Just starting to look......

Tawny75

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tawny75 said:

If we bought a boat with a washing machine on it then I would remove it to have more storage space.  We do not intend to live aboard so have no need of a washing machine anyway.

I hate pram covers myself, I see them on boats all the time and unless they are in really good condition they look horrible.  Kind of like an awning on a caravan, a good one is a compliment but a bad one makes it look awful.

I quite like the wood in the older boats, maybe it is the traditionalist in me.  I make quilts, cushions and even curtains at a push so I can make some to compliment it.  I agree white does seem very clinical but again, we would live with it and decide what to do.

See I am not sure about the generator, is it really needed on a boat for weekends and holidays? Surely if you are cruising most of the day as we do, then the batteries will be charged enough?

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to know if my suggestions / comments are relevant!

You need to do a bit more research about the electricity supply. Even if you take the washer out there's still the microwave to use or remove and the hot water cylinder has a 240v immersion heater in it - if you use any of those then the genset would still be needed.

There's no mention of any extra alternators on the engine, so my guess is that the batteries may have been charged by it - there's a mention of a Sterling inverter / charger, (that may be an item heading, but it's worth confirming what it is.

There is a fridge / freezer listed it that 12V or a mains unit.

No mention either of a shore power supply connection

None of the above are show stoppers, but it's worth considering retaining the generator until you've resolved how to generate battery power for the fridge, tv, (microwave). This may mean an extra alternator on the engine (better in my view than upgrading the existing unit) plus a battery management system.

We may have found the boat for us.  We called in at this marina on the off chance and saw this. It is 5ft longer than we anticipated but it is really really nice. It has been owned from new by an older couple and we are seriously thinking of putting down a deposit. Thoughts?

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Canal-Narrow-Boats-for-sale/steelcraft-55ft-cruiser-stern-narrowboat/180964?op=photos

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

No fixed bed by the looks of it? Is this just a holiday boat?

Yes it is  we will convert the dinette bit into a bed as we would very rarely use the dining table anyway. 

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Must be good - the engine bay is immaculate! Old Sterling charger - got one and it takes quite a punishment!

Looks as if it's  been well spruced up but why no curtains?

I am not sure why there are no curtains, well they are there just pegged up instead of hung properly, if you ask me they have been taken off off and washed, as the pot with all the brass rings for them is on one of the little shelves. I would probably make new ones even if it had some, along with cushion covers etc to match.

• 1987 - too old
  • 55ft  - ok
  • Cruiser Stern - good
  • Narrowboat built by Steelcraft - Who?
  • Thornycroft 105 Diesel Engine. - dunno
  • Bow Tonneau and Stern Covers -
  • Sterling 40A Battery Charger - but no batteries?
  • Aft Dinette -
  • Galley with Vanette GG7000 Oven and Grill. Vanette 4000/2 4 Burner Hob - ok
  • Sibir Gas Fridge - who ?
  • Ellis Gas Boiler -  who ?
  • Wetroom Bathroom with Shower, Basin - is the floor sound or soggy ?
  • Thetford Porta Potti - pumpout preferred
  • Ample Storage opposite  - eh? Opposite the loo ?
  • Forward Saloon with Solid Fuel Stove - wonky flue not to my liking
  • Sofa which converts to a Double Bed - totally unacceptable even on a weekender
  • Vetus Bow Thruster - 30 years old ? Is it a colander ?
  • BSC until February 2021. 
  • water tank ? size ?
  • gas bottles? how many ? 
  • bitumin or poxy ?

£28,995. - toooo much.

Just my doodles whilst drinking some nice red.

23 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:
  • 1987 - too old
  • 55ft  - ok
  • Cruiser Stern - good
  • Narrowboat built by Steelcraft - Who?
  • Thornycroft 105 Diesel Engine. - dunno
  • Bow Tonneau and Stern Covers -
  • Sterling 40A Battery Charger - but no batteries?
  • Aft Dinette -
  • Galley with Vanette GG7000 Oven and Grill. Vanette 4000/2 4 Burner Hob - ok
  • Sibir Gas Fridge - who ?
  • Wetroom Bathroom with Shower, Basin - is the floor sound or soggy ?
  • Thetford Porta Potti - pumpout preferred
  • Ample Storage opposite  - eh? Opposite the loo ?
  • Forward Saloon with Solid Fuel Stove - wonky flue not to my liking
  • Sofa which converts to a Double Bed - totally unacceptable even on a weekender
  • Vetus Bow Thruster - 30 years old ? Is it a colander ?
  • BSC until February 2021. 
  • water tank ? size ?
  • gas bottles? how many ? 
  • bitumin or poxy ?

£28,995. - toooo much.

Just my doodles whilst drinking some nice red.

Thank you for your doodles, some of them I know the rest I have noted down to find out tomorrow.

The aft dinette, concertinas down and makes a double, this we would leave as the permanent double by buying an appropriately sized mattress, we agreee, we would not want to put a bed up and down every day.

We did not see batteries, but tomorrow will look properly.  There must be some because the 240v shoreline was not plugged in and the lights worked.

There is cupboards opposite the bath/wetroom which is what they mean.

The wetroom, is almost like ad 3 inch deep bath, I stood in it and I am a large lady and it was not at all spongy or soggy

We prefer a cassette toilet, having had a pumpout boat for a week, we did not like it by the end of the week.

The blacking situation we will also find out tomorrow.

I am not enjoying any red, however I do have a nice Hendricks gin with Fevertree Aromatic tonic water, which is pinky orange.

As for whether it's overpriced I think you have to compare boats available on the market at the time concerned. To be sure you need to view the boats concerned in the flesh but here's something by way of comparison.

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/amelia-rose/

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

On 15/07/2017 at 20:44, system 4-50 said:

Ellis are the best boat boilers money can buy, and you'll need a LOT of money to get one. They are no longer made and fetch a fortune second hand.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ellis are the best boat boilers money can buy, and you'll need a LOT of money to get one. They are no longer made and fetch a fortune second hand.

Dammit, I try to be careful, but I've gone and learnt something there.

53 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

We prefer a cassette toilet, having had a pumpout boat for a week, we did not like it by the end of the week.

I should've said mascerator pumpout preferred, definitely not drop throughs. With a mascerator you should not have noticed anything in a week.

Edited by system 4-50

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

As for whether it's overpriced I think you have to compare boats available on the market at the time concerned. To be sure you need to view the boats concerned in the flesh but here's something by way of comparison.

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/amelia-rose/

We did look at this one online but it is just out of our price range, rather than do anything hastily we are looking at it again tomorrow and I am going armed with a list of questions.

39 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Dammit, I try to be careful, but I've gone and learnt something there.

I should've said mascerator pumpout preferred, definitely not drop throughs. With a mascerator you should not have noticed anything in a week.

This was a drop through, by Thursday it was definitely whiffy.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Beware mascerator pumpouts. Have a guess if they ever break down, and consider what sort of a job might be to take them to pieces and fix... and who might be doing it :giggles:

I can firmly state that all toilet duties come under the purview of my lovely chap.  He does them when we are camping so that will indeed continue, the same as I bring him a cuppa in bed in the morning :)

Edited by Tawny75

On 15/07/2017 at 23:00, Tawny75 said:

I can firmly state that all toilet duties come under the purview of my lovely chap.  He does them when we are camping so that will indeed continue, the same as I bring him a cuppa in bed in the morning :)

Hmmmm you're definitely up on the deal there!!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmmm you're definitely up on the deal there!!

I know I am :D , he wins out in other ways I am sure.......honest.....

Edited by Tawny75

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

You'll definitely be pushing your luck when you add in unblocking the macerator <<<YUCK>>>

Won't be a problem as we will not be getting one.  Cassette all the way for us :)

After much deliberation and chatting into the night, we have decided to let this one go.  We ideally want a sub 50ft boat to go where we have found the ideal mooring.  Our search goes on, it is a bit wider now though as we are looking at semi trads as well after seeing some really nice ones yesterday.

16 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

After much deliberation and chatting into the night, we have decided to let this one go.  We ideally want a sub 50ft boat to go where we have found the ideal mooring.  Our search goes on, it is a bit wider now though as we are looking at semi trads as well after seeing some really nice ones yesterday.

Oh shame - it looked quite promising despite its age - worth a look (if not too late) even just for comparison's sake.

Dump throughs - you can always blank it off and put a porta potti on top. We'e put up with it being smelly - but have discovered (for us) the solution is a regular small dose of 'oxygen' bio wash powder / liquid. Smells have vanished. Bear in mind that pump outs and disposal points are thin on the ground so  you need a management strategy and that's not digging a hole somewhere....

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question to you all if that is okay?

What are the opinions on boats built by Liverpool Boats?  There is a 40ft 1992 cruiser stern called Our Turn on at Great Haywood Boats which to my my inexperienced eye looks nice.

21 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

I have another question to you all if that is okay?

What are the opinions on boats built by Liverpool Boats?  There is a 40ft 1992 cruiser stern called Our Turn on at Great Haywood Boats which to my my inexperienced eye looks nice.

They took over from Springer making bargain basement cheapo boats. 

Perfectly good if you get one 'pre-owned' by someone who has ironed all the wrinkles out.

Our Liverpool boat is perfectly fine.

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Perfectly good if you get one 'pre-owned' by someone who has ironed all the wrinkles out.

Now I said that in another topic and got shot down because apparently there was one known about with the gunwales wider on one side than the other so how can all the issues be dealt with.  I'm with you however, one that age should be a perfectly good boat now.

5 minutes ago, IanM said:

Our Liverpool boat is perfectly fine.

Now I said that in another topic and got shot down because apparently there was one known about with the gunwales wider on one side than the other so how can all the issues be dealt with.  I'm with you however, one that age should be a perfectly good boat now.

Yes that was ours, but I did make it clear that the boat always served us well and that we never realised about the difference in gunwale width until we sold her. I don't think that any target practice was involved.