Exhaust lagging

Featured Posts

Pictured is Lutine's exhaust and it's juxtaposition to the air cooling intake. I have removed the lagging as fibres from it were getting sucked onto the intake grill, a feature which caused the engine to overheat last October. 

Two questions: first, if I replace the lagging with new lagging is this likely to happen again, and second what are the likely consequences of running the engine for any length of time with the exhaust unlagged? As I think lagging is a requirement of the BSS  I assume not having it is unwise. 

Any thoughts? The old lagging had been o  for some time and had started to work loose, presumably it was also disintegrating. 

20170414_115007.jpg

10 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Pictured is Lutine's exhaust and it's juxtaposition to the air cooling intake. I have removed the lagging as fibres from it were getting sucked onto the intake grill, a feature which caused the engine to overheat last October. 

Two questions: first, if I replace the lagging with new lagging is this likely to happen again, and second what are the likely consequences of running the engine for any length of time with the exhaust unlagged? As I think lagging is a requirement of the BSS  I assume not having it is unwise. 

Any thoughts? The old lagging had been o  for some time and had started to work loose, presumably it was also disintegrating. 

20170414_115007.jpg

You could cover new lagging with thick oven foil with wide metal bands to secure it. Old fire blankets cut into strips make good lagging. The top stud-bolt on the gearbox reduction box is loose and hanging out.

Lagging the exhaust is no longer a BSS requirement, for private boats at least.

Whether leaving it unlagged is a good idea is a different matter of course.

Well applied replacement should not shed - if yours was, I suspect it is because it was old and knackered.  The engine and engine bay doesn't exactly look we  cared for, but I expect you know that!

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The engine and engine bay doesn't exactly look we  cared for, but I expect you know that!

Indeed! I am negotiating a replacement engine this summer and whilst it is out the engine bay will get a thorough make over! 

That's pristine to some I've seen. An old wooden hulled Harborough marine boat owned by someone here years ago was so chock full of rubbish in the engine bay, bits of wood, beer cans and bottles and junk that you literally couldn't see the SR2 engine. When he started it up it was just a shivering, trembling mass.

• Greenie 1

When the vessel I sometimes skipper gets its MCA inspection, our local inspector insists that the exhaust lagging is covered in aluminium tape, like this stuff :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Heat-Moisture-Resistant-Aluminium-Foil-Tape-45m-x-50mm-75mm-100mm-Wide-/322355504158?var=511275446374&hash=item4b0de2a41e:m:mdAyg6PzdANFTiYmuPXVJLA

Reason is to prevent any fuel spillage soaking into the lagging, which seems fairly sensible!

17 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

If the lagging is very old it might be asbestos tape, so if it is breaking up you need to sort it.  I think it was early 90's when asbestos lagging tapes were banned.

Assume anything before 2000 contains asbestos is a good rule of thumb. It is still used in other countries so avoid cheap products from overseas.

The foil idea is Superb!

Get a Bilge Rat in that engine bay, their small hands can get in all the nooks and crannies!

• 3 weeks later...

I think we have the answer as to whether it's wise to travel without the lagging: no! Thrupp to Pigeons and the engine was uncomfortably hot, as the main difference was the lack of lagging... 

It will be fitted before the boat goes any further! 

4 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I think we have the answer as to whether it's wise to travel without the lagging: no! Thrupp to Pigeons and the engine was uncomfortably hot, as the main difference was the lack of lagging... 

It will be fitted before the boat goes any further! 

Hot air being drawn into the cooling air intake?

Cheap (but not too cheap...) fire blanket around the exhaust at the forward end held back by ties to the battery tray?