A sad day at yelvertoft Marina

Stuart Maddock

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, catweasel said:

Dunno if it still exists,but there was a pub either in or close to Chorley called the "Sea View." Can't imagine the sea was visible!

It's still there, but the sea is no longer visible ... there's an effing great Waitrose distribution centre in the way now!

Admittedly, the sea was only ever visible from the Seaview from the upstairs front window ...  you were looking out over the Lancashire plain towards Southport, all the way across Tarleton moss, but you could see it some years ago.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Lots of Thwaites there. My mums maiden name was Thistlethwaite.

My favourite story about Thwaites Brewery was when they told all their staff they were being laid off a day later.

One of the plant sparkies wandered up to the tower above Thwaites Blackburn, fettled the electrics so the "h", "i" and "e" went dark, then welded the switchbox shut on his last day working for the company.

Four sided tallest building in Blackburn said "T _ W A _ T _ S" on it for a while.

article-2545758-1AEF9A1800000578-586_634

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Athy said:

How very subversive. But why would Thwaites lay off all their staff? Who would brew the beer?

Probably happened when The sites sold off part of their brewing business to Martons in 2015.

• 2 years later...
On 05/08/2017 at 12:04, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Just to throw one other incident into the mix, in my previous occupation we started a murder investigation following the death of a Dartington Hall student, Cathy Pelly, who was found drowned in the River Dart at Totnes with marks to her neck. Since this was in 1987, don't bother trying to look it up on the internet, there is only minimal mention of it. A local taxi driver was arrested and interviewed over the matter but no evidence was ever found. When it eventually went to Coroners Court the verdict was that she had probably been killed by a swan whilst swimming in the river. Since the swan was never represented at Court I always thought he got stitched up a bit:unsure:

Hi there, I stumbled across this thread when doing a personal investigation into the death of Cathy Pelly. It is of great personal interest as I have spent my entire life in totnes and Dartington, as well as having worked at the former. I have put countless hours into looking into this case and so as you can imagine I would jump at the opportunity to talk to you about certain aspects of the investigation. I do not have enough points to PM you (whilst I do indeed have an affinity for boats they are not the primary reason for creating an account on this forum) but my email is joeartwilliams@gmail.com and I would absolutely love to hear from you. Swan or not I need to get to the bottom of this for my own peace of mind!

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Welcome to the forum, and I wish you well with your quest.

Thanks for you encouraging words! Any advice on how I could get the mandatory 10 points you need before PMing someone? This would be so much easier if I could reach out and talk to the gentleman individually.

Just now, Joe Williams said:

Thanks for you encouraging words! Any advice on how I could get the mandatory 10 points you need before PMing someone? This would be so much easier if I could reach out and talk to the gentleman individually.

Just keep posting.  You have two posts currently.

Alternatively I think @Wanderer Vagabond can PM you if he wishes to and you should then be able to reply to that.

6 minutes ago, Joe Williams said:

Yes, as Mr. Biscuits says, just keep posting, and you'll soon reach the mandatory figure. Have a look at other topics on the list of new content and make posts on any which look interesting.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Alternatively I think @Wanderer Vagabond can PM you if he wishes to and you should then be able to reply to that.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, as Mr. Biscuits says, just keep posting, and you'll soon reach the mandatory figure. Have a look at other topics on the list of new content and make posts on any which look interesting.

Indeed, you could get involved in a vitriolic argument......there are normally one or two on the go at any given time somewhere on the forum. You could get up to 10 posts within the hour! 

4 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Indeed, you could get involved in a vitriolic argument......there are normally one or two on the go at any given time somewhere on the forum. You could get up to 10 posts within the hour! 

Oh no there aren’t etc. 

• Haha 2
  • Horror 1

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ahhh right, I didn’t realise the “10” figure was number of posts. Good to know!

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have already messaged him from a Facebook posting by Joe

That is really appreciated, thanks so much for going out your way to give me a hand!

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You think as long as that

As someone trying to get to 10 asap, this is not gonna take an hour…