Carbon Monoxide - Safety On Boats

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

We were far more concerned about gas (from petrol or LPG) getting in the boat than CO - as the cockpit (with all the lockers - even though we vented them to the outside) to cabin 'sill' was lower than the outside of the boat so any 'heavy' gas in the cockpit could find its way into the boat itself. The stern of the boat did have a fold down step that would let heavy gas out but it was still an issue. The only CO we were likely to have was from the gas stove and the webasto that was vented outside. No requirement for safety checks like BSS.

Yes indeed. LPG is heavier than air so will settle at the lowest point and accumulate whereas CO is nearasdammit the same as air (very fractionally lighter) so won't have the same tendancy to settle. 

Just now, blackrose said:

Yes, but rivers are better...

Disagree. I'm on the Avon now and it is mile after mile of boringness. A reach a mile long between fields of nettles each side then a bend. Around the bend and guess what? Another mile long reach with fields of nettles each side. 

Much more interesting stuff on canals. Can't wait to get back on them!

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I will get one today if they sell them in Wells

Didn't find one, but picked up what looks like a brand new plastimo self inflating lifejacket for £3.5 from the local charity shop,so will be OK if i fall in harbour later (assuming it works). Will get the mrs to try it first 

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Disagree. I'm on the Avon now and it is mile after mile of boringness. A reach a mile long between fields of nettles each side then a bend. Around the bend and guess what? Another mile long reach with fields of nettles each side. 

Much more interesting stuff on canals. Can't wait to get back on them!

Try a decent river like the Nene or Gt Ouse. 

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Really should get one for our sailing boat. 

Yes you should.

Could also save you when you are moored next to some muppet who has made stupid mods on their boat :rolleyes:

Or as is most often the case when ours goes off, when your next door neighbour leaves their massive great V8 petrol lump ticking over in the adjacent berth :blink:

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

Yes you should.

Could also save you when you are moored next to some muppet who has made stupid mods on their boat :rolleyes:

Or as is most often the case when ours goes off, when your next door neighbour leaves their massive great V8 petrol lump ticking over in the adjacent berth :blink:

Luckily we don't have neighbours that often. Will add one to my never ending shopping list. 

19 minutes ago, billS said:

Try to buy a nice considerate one, they are a bit more expensive, but you won't regret it.

I tried to get Kylie Minogue, but don't think she's in neighbours anymore! 

My nearest neighbour at the moment is Alan de Enfield. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1