Microbore for radiators

Stephen Jeavons

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Oh yes, so you did. But that was hours ago and anyway I explained it better:P

Ah yes I forgot. You youngsters no longer read the threads here before posting. Is that considered OK over at chunderboat too? 

:P

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah yes I forgot. You youngsters no longer read the threads here before posting. Is that considered OK over at chunderboat too? 

:P

My problem is that my head is so big and full of clever stuff that sometimes the stuff in there gets lost and I can’t find it!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

The problem is that in order to encourage the flow to go down the 10mm pipes to the rads at the end of the run, you will have to throttle the rads near the boiler by turning down their lock shield valves (ie balancing the system) and so the point of the larger bore pipes to the rads nearer the boiler is somewhat lost. It would have been better if the near rads were in 10mm and the distant ones in 15mm but hey ho, it is what it is!

Throttling down the radiators near the boiler, i.e balancing, only slows down the flow through the radiator. There is still a larger bore pipe through the flow and return to protect the boiler.

5 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Throttling down the radiators near the boiler, i.e balancing, only slows down the flow through the radiator. There is still a larger bore pipe through the flow and return to protect the boiler.

I'm still totally lost as to why the boiler needs 'protecting'. 

Protecting from what, exactly?