young, but I am getting older! Having checked one source, I find that the BW hiring on the Union Canal was billed for 1959 and 1960, after which the boats were withdrawn. Still very interested if anyone has any clues as to whether these boats were used, and any experiences. 

Happy New Year

Joseph

You've just had me googling Andy flippin Stewart as I used to believe it or not like watching him on occasion on new years eve. Blimey I didn't realise how long ago it was he died!! Someone must be getting old.!!

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You've just had me googling Andy flippin Stewart as I used to believe it or not like watching him on occasion on new years eve. Blimey I didn't realise how long ago it was he died!! Someone must be getting old.!!

Not forgetting Moira Anderson. They were stalwarts of NYE in the era before Jools Holland.

• Happy 1

From Photos in the RCHS Collection there are images that date from the 1950's and 1970'a that show much of the canal in water.  The images of 1951 were taken by G C Wheeler and those of the 1970's by M Wheeler. Sadly none of the 1960's

However, Joseph, I would have thought there may be some reference in the Charles Hadfield Collection, which of course you are well aware of.

Edited by Heartland

Joseph,

When I was a nipper we had relations who lived in Radnor Park on Clyde Bank. This would be mid 60's. Near to where this aunt and uncle lived was a section of canal which was very much in water. If I recollect correctly this section of canal was being used by a Singer sewing machine factory to supply cooling water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_Corporation#Singer_in_Scotland

I seem to remember a low road bridge across the cut in this area too. Too low for a boat to go beneath.

At some time some unwanted goldfish were dumped in the canal. Because the water was warmer than that of "normal" canal water the fish had multiplied and grown to good sizes, more like Koi Carp. 

As a year or so later, my uncles employer moved him to Kirkwall we never went back.

Would this be the canal you are interested in?

ETA just looked at Google Earth and found a "Singer Road" in that area. I assume the Singer factory "went years" ago? See Wiki page.

Just found the road they lived in, South View, overlooking the railway. I seem to remember looking to the East to John Brown's ship yard where you could see the QEII being built.

ETA2 Keneth McKeller appeared on the White Heather Club too. Having a Scottish mother the W H C was obligatory.

Edited by Ray T

P J G Ranson, in his 1999 book, Scotland's Inland Waterways, states on page 64: …A laudable attempt by British Waterways to operate two small hire cruisers on the Union Canal in 1959 lasted only two years, for sufficient customers did not appear…

He also says the canal was closed to navigation in 1965, after which it was obstructed by pipe crossings. The Scottish IWA was then formed in 1971, and a restaurant boat, Pride of the Union,  began operating on the canal in 1974.