Electric or hybrid

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, nebulae said:

My RoverP5B is nearly 50years old.I cant see why it wont last another 50. I dont care if they stop building new petrol and diesel cars cars. I am sure there will be some garages left to supply me with fuel. If pushed,I might change to lpg.

I owned a P5B it were a fab car the B stands for Buick of course.

12 minutes ago, nebulae said:

My RoverP5B is nearly 50years old.I cant see why it wont last another 50. I dont care if they stop building new petrol and diesel cars cars. I am sure there will be some garages left to supply me with fuel. If pushed,I might change to lpg.

Lpg is a bi product of the petrol/diesel process so it will be gone as well

It's all interesting isn't it. I think a lot will change in the way we use cars, some good and some bad.

Driving two hours to a rural hedgerow, parking half in it to do weekends boating, and still having the range to drive back might be a thing of the past say.

But if you instead drive to the pub, eat a meal between 7pm and 11 that might allow it. Or you use a train and taxi a lot more, or a pair of one-way hire cars.

Equally I've just slashed £800 in bodywork repairs on a 16yo car worth £1800, a mix of repairing storm damage from lost ridge tiles and replacing rusty wings and the like. This may be economically silly, but I like the car, and with that sort of repairing it could last a long time assuming petrol pumps continue to exist for a while.

Daniel

7 hours ago, jddevel said:

The only problem with the Teslas that I immediately notice is I`ll have to make a choice. Narrowboat or car. I certainly and might I suggest the majority of inhabitants of the UK can`t afford well over £50000 for car.

Oh yeah, I can't afford one either.

But then I can afford a brandnew 3litre BMW 330ci, with clubsport spec. But that is what I drive, and once a matching 16yo with 150k on the clock then used price of a Tesla will have come down too. Splashing £4k on a new battery might hurt, but if that's what the crack was, I would start saving and get there.

Daniel

I appreciate that supply of lpg could be a problem in the future. The number of caravans,boats,private houses and power stations that use it as a fuel,if it is no longer available it will be a major problem. We cook on lpg as there is no gas available on Welsh mountains.We also use Kerosine as a heating fuel. We are wondering about Biomas,but I am concerned that the present government scheme is a fraud against the taxpayer,in my opinion.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Robbo said:

I can see car accidents going up if ya can’t hear em!  Good job they more likely have pedestrian detection.

Don`t forget the wannabee Chris Froomes who insist on testing their abilities on main roads in areas with as many hills as possible so that they create tailbacks worse than caravans and tractors. AAARG!!! 

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It warbles to warn pedestrians of its presence.

Aaaaaaaaaaagh. I already suffer from tinnitus so now I`ve that to look forward too as well!!!

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Lpg is a bi product of the petrol/diesel process so it will be gone as well

Are they going to stop a guy I know whose transit running on Fish and Chip waste oil is a b****er to follow. Some odour.

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

Are they going to stop a guy I know whose transit running on Fish and Chip waste oil is a b****er to follow. Some odour.

I have no idea but progress will more than likely sort it as modern diesels and waste oil dont mix it destroys the HP pumps and injectors

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have no idea but progress will more than likely sort it as modern diesels and waste oil dont mix it destroys the HP pumps and injectors

I will admit he often has his "head under the bonnet" but has been running it his way for about 6 years,

Actually Tony just read the thread, half the posters are saying that they arnt practical, dont have a range, take to long to charge, etc etc etc. The reality is that change will come a lot quicker than  2040, and all the "problems" will just figments of peoples imagination. Jayne and I could easily manage on a 90 mile range and so could lots of others. However I am sure that within a year or so 200 plus will be the norm [there are cars which have this range already] and in less than 5 years 300 plus will be the norm. A gradual change is for the best as the infrastructure will take time to develop along with offshore windfarms to support them

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Actually Tony just read the thread, half the posters are saying that they arnt practical, dont have a range, take to long to charge, etc etc etc.

All of which is true. 

It is unlikely to remain true for many years but right now it's a fact. 

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Jayne and I could easily manage on a 90 mile range...

I couldn't. Even a 400 mile range would be sufficient for me. Not every day, but if I need to run down to the south coast and back in a day (as I have had to on occasion) I need a car that can do it. 

Yes, that will probably happen eventually but I doubt that an affordable and long range purely electric car will be available to the general public within the next 15 years. 

I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first (or last) time - but I don't think I'll be proved to be. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

All of which is true. 

Only to you, to me its no problem and to a lot of others its no problem as we dont do that many miles anymore

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

All of which is true. 

Given the truly monumental research gone into batteries over the last decade or two resulting in only minor improvements in performance, we are still looking for the 'order of magnitude' improvement necessary. I think there is no certainty whatsoever about when this will be found, or even if

Given no end date, the 'if' can probably be ruled out. But that is an easy prediction to make and not worth the paper it is written on. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given the truly monumental research gone into batteries over the last decade or two resulting in only minor improvements in performance, we are still looking for the 'order of magnitude' improvement necessary. I think there is no certainty whatsoever about when this will be found, or even if

Agreed. 

I couldn't. Even a 400 mile range would be sufficient for me. Not every day, but if I need to run down to the south coast and back in a day (as I have had to on occasion) I need a car that can do it. 

Yes, that will probably happen eventually but I doubt that an affordable and long range purely electric car will be available to the general public within the next 15 years. 

I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first (or last) time - but I don't think I'll be proved to be. 

The trouble is Tony they dont care about yours or mines problems car makers will make a car they know will sell and if the market is electric that will be it. And the point of my e series post is, that all the major makers are there now, so clearly that is where the writing on the wall is going

18 minutes ago, peterboat said:

... the infrastructure will take time to develop along with offshore windfarms to support them  

Wind farms won't come close to providing sufficient power. According to a recent National Grid report, peak demand could add around 30GW to the current peak of 61GW. That's an increase of 50% over our current generating capacity. That's another 10 Hinckley Points. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given no end date, the 'if' can probably be ruled out. But that is an easy prediction to make and not worth the paper it is written on. 

Mike lots of things are going on in the battery world, what they are looking at is a cheap way forward and the sodium glass battery might be it. Investors have pushed up the price of lithium 2000% which is why it will be dropped as always greedy people spoil things for the majority

Just now, WotEver said:

Wind farms won't come close to providing sufficient power. According to a recent National Grid report, peak demand could add around 30GW to the current peak of 61GW. That's an increase of 50% over our current generating capacity. That's another 10 Hinckley Points. 

They wont charge peak will they it will be overnight when most windfarms are idle

Just now, WotEver said:

Absolutely. And a £50k car with a 300 mile range ain't it. 

so why are the order books full and all production sold then

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

They wont charge peak will they it will be overnight when most windfarms are idle

Of course they will. Everyone will come home from work at about the same time and the first thing they'll do is plug the car in. The second thing they'll do is turn the kettle on. 

Of course they will. Everyone will come home from work at about the same time and the first thing they'll do is plug the car in. The second thing they'll do is turn the kettle on. 

And the dedicated socket will turn itself on when peak demand is gone unless you over ride it and pay a cost penalty its easy really but dont worry your Jag will be safe until no more parts are available for it...............which might be sooner than you think! Dave was trying to order a part for a 2007 XKR it wasnt available and no due date known, in the past that means its not going to be made, so the secondhand search has started he still hastnt got the bit yet.............................