Advice needed (not a narrow boat)

Calranthe

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

If the world were perfect and all things amazing then yes I would have loved to potter about as it were for a few weeks but I do not have that luxury and all joking aside I have a good head on my shoulders and know my limits for example I will not cross a double lock gate yet and if unsure about anything I have Peter with me to help, I am learning but I do not take anything for granted but if Tony with all his amazing knowledge of engines and advice says something damn right I will listen and take note even if it goes against my own thoughts.

I know you would have pottered, I am not critisising you. Its why sea trials are conducted before warships take up their commision/working role.

I am not arguing with anyone, they are arguing with me because I dare to comment.

After all, the reason I am here is to find out as much as I can before I sell up and move aboard. Three months ago I knew nothing of the liveaboard life, now I am sure it will suit me. Its a huge decision for me and I have to reduce the risks. I know from my [lifetime's] experience, that folks buy something, and then when there is trouble their friends say "oh, didnt you know, they all do that, they are the pits!"

I am entited to comment, its a forum, a platform for debate, I have no idea why Tony got upset, I cant even recall his post about something specific to narrow boats, all boats move in mysterious ways, sometimes.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

An admirable aim - so why don't you just do that ?

I am waiting for a buyer, its a house, its Scotland, its not easy.

My brother is not talking to me because he thinks I have had some madcap ideas, and this is the last straw, lol.

If I had the cash, I would be aboard tomorrow.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

You misunderstand (again)

You stated you wanted to learn - instead you pontificate on all matters 'boating' with totally irrelevant comparisons - sailing boats to narrow boats, Locks on the Crinnan canal to locks on the 'narrow' canal system etc etc.

Listen and learn - God gave you two ears and one mouth - use them in the same ratio.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My brother is not talking to me because he thinks I have had some madcap ideas, and this is the last straw, lol.

Go back and read tge very first reply you got on the forum, or maybe it was the second from mrsmelly, then follow your heart 

Locks are amazing and each one seems to have its own personality, each one of the 6 locks I think we experienced was quite a different beast from the River Trent versions to the canal, some well maintained other spitting out so much water that even with both paddles open it is a slow event.

Never thought I would like or love locks but I do :)

Also because we experienced those 6 locks going up and coming back down it was interesting to see how different each one was from the other side.

Edited by Calranthe

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

You misunderstand (again)

You stated you wanted to learn - instead you pontificate on all matters 'boating' with totally irrelevant comparisons - sailing boats to narrow boats, Locks on the Crinnan canal to locks on the 'narrow' canal system etc etc.

Listen and learn - God gave you two ears and one mouth - use them in the same ratio.

Not unless challenged; someone wanted to cruise the Crinan canal, and really its only a trickle of water with some obstacles, its a means to an end. I mentioned it cos someone said I had no "experience" of canals, as though this was some mysterious activity only those in "the know" can understand 

1 minute ago, Calranthe said:

Locks are amazing and each one seems to have its own personality, each one of the 6 locks I think we experienced was quite a different beast from the River Trent versions to the canal, some well maintained other spitting out so much water that even with both paddles open it is a slow event.

Never thought I would like or love locks but I do :)

Travelling the inland waterways is as much about locks, swing bridges tunnels etc as it is about the boat. 

Enjoy

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Go back and read tge very first reply you got on the forum, or maybe it was the second from mrsmelly, then follow your heart 

will  do it, now that I have weighed the pros and the cons. but it would be better if I can do it without severing family ties. Last "fall out" if you can have a fallout with no arguments, lasted twenty years, and was with my parents/step parents. It was hisadvicce that got me in to the situation I find myself in , but that is "families"

Especially as I have yet to ask/tell him about the address problem.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

will  do it, now that I have weighed the pros and the cons. but it would be better if I can do it without severing family ties. Last "fall out" if you can have a fallout with no arguments, lasted twenty years, and was with my parents/step parents.

What address problem ?

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

will  do it, now that I have weighed the pros and the cons. but it would be better if I can do it without severing family ties. Last "fall out" if you can have a fallout with no arguments, lasted twenty years, and was with my parents/step parents.

Yes, it would be a great shame, but its your life, not your brothers. 

2 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

What address problem ?

A liveaboard cc has no postal address, so where does my post go to, some of which might just be important.

If cc one needs an official address, try getting insurance/credit/a bank account/anything , with no address.............

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

A liveaboard cc has no postal address, so where does my post go to, some of which might just be important.

If cc one needs an official address, try getting insurance/credit/a bank account/anything , with no address.............

oh for whatever sake it took me 10 seconds in google typing canal boat mail address 

http://www.boatmail.co.uk/

quote from the site

Use the address for contact for DVLA, Electoral Role, Government, Banking, Insurance  etc

DVLA (Driving and Vehicle Licensing Authority)

The free residential street address can be used as a contact address for the DVLA

I think this is what people mean when they say you pontificate 

Edited by Calranthe
  • Greenie 3

Tony knows I am no fan of BMCs its because they are old and if poorly maintained unreliable [so are most engines] however I bought a broads cruiser with one in and I have sorted it easily and as cheap as any simple engine. Injectors tested, three reconditioned, a set of heater plugs plus cleaning the holes out of carbon, and a canister conversion for the oil filter. It now starts after 3 seconds heat, smokes for a minute or so and has good oil pressure and sounds fine. Would I have it in preference to my Yanmar on my big boat no [direct injection easier to start and more economical], is the BMC suitable for small boats yes some spares are a bit of a pain to get but the engine does what it says on the tin. I am removing it to convert the cruiser to electric a personnel choice and no slur on the BMC at all, I am happy to sell it as a reliable motor and if I was staying diesel would keep it in the bathtub rather than replace it with something more modern.

In conclusion its old but the principle of operation is the same as most modern diesels so look after those little BMCs they are a classic

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

SNIP

, I have no idea why Tony got upset, I cant even recall his post about something specific to narrow boats, all boats move in mysterious ways, sometimes.

If you have not morphed from Lady Gardener to lady G and are a different person then I uncondtionally apologise. However I am not the only one that thinks you are the same person.

In your first topic you were advised about  canal boat handling and you responded that you race yachts that often pass within X metres of each other.  I then tried to explain to you that the way boats handle in open water with plenty of depth under them a proper "boaty" shaped hulls is very different to how a typical narrow boat handles on a canal. Your subsequent responses showed that you ether had not grasped what I said or, in view of other of your responses, felt you knew better.

You also keep on about handling "barges" and although there are there are regional differences in how boats designed for the UK narrow canals are designated most on here would call them narrowboats. Barges being reserved for wide beam inland craft. This tends to indicate a lack of knowledge about inland craft and that has been backed up time and time again by some of you replies and advice.

Now, because of the problems the OP in this thread is having you then decided to indicate to ALL readers that BMC 1.5s are complicated when they are not. Then there are the PM you sent me. I note that you have modified your opinion on BMCs somewhat and now seem to hold a far more sensible view. To turn an otherwise ideal boat down because it has a BMC engine is in my view stupid UNLESS the engine is worn out.

Whenever I think ill-informed people offering advice that I think, based on over 50 year experience in inland marine and allied disciplines, is misleading, based on insufficient experience, or just plain wrong I will respond.

I am not one who has told you to stop posting your comments and to read and learn but I think it is good advice. I think you are running out of goodwill. This is why I have been ignoring your posts asking for help and did not respncond until you stuck your oar into another poster's problems.

• Greenie 4

Just now, Calranthe said:

oh for whatever sake it took me 10 seconds in google typing canal boat mail address 

http://www.boatmail.co.uk/

yes, I saw that, strange that no one on you tube has mentioned it, so I kinda assumed that it was a bit flaky, but I would prefer to use my bros address for very important stuff, even if just to keep in touch with family, and in the long term, long term, it could be advntageous, it is the preferred option for most liveboards.

I dont like "lying" about my address, suppose I am arrested?

Just now, LadyG said:

yes, I saw that, strange that no one on you tube has mentioned it, so I kinda assumed that it was a bit flaky, but I would prefer to use my bros address for very important stuff, even if just to keep in touch with family, and in the long term, long term, it could be advntageous, it is the preferred option for most liveboards.

I dont like "lying" about my address, suppose I am arrested?

That site is actually quite official and endorsed by multiple Canal and river groups the address is valid and completely legal. but if you want to just keep creating obstacles go ahead.

5 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

.........but if you want to just keep creating obstacles go ahead

Walter Mitty springs to mind :

The character's name has come into more general use to refer to an ineffectual dreamer and appears in several dictionaries. The general dictionary definition is  :- Walter Mitty is "an ordinary often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs".

50 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you have not morphed from Lady Gardener to lady G and are a different person then I uncondtionally apologise. However I am not the only one that thinks you are the same person.

In your first topic you were advised about  canal boat handling and you responded that you race yachts that often pass within X metres of each other.  I then tried to explain to you that the way boats handle in open water with plenty of depth under them a proper "boaty" shaped hulls is very different to how a typical narrow boat handles on a canal. Your subsequent responses showed that you ether had not grasped what I said or, in view of other of your responses, felt you knew better.

You also keep on about handling "barges" and although there are there are regional differences in how boats designed for the UK narrow canals are designated most on here would call them narrowboats. Barges being reserved for wide beam inland craft. This tends to indicate a lack of knowledge about inland craft and that has been backed up time and time again by some of you replies and advice.

Now, because of the problems the OP in this thread is having you then decided to indicate to ALL readers that BMC 1.5s are complicated when they are not. Then there are the PM you sent me. I note that you have modified your opinion on BMCs somewhat and now seem to hold a far more sensible view. To turn an otherwise ideal boat down because it has a BMC engine is in my view stupid UNLESS the engine is worn out.

Whenever I think ill-informed people offering advice that I think, based on over 50 year experience in inland marine and allied disciplines, is misleading, based on insufficient experience, or just plain wrong I will respond.

I am not one who has told you to stop posting your comments and to read and learn but I think it is good advice. I think you are running out of goodwill. This is why I have been ignoring your posts asking for help and did not respncond until you stuck your oar into another poster's problems.

I did not stick my oar in, I just passed comment, I don't know why you get so upset, I thought you wanted to know if I had "the balls" for boating.

f=ma, but at 4mph, there is not too much of either, yes I did the physics of two converging vessels, and overtaking vessels, and prop walk, and so on [Ive got a Certificate!], every boat handles differently, but it does not take long to get the basics, otherwise there would be no canal hire companies.  Experience  comes with experience, does not mean I cant use knowledge from my past experience  to handle a boat on a canal. Does not mean I cant use instruction to accelerate the learning process.

Edited by LadyG

49 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

That site is actually quite official and endorsed by multiple Canal and river groups the address is valid and completely legal. but if you want to just keep creating obstacles go ahead.

If you are arrested one night you cant give a "steetaddress", and  if you are using the "streetaddress", it will be flagged up as "not your place of residence". Having an address and a residence is two different things.

It must be  a problem, as if one takes a Residential Mooring , ie with planning permission, you get a postcode, but if you have a marina mooring , a non redsidential mooring you do not get one. If you have a residential mooring you need to pay .

Council tax

Marina fees

C&RT fees,

thats £4 to 10K, so essentially, it becomes uneconomic.

I am not creating obstacles, its not as easy as handing over the keys to my house, and handing over the cash to a boat owner the same day. I dont get any cash till the day I hand over the keys, but I have to spend a lot of cash on selling the property. And another £4/5K on puting a [non return] deposit plus survey etc] all in all I need a purse of £6-7K, and most of that would be lost if something happrned to the house transaction.

The alternative is not to market the property but to sell it cash, then you get 70 to 80% of market value.

it will take three months to sell a house, and in the meantime I have to spend cash to get it ready for market, its cash, cash cash.

I have sold several houses, and there are often glitches, and often on the day. 

most liveaboards prefer to use the address of a relative or friend, then they have a sort of "official link" to a place. One does not want to become a homeless person.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If you have a residential mooring you need to pay 

Council tax

Marine fees

C&RT fees

You do not have to pay any C&RT 'fees' in many marinas - when you take the boat 'out' then you have to licence it.

Me thinks you spend too much time on 'You-Tube' and not enough time talking to real boaters.

There are several marinas around us that do not require a C&RT licence - in fact the one we purchased our last-but-one boat from did not require the boat to be 'registered', so we had to apply to C&RT to get a registration number.

Many residential boats never move out of the marina - they are 'floating flats'.

I dont want to live in a marina.

I suggest you read around a bit, C&RT provide water for marinas, and they want a licence from ALL boats on their water. So I really dont want to have to portage my boat to a private canal, that defeats the object which is to liveboard a narrow boat and cruise the cut.

I have roof over my head.

I am retired

I am stuck in this place.

I have been here twenty years and it is time to move.

The people on youtube that I follow are nearly all liveaboards,  so I suggest you have a look at "cruising the cut",  robbie cummings, , "sort of interesting life" and "narrowboat experience", where all these problems ar dscussed by folks who have overcome all the obstacles and have transitioned. These are the people who have chosen the adventurous lifestyle, they no longer own or rent houses..

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I suggest you read around a bit, C&RT provide water for marinas, and they want a licence from ALL boats on their water. So I really dont want to have to portage my boat to a private canal, that defeats the object which is to livaboard a narrow boat and cruise the cut.

I have roof over my head.

I am retiered

I am stuck in this place.

I have been here twenty years and it is time to move.

But your comment above was :

If you have a residential mooring you need to pay 

Council tax

Marine fees

C&RT fees

Which, as I understand it isn't always the  case. 

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ok - I knew that, but just get to wondering why 'having a residential mooring and payment of CT' becomes such a burning issue such that you need to comment when it is totally irrelevant to either your experiences or, future needs.