VHF radio

luggsy

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

I think you might possibly need to do a new licence to encompass DSC. There is info about it on the RYA website.

You can still be re-issued with a "Restricted Certificate Of Competence" which is the new version of the 'old' certificate and allows you to operate VHF

Screenshot (43).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 03/08/2017 at 16:00, luggsy said:

Ok thanks for all your replies, I know you need a license for vhf 

No one will ask if you have a licence in an emergency [or any other time]. Just learn the usage, the alphabet and the channels.

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No one will ask if you have a licence in an emergency [or any other time]. Just learn the usage, the alphabet and the channels.

So you're basically saying he should just break the law? That is particularly bad advice.

It is a legal requirement that anyone using a VHF radio is qualified to do so. The only exception is in an emergency situation when anyone may use the radio to call for help.

It is an offence to install or use any radio equipment on board any vessel in the UK, other than under (and in accordance with the terms of) a licence issued by Ofcom. It is also an offence for a person to have ship radio equipment in their possession or under their control, with the intention of using it without a licence. A Ship Radio Licence or Ship Portable Radio Licence is therefore required even if the radio equipment is not in constant use or if it is intended for use only for distress purposes.

Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (‘the Act’) and associated legislation.

By the way, it's really not that difficult to take a short range VHF course and get a radio licence. Do it properly, that would be my advice.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I think you might possibly need to do a new licence to encompass DSC. There is info about it on the RYA website.

I agree.

I recently took my exam for a VHF licence and the examiner told me that although the licence in theory lasts a lifetime if there is a major change such as DSC people are required to retest either a refresher style for a temporary period or a new full re-exam.

Although in a practical sense buying the latest RYA VHF book and reading up on the DSC Component and use of MMSI numbers etc would be enough for someone with radio experience I think.

Edited by churchward

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

However the offence is punishable by a large fine or prison sentence , in theory.

10 hours ago, Trevor Lyons said:

Thanks you for the responses. Yes, I do have a VHF licence, having taken a course some twenty years ago. I've lost the certificate, so I need to get a copy. I haven't bought the VHF for the UK; I got it for my barge that I propose to take to Europe. ATIS is required in the EU, so I need to get a number to enter into the radio. Is this available from the RYA or the MCA (or from someone else)? Is the ATIS number the same as the MMSI number?

(I've been on boats with SSB, but I don't have an SSB licence yet).

I was not aware of this. I thought an AIS receiver would show AIS vessels without any input. Please advise.

I'm aware that the GPS function is there primarily for emergency location and for informing the AIS display. I wondered if it might offer any more functions (the unit does permit waypoints). When I've been at sea I've used a nice Garmin EchoMap GPS that was very impressive and, although one might argue that it's hard to get lost on a canal, it seems that detailed map chips of some European waterways are available for the EchoMap.

You should get your ships radio license and MMSI and ATIS numbers online from ofcom . 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/online-licensing-service

Thinking about it you are correct about AIS reception (only) working without DSC. 

For other functions such as waypoints ....thats specific to the set you have and presumably detailed in the instructions.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you are going to learn usage, alphabet and channels etc why not go the whole hog and obtain a certificate? Apart from the above being particularly bad advice, be careful that you don't fall foul of the occasional surprise official visitors who have been known to check radio certification. For those who doubt that it happens |I can assure you that I have personally seen it take place.

Howard 

7 minutes ago, howardang said:

If you are going to learn usage, alphabet and channels etc why not go the whole hog and obtain a certificate? Apart from the above being particularly bad advice, be careful that you don't fall foul of the occasional surprise official visitors who have been known to check radio certification. For those who doubt that it happens |I can assure you that I have personally seen it take place.

Howard 

Indeed, but he would do better to buy a proper marine radio.

I understood OP wanted to buy some gadget off Ebay which is not certified, and only use it when he exhausted all other options and it was a matter of life or death.

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I reckon it is.

The vast majority of Marine VHFs are now designed to be part of a 'system and connected by a 'backbone' providing information to, and receiving from a multitude of other instruments.

Connectivity for DCS, ATIS and AIS is not unusual.

Maybe you need to keep up with developments.

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I understood OP wanted to buy some gadget off Ebay which is not certified, and only use it when he exhausted all other options and it was a matter of life or death.

The original post was in 2017 !

We are talking about recent posts.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I reckon it is.

The vast majority of Marine VHFs are now designed to be part of a 'system and connected by a 'backbone' providing information to, and receiving from a multitude of other instruments.

Connectivity for DCS, ATIS and AIS is not unusual.

Maybe you need to keep up with developments.

no need, I don't intend to go to sea. I have a VHF and a licence, but I would only use either if it proved necessary.

Edited by LadyG

50 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard 

And was a large fine imposed?

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

And was a large fine imposed?

That I cannot recall, but at the time it certainly put a lot of extra business with the providers of suitable courses locally! In any event, the size of the fine is irrelevant. Best just to follow the regulations, stay legal and have the peace of mind of knowing that you have been reasonably trained.

Howard

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

Don't you believe it, if he is going to mainland Europe someone will want to see it, I have a feeling you also need two radios onboard but maybe someone else can confirm if I am right or wrong. 

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have a feeling you also need two radios onboard but maybe someone else can confirm if I am right or wrong. 

Only if the boat is longer than 20 metres (according to the following)..

https://www.french-waterways.com/practicalities/boats-equipment/

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't you believe it, if he is going to mainland Europe someone will want to see it,

Too true.

You are expected to be able to provide all of the Ships Papers at a moments notice.

Proof of ownership / Bill of sale going back to the 1st owner

Proof of VAT Paid certificate

RCD Documentation for a boat build after 1998

Ship VHF licence

Operators VHF Certificate

EPIRB Registration

ATIS registration

etc etc etc

• Greenie 1