Old BW video

Jon57

Featured Posts

This film was re released by BW during the "Canals 200" fiasco of the mid 1990's. It was made as a publicity film and used as such originally.  It was not a popular release and sales figures were poor compared to the other more historical biased VHS films. I still sell the "BW Archive " collection twin DVD but opted not to include "A civilised adventure". There are better copies around on "You tube" to be found.

Edited by Laurence Hogg
add info

11 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I detected accents from the Commonwealth.

I wonder if it was intended to attract tourists from Americaland.

Most enjoyable,had no objection to the North American commentary

Saw a Video in the 70's made in the U.K., the Narrators Voice was a mixture of Leonard Cohen, a 'Speak your weight ' Machine and Marvin the manic Robot from hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

A slight oversight was the omission of the forthcoming 'Rodney Invasion' which ruined much of the good works of the W.R.G. and many other Canal restoration Societies

CT

• Greenie 1

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 21:24, cereal tiller said:

A slight oversight was the omission of the forthcoming 'Rodney Invasion' which ruined much of the good works of the W.R.G.

CT

The what? I understand a "Rodney boat" to be a small rowing boat, but that doesn't fit the sense of your comment.

Interesting Athy.

My understanding of a Rodney boat was one that wasn't cared for.

Often crewed by a single man who didn't bother with keeping the cabin clean let alone scrubbing down the outside of the boat end of day or doing the brasses as he went.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Interesting Athy.

Often crewed by a single man who didn't bother with keeping the cabin clean let alone scrubbing down the outside of the boat end of day or doing the brasses as he went.

Spot on,have a Green Thing

On 28/02/2017 at 21:24, cereal tiller said:

Most enjoyable,had no objection to the North American commentary

Saw a Video in the 70's made in the U.K., the Narrators Voice was a mixture of Leonard Cohen, a 'Speak your weight ' Machine and Marvin the manic Robot from hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

A slight oversight was the omission of the forthcoming 'Rodney Invasion' which ruined much of the good works of the W.R.G. and many other Canal restoration Societies

CT

He he. Have a green one. 

A very interesting film, but marred by incomplete and misleading credits. Half the sound track was lifted directly from old BBC archive recordings, most , if not all, of which appear on the 1969 BBC LP "Narrowboats" but not credited. The credits do, however, indicate that the music was composed and performed by a Rick Mezey (whoever he is) I am not sure which music is is supposed to have performed, but one song (Keep yer hands off, she's mine) is an old Music hall song, and the rest were written and performed by David Blagrove.  Produced by Sally Ash, so why am I not surprised!

Edited by David Schweizer

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 14:49, zenataomm said:

Interesting Athy.

Not a definition which I have ever met before, so thank you for explaining.

Have you any idea of its etymology? Was there, perhaps, a real boater called Rodney whose slovenly personal habits gave rise to the term?