Best maps

Tring Man

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

As for T.V. aerials....some of us go boating to get away from the gogglebox

No one goes boating to get away from the tv. If you want to avoid the tv, they have an on/off switch built in these days! 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

No one goes boating to get away from the tv. If you want to avoid the tv, they have an on/off switch built in these days! 

Yes they do.

Please advise Mrs. Athy of the existence of this switch.

I use Waternav on my phone & tablet, but only to know where I am... (on the Android versions you cannot route plan - but can measure) and to look ahead for moorings / shops / facilities etc.  Free to members of RCR or a fiver each if you download them before joining (like I did!).

The PC version apparently lets you plan too, so may be on the to buy list.

Waternav also keeps North to the top of the screen.

Thanks for all the great/useful and I believe mostly grammatically correct feedback ☺️

I think I will follow Lilly Rose's excellent suggestion, and buy both the Pearson's and Nicholson guides for our local area, and try out the online tools as we travel. We can then argue between the two of us (SWMBO) about which are the best and buy the one she wants. 

Regards 

Alan 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Tring Man said:

Thanks for all the great/useful and I believe mostly grammatically correct feedback ☺️

I think I will follow Lilly Rose's excellent suggestion, and buy both the Pearson's and Nicholson guides for our local area, and try out the online tools as we travel. We can then argue between the two of us (SWMBO) about which are the best and buy the one she wants. 

:D :D

A greeno for your sense of humour - now if you could explain to a few of our colleagues what one is...?

Is it still legal to operate an on-line device whilst steering a boat?  It probably should not be (I do appreciate that it may be the non-steerer who is using it, which is fairy nuff).

1 minute ago, Athy said:

After about Beethoven's fifth?

I thought we were talking about TV, not music

Only a nutter would listen to them back to back. In any case, classical constitutes only about 25% of my listening and Beethoven probably 20% of that.

I can't keep changing my user name to reflect my current favourite. If  I did I would probably be Mr Biffy Clyro right now. This time next month, who knows?

9 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I thought we were talking about TV, not music

Only a nutter would listen to them back to back. In any case, classical constitutes only about 25% of my listening and Beethoven probably 20% of that.

I can't keep changing my user name to reflect my current favourite. If  I did I would probably be Mr Biffy Clyro right now. This time next month, who knows?

I suspect that you knew what I meant really.

There was a cartoon once, showing a bewigged Ludwig van sitting at a bar with a glass before him and looking distinctly the worse for wear. One barmaid is saying to the other "That's Beethoven's fifth".

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I suspect that you knew what I meant really.

There was a cartoon once, showing a bewigged Ludwig van sitting at a bar with a glass before him and looking distinctly the worse for wear. One barmaid is saying to the other "That's Beethoven's fifth".

I thought it was his 9th? :cheers:

On 02/09/2017 at 15:07, cuthound said:

There also used to be a guide to supermarkets close to canals, produced by anow Ownerships shared boat owner, which I have. Unfortunately this stopped being produced or updated just before the Internet became popular, so cannot be downloaded

Check out Android Locus Map Pro it has a new menu option called 'Points Of Interest's has all of these and much more including transport,hospital,ATMs etc, my favorite is 'shopping around' which shows shopping around your current GPS position or any other point you want to check out. highly recommend it, not sure if the Point is in the free version but app is rated 4.8 for good reason.

So my votes

Nicholson's (batteries never run out with hard copy)

CanalPlanAC for route planning

Locus map Pro - Android App for All my other map requirements.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, John Wareing said:

I use both Nicholsons and Pearsons. The former for mapping and knowing exactly where you are - you can't beat an OS map. Pearsons for the whimsical text which provides a goods background.

You can get OS maps at 1:50000 and 1:25000 covering the whole country (including the Celtic fringes) for a £20 a year subscription. Personally I dislike Google Maps intensely because of the lack of colour contrast. OS maps (the traditional ones) just look right to me as well as being accurately detailed.