Buying unseen

KVico

Featured Posts

On 30/04/2017 at 11:36, KVico said:

Ha, I know, but I could learn!

No. A cheap boat with a wooden top as a permanent liveaboard and an owner with no DIY sensibility is a REALLY BAD combination.

No. it's worse than that actually.

On 30/04/2017 at 13:37, WotEver said:

Have you considered where you will store your, umm, waste for six to twelve months on your 40ft boat while it composts?

And where the urine will go, given you're not supposed to pour it in the cut or on the bank?

If you're planning on pouring in in the Elsan points you might just as well save your £2000 and use a Porta Potti.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Catnip King said:

The 1st boat would be what I'd look at looks full of character.

And likely, being the aforementioned wooden top, also full of rainwater (now or in the future if the new owner hasn't the skills and knowledge to look after it)! 

46 minutes ago, KVico said:

Ok a wooden top is a no. I think some people like composting toilets? But I definitely don't want a pump out.

Wooden tops are fine if you're handy and prepared to keep on top of the constant maintenance. 

Yes, some folk profess to like composting toilets yet none of them have yet been able to answer the question I asked earlier. 

Cassette toilets are simple, hygienic and practical. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, KVico said:

Ok a wooden top is a no. I think some people like composting toilets? But I definitely don't want a pump out.

People like all the toilets that are available. some think compost is the way to go, bucket and chucket think their's is the best and some don't want to carry their poo and have pumpouts

• 1 month later...

Maybe i'm too late to reply but.....

I'm going to try and balance all the negativity and say "DO IT"

Sharp intake of breath hehe.  If the price is right any faults can be rectified, even if it's a big one.   You only live once, so take a chance!

(The Bransons and Bannatynes of this world took chances and look where they are!!).

Find a hole...weld it.  Rotten wood....chop it.  Smokey engine....re-build it.  Shop around, you don't have to pay top dollar.

31 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Find a hole...weld it.  Rotten wood....chop it.  Smokey engine....re-build it.  Shop around, you don't have to pay top dollar.

Boat sinks a week after you buy it, its not insured....... Convert it..... To a sub:)

4 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

I'm new........can ya actually do that?     :P:P:P

Of course, how do you think Boaty Mcboatface started out. It use to be a springer narrowboat owned by the Beatles. 

NOC_0117_051-600x400.jpg

Edited by rusty69

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:54, ditchcrawler said:

I don't know if its been mentioned but not all boats advertised on line actually belong to the person advertising them and may not even be for sale. Normally the owner will say they are in North of Scotland or Overseas but they will arrange delivery when payment clears. So buying unseen you could be buying something that doesn't exist. This is private sales, not brokers.

very true, somebody cloned my ad for my boat and claimed it was in Scotland. Luckily a RAF guy spotted my ad and then the cloned ad and informed me 

Phil