jabsco water pump

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, kingswood said:

i have a jabsco water pump 2620-252 and it has screws holding the cover on, want to swap them for bolts/set screws does any one know the size and length  thanks

Can you not remove one, measure it, replace it?

If the pump is American then probably unf, if not then metric. You will need to measure the top diameter and pitch accurately, then allow a small amount on the diameter to identify any screw. If you don't have the equipment to do this go to a local fastener supplier or engineering shop with a sample. The small numbered American sizes are easily confused for metric. Not all small metric sizes are easily obtained. If you are using stainless make sure they are well greased.

The screws do tend to get mashed a bit, especially if the pump is awkwardly placed. 

The Speedseal kit Brian recommended is a really good modification. Since fitting one to Gamebird, I can drain the pump or change the impellor, without taking the oil filter off :D

A fiend had an emergency need due to discovering  the threads damaged on one of the screws.

I had some A2 stainless Button head screws in my tool box and to our surprise they seemed to fit nicely.

To be honest i can't recall if they were M5 or M6 - but certainly metric.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-button-head-socket-screws-a2-stainless-steel-m6-x-20mm-50-pack/8878t

The screws , whether original or otherwise only need to be tightened very gently.

Alternatively.........

https://www.asap-supplies.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pump+screws

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p85347?searchstr=m6 x 20mm

Edited by MartynG

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have these fitted and they are brilliant. We use this version the Speedseal Life:

http://www.speedseal.com/SpeedsealLife/SpeedsealLife.html

The teflon plates help reduce the wear on the impellor if it should run dry.

It sounds like snake oil, but we used to go through two or three impellors a year due to dry running after picking up crap on the water intake. Since fitting this we replace the impellors every two or three years when they wear out. The plate has more then paid for itself over the years.

• Greenie 1

I just have a complete spare pump, it is easier to unbolt it (3 bolts) and disconnect the in/out hoses and replace the whole unit than it is to mess about trying to reach around the engine to try and unscrew half-a-dozen unseen screws, remove the impellor, replace impellor and re-fit the cover plate without dropping anything. The ‘old’ unit can be serviced in comfort and put back into the spares box.

I also carry spare starter motor, alternator, hoses, fan belts etc. etc. It is easier to DIY than sitting waiting hours for help to turn up.

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mousing

37 minutes ago, smileypete said:

?

Using a fine (galvanised or Stainless steel) wire to secure shackles, nuts, hooks etc. on boats & aircraft.

Commonly found on anchor shackles to stop them 'working open' due to either abrasion or vibration. 

vijak%20gambeta.jpg

Image result for mousing anchor shackle

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Using a fine (galvanised or Stainless steel) wire to secure shackles, nuts, hooks etc. on boats & aircraft.

Commonly found on anchor shackles to stop them 'working open' due to either abrasion or vibration. 

vijak%20gambeta.jpg

Image result for mousing anchor shackle

Interesting. When I’ve done that on aircraft props the engineer simply called it ‘fitting the locking wires’. 

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I just have a complete spare pump, it is easier to unbolt it (3 bolts) and disconnect the in/out hoses and replace the whole unit than it is to mess about trying to reach around the engine to try and unscrew half-a-dozen unseen screws, remove the impellor, replace impellor and re-fit the cover plate without dropping anything. The ‘old’ unit can be serviced in comfort and put back into the spares box.

I also carry spare starter motor, alternator, hoses, fan belts etc. etc. It is easier to DIY than sitting waiting hours for help to turn up.

On our engine it is far easier to change the impeller then it is to take the pump off. It has been off to fit a rebuild kit with new bearings, seals and shaft. But in a hurry four thumb screws and an impeller change is a less then 5 minute job. 

Last carried out in the middle of Loch Ness!