Carbon Monoxide - Safety On Boats

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Here is a Pdf of a brochure I recently picked up at a 'lumpy-water' marina.

I have mentioned  it in a couple of threads (re running generators on board) and thought it may be useful for all to see (even those who know what not to do)

carbon-monoxide-safety-on-boats-final-dec2016.pdf

Page 9 :

Avoid improvising portable generators for fixed use as these have led to boater deaths and injuries

Page 10 :

Never run portable generators in a cabin or covered cockpit area, or close to any door, opening or ventilator that opens into the boat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

7 hours ago, The Ents said:

All this summer there has been a boat running a Gen set on his well deck with the back cabin doors open..,.,.

Given a well deck is at the front, I don't see any problem with having the back cabin doors open. 

1 hour ago, The Ents said:

Ah, I didn't explain. The craft was a plastic cruiser with a well deck at the stern, generator in the well next to the open doors!

Mike.

Yep. We see several like that pretty much every weekend.

Some people are just a bit too thick to be educated.

Alan, intersting that you found it in a lumpy water marina. Not a lot of those boats have a solid fuel stove. Also safety seems to be lower down the priority list there for boat builders.

When we bought our new yacht in 2005, brand new from Spain, the gas bottle was installed in one of the cockpit lockers - not vented - the boat was meant to conform to the RCD offshore standard. Of course there were no BBS requirements - that was a bit of shock when we bought our narrow boat. Maybe a bigger hazard for plastic ocean going boats is the carrying of petrol (gasoline). Almost all cruisers will carry petrol to power their  outboards for the tender. Most of our friends boats did not have a vented locker to store this in so it ended up in a cockpit locker.

We were far more concerned about gas (from petrol or LPG) getting in the boat than CO - as the cockpit (with all the lockers - even though we vented them to the outside) to cabin 'sill' was lower than the outside of the boat so any 'heavy' gas in the cockpit could find its way into the boat itself. The stern of the boat did have a fold down step that would let heavy gas out but it was still an issue. The only CO we were likely to have was from the gas stove and the webasto that was vented outside. No requirement for safety checks like BSS.

9 hours ago, rasputin said:

Quick, go and check that they are not dead.

But don't go in a car, probably more dangerous than running a generator on a boat.

And, remember to brush your teeth before you go to bed.

It demonstrates a particularly nasty version of "I don't care" when somebody cannot see the benefits of advising those who might be unaware of a hazard.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

21 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Alan, intersting that you found it in a lumpy water marina. Not a lot of those boats have a solid fuel stove. Also safety seems to be lower down the priority list there for boat builders.

When we bought our new yacht in 2005, brand new from Spain, the gas bottle was installed in one of the cockpit lockers - not vented - the boat was meant to conform to the RCD offshore standard. Of course there were no BBS requirements - that was a bit of shock when we bought our narrow boat. Maybe a bigger hazard for plastic ocean going boats is the carrying of petrol (gasoline). Almost all cruisers will carry petrol to power their  outboards for the tender. Most of our friends boats did not have a vented locker to store this in so it ended up in a cockpit locker.

We were far more concerned about gas (from petrol or LPG) getting in the boat than CO - as the cockpit (with all the lockers - even though we vented them to the outside) to cabin 'sill' was lower than the outside of the boat so any 'heavy' gas in the cockpit could find its way into the boat itself. The stern of the boat did have a fold down step that would let heavy gas out but it was still an issue. The only CO we were likely to have was from the gas stove and the webasto that was vented outside. No requirement for safety checks like BSS.

Yes, I've wondered about this. For example, I would never dream of storing a petrol generator (containing fuel) in the below decks engine space on my boat and would warn others about not doing that. But isn't that in effect exactly what a lot of petrol engine GRP cruisers are doing?

Edited by blackrose

I was thinking that poodling down to Warwick on the GU today was going to be a bit of a struggle in a F2. Havent got my oilies with me. Weather radar shows the rain will go away in an hour or so. Maybe re-assess our weather window for getting to the Two boats by tonight.

Arent canals wonderful.