Honda eu20i starting problems

lesrollins

Featured Posts

This geni runs on tiny (400cc) amount of oil.  You fill it up to the level then start it.  The oil is fed up to the top of the engine, cam and valve gear lowering the level in the base, sump. The sensor reacts and shuts down the engine. Watch the oil light and see it come on, revs drop and light goes out, revs pick up.  Like you say, bad design.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Not heard all this criticism of Honda Gennies before. It's always been good comments.

I wouldn’t call it ‘all this’ criticism. Simply an observation that some gennys need a tad more oil. 

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I was looking at a larger Honda generator on fleabay earlier which states it's made in China. Could this be relevant?

Not all things made in China are poor quality. In fact many good quality products are made there. 

I recall several decades ago people referred to Japanese products  , especially cars , as poor quality. And so they  were for a while - but not so these days .

Honda suitcase generators are highly regarded.

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

I wouldn’t call it ‘all this’ criticism. Simply an observation that some gennys need a tad more oil. 

I'd say a genny that won't run unless the oil level is above the "maximum" marked fill level deserves criticism.

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I would expect you to ;)

Shocking how few companies seem able to calibrate their products properly ;)

I bought two identical digital thermometers recently, from the same seller. Have a guess if they agree with each other....

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Shocking how few companies seem able to calibrate their products properly ;)

I bought two identical digital thermometers recently, from the same seller. Have a guess if they agree with each other....

Try tilting them backwards slightly?

On 29/12/2017 at 12:53, Wrinkley said:

This geni runs on tiny (400cc) amount of oil.  You fill it up to the level then start it.  The oil is fed up to the top of the engine, cam and valve gear lowering the level in the base, sump. The sensor reacts and shuts down the engine. Watch the oil light and see it come on, revs drop and light goes out, revs pick up.  Like you say, bad design.

Our 20+ year old Yamaha genny does exactly this. We use it 4 or more hours daily in winter so keep the oil slightly "overfilled" by tilting back as described by others (it is running on petrol.) I use straight 30 oil as it burns multigrade off rapidly.
Not relevant to the thread, but might help somebody; a good dose of redex fuel system cleaner in the petrol now and again makes it run smoother/start easier (or Fuelset works.)

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say a genny that won't run unless the oil level is above the "maximum" marked fill level deserves criticism.

I have just been out and criticised ours, but being Japanese it failed to understand me.